Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
The fight over voting
1. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 6:03AM EST
Democrats and Republicans are engaged in a furious struggle over voting rights. In almost every instance, Democrats are trying to make it easier for Americans to cast ballots, and Republicans are trying to make it harder.
Much of the fight involves voting by mail, which many people would prefer to do this year, to minimize their risk of contracting the coronavirus at a polling place. Lawyers have already filed more than 300 lawsuits, across 44 states, over issues related to pandemic voting. The most important cases are in the battleground states on which the presidential election or Senate control could hinge.

Here are the latest developments:

Pennsylvania: The state’s highest court has ruled that election officials should count mailed ballots that arrive up to three days after Election Day. Pennsylvania Republicans are trying to get the Supreme Court to reverse the order, so that only ballots received by Election Day will count.

North Carolina: Republicans and the Trump campaign have asked the Supreme Court to block the state’s board of elections from extending the deadline to receive mail ballots. The board has said ballots can arrive until Nov. 12, as long as they were mailed by Election Day.

Wisconsin: The five Republican-appointed justices on the Supreme Court sided on Monday with Republican officials in Wisconsin, ruling that ballots must arrive by 8 p.m. on Election Day to count. (A lower-court ruling would have allowed state officials to count any mailed ballots postmarked by Election Day and received up to six days later.) In response, the state’s Democratic Party is urging voters to return mail ballots in person — to a drop box or clerk’s office — rather than mailing them.

Nevada: The Trump campaign has sued to stop the counting of absentee ballots in the Las Vegas area, evidently hoping to challenge the signatures on many ballots. Last night, the campaign and Nevada Republican Party filed a separate lawsuit, seeking detailed information on the vote-counting process.

Texas: The state’s top court yesterday upheld a policy announced by Greg Abbott, the Republican governor, which limits each county to a single drop-off box for mailed ballots. The state’s largest county — Harris, which includes Houston — is home to 4.7 million people.

Michigan: A conservative judge yesterday overturned an order by Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, a Democrat, and ruled that people could carry unconcealed guns at polling places on Election Day.

In many of these cases, Republicans have argued that changing voting rules because of the pandemic could lead to fraud (a claim that’s largely baseless) and that allowing ballots to be counted after Election Day leads to confusion and chaos.

Democrats have argued that protecting people’s right to vote, during a national crisis, should be top priority. Democrats have also pointed out that some Republicans have changed their position on the counting of mailed ballots: When late-arriving ballots seemed likely to help George W. Bush in Florida in 2000, Republicans argued that the state should count them.

For more: Factcheck.org catalogs the false statements that President Trump made yesterday about voting. In Lawfare, Zahavah Levine explains the flurry of recent lawsuits. In The Washington Post, the election-law expert Richard Hasen analyzes the Supreme Court’s recent rulings. And The Times offers advice about making sure your mailed ballot counts.

NYT Summary
2. Author: RayRDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 9:19AM EST
Twitter Censors Former Obama Attorney General Eric Holder for Warning of Dangers about Mail-in Voting
https://bigleaguepolitics.com/twitter-censors-former-obama-attorney-general-eric-holder-for-warning-of-dangers-about-mail-in-voting/

Obviously mail-in voting is regarded by the progressive left to be sacrosanct and shall not be criticized or warned against by anyone, in any way or under any conditions, even by one of their own.
The totalitarian tech gods have spoken..
3. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 9:45AM EST
There's no fraud... or not enough to matter anyway. What's the point? Think about it... it's not rational. You don't get any direct gain from doing it but the punishment is astronomical relative to amount you get because you don't get sh*t.

So in order to try it, you would have to be really stupid (the ones trump is trying to get to "test the system"), or just be at a point in your life when you really just don't give a f*** (probably old and dying).

In either case, it's not enough to matter in all but the most extreme and unlikely cases.
4. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 10:11AM EST
bgz wrote:
There's no fraud... or not enough to matter anyway.

Did you miss this thread..??
http://www.cigarbid.com/.../Double-Voting-is-Real-

Mellow
5. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 10:14AM EST
Nothing in your article invalidated anything I said.
6. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 10:16AM EST
There are several articles in that thread... Mellow
7. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 10:36AM EST
bgz wrote:
There's no fraud... or not enough to matter anyway. What's the point? Think about it... it's not rational. You don't get any direct gain from doing it but the punishment is astronomical relative to amount you get because you don't get sh*t.

So in order to try it, you would have to be really stupid (the ones trump is trying to get to "test the system"), or just be at a point in your life when you really just don't give a f*** (probably old and dying).

In either case, it's not enough to matter in all but the most extreme and unlikely cases.

My buddy's grandma will be collecting and completing 18 ballots this year... she had 4 more grandkids hit voting age since the last election...
8. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 10:39AM EST
So she falls under the old and don't gaf anymore... I believe that was one of my cases.
9. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 10:50AM EST
Ya... kinda makes your opening sentence seem dumb...
10. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 11:15AM EST
No fraud or not enough to matter?

Unless you know 100k grandmas doing the same sh*t, it really don't matter. It only matters in the most tightly contested races... which are rare. Which my post also indirectly pointed out as a possibility. Go look at DED's post about crime statistics... it's similar to that.
11. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 12:19PM EST
The real concern is that once the votes are counted on election night and there appears to be a winner, in certain key states over the following few days a few boxes of tens of thousands of votes show up and the election flips.

This is the kind of thing coups are made of. It is already clear that the media has chosen the winner. Now we just need to make the numbers fit.
12. Author: Smooth lightDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 12:20PM EST
Voter ID; like credit cards and we can all call-in on one day, vote/verify at the same time. What the hell is high tech for anyway.

13. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 12:43PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
My buddy's grandma will be collecting and completing 18 ballots this year... she had 4 more grandkids hit voting age since the last election...

I have no problem with the grandmother completing her family members' ballots for them- if that is what her grandchildren wish (providing there is not doing anything illegal).

Other than than knowing who he wanted to vote for President, my son wanted me to fill in the down-ballot for him because he happens to know nothing about it. So, I filled my son's ballot for him after he told me to who he wanted to vote for President. My daughter called me to asked my advice and did what I told her to on the state constitutional amendment . She filled it out exactly like I told her to.

Nothing wrong worth offering/getting help or having someone fill out your ballot for you. Hell, in Florida, you can have someone vote for you at the poll if you are unable to yourself. Just bring them along. Or, ask an election worker for help.
14. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 1:00PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
The real concern is that once the votes are counted on election night and there appears to be a winner, in certain key states over the following few days a few boxes of tens of thousands of votes show up and the election flips.

This is the kind of thing coups are made of. It is already clear that the media has chosen the winner. Now we just need to make the numbers fit.

Why do we need to know for certain on election night who wins? It isn't going to happen unless there is a landslide.
15. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 1:02PM EST
Ya, Consuela gets the ballots cuz her grandkids don't wanna be the one she hates... woman drinks like a fish and beats her husband like he's a sack of flour...
16. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 1:29PM EST
Sounds like she has her ship in line.
17. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 1:49PM EST
rfenst wrote:
Why do we need to know for certain on election night who wins? It isn't going to happen unless there is a landslide.

It is very important to uphold the appearance that elections are run fairly. The media has been pounding the narrative that Biden will win solidly. If it looks good for Biden and then over the course of the next few days tens of thousands of Trump votes roll in and it swings the election, cities will burn and people will die. This is already pretty much promised anyway if Trump wins but it could be far worse if there is an appearance of shenanigans.
18. Author: ZRX1200Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 2:12PM EST
I’m really offended that I don’t have enough bullets for the revolution.
19. Author: ZRX1200Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 2:13PM EST
#gimmebackmybullets
20. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 3:16PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
It is very important to uphold the appearance that elections are run fairly. The media has been pounding the narrative that Biden will win solidly. If it looks good for Biden and then over the course of the next few days tens of thousands of Trump votes roll in and it swings the election, cities will burn and people will die. This is already pretty much promised anyway if Trump wins but it could be far worse if there is an appearance of shenanigans.

Kinda sorta like "Dewey Defeats Truman"?
21. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 3:18PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:

Kinda, sorta, like "Dewey Defeats Truman"?
22. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 3:47PM EST
Did we burn cities down after that election?

Lets just say this is the first presidential election in my lifetime where on election night I will have a list of certain “no-go” areas. Example: Oakland, Sacramento
23. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 4:18PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Did we burn cities down after that election?

Lets just say this is the first presidential election in my lifetime where on election night I will have a list of certain “no-go” areas. Example: Oakland, Sacramento

LOLOLOL!!!

Like you were ever going to go to Oakland!!!Frying pan Frying pan Frying pan
24. Author: BuckyB93Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 4:20PM EST
You have a problem with places like Oakland and Sacramento being burned down? I'd consider it a net positive outcome from the law of unintended consequences.
25. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 4:29PM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
You have a problem with places like Oakland and Sacramento being burned down? I'd consider it a net positive outcome from the law of unintended consequences.

If effective enough we call it gentrification.
26. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 4:32PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
LOLOLOL!!!

Like you were ever going to go to Oakland!!!Frying pan Frying pan Frying pan

I’ve gone under it on BART and through it on the freeways! There are supposed to be some really nice areas like around Jack London Square but I haven’t explored much. The homeless, the shootings, stacks of ‘Rona dead in the streets, rioting and looting have kept me away.
27. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 4:34PM EST
If Trump loses, my Chinese lookin azz is stayin home...too many offended militiamen will be out target acquisitioning, complaining about too few bullets...
28. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 4:51PM EST
You ain’t got no militiamen down there! San Bernardino maybe.
29. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 6:04PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
It is very important to uphold the appearance that elections are run fairly.

yet the one claiming that this important pillar of our country is a sham is the President of the United States of America.
And he started loooooong ago.

That's the sad part, the leader of the free world undermining our basic institutions of freedom, trashing them relentlessly while still having offered no proof as solid as Opie's Grandmother tale.
30. Author: Smooth lightDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 6:21PM EST
It will a good second act, just as the opening act, 🎭entertaining and we didn't need to buy a tickets 🎟️.

The title "RESIST" WE ARE THE MINDLESS, know-it-all.🤓
31. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 8:07PM EST
sorry Smooth light...there will be no act two...

Trump's behavior in the last few months, especially after he caught the COVID, enduring the reality of life during a pandemic that proved too difficult for him to manage, has shown us that he's essentially going through the motions, spending up his campaign chest what he couldn't shift into his personal accounts....he's basically given up...

and there are very few GOP peeps campaigning for him...most GOP candidates running for office are trying to distance themselves

on Nov 3, or shortly thereafter, he's gonna hear the majority of Americans say, "You're Fired!!!"
32. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 8:40PM EST
I think we're gonna hear the Dems scream, 'voter fraud '.... Mellow
33. Author: Smooth lightDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 9:10PM EST
Act 2 : is going to be GREAT!
fakes and the snowflakes going insane, it's all Joe's fault, and Nancy too.

Boo who on you, enjoy whining and dining in mom's basement.

mom said "Joe can't stay here, no way in hell."
34. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 10/29/2020, 5:07PM EST
Walmart has announced they are removing guns and ammo from store shelves in preparation for the upcoming left wing sponsored rioting and looting.
35. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 10/29/2020, 5:33PM EST
even the lib leaning LA Times ran a story about a lib Black female buying her very first gun because she's become frightened of how politics under Trump have unleashed intolerance and hatred and pulled back the veneer of civility that used to be the norm...she has sensed more open hostility while going out in public to work or shop...

being nice to "other" people is so "Politically Correct, F*** that"

I'm suspicious of my next door neighbors...they have a 6'x8' Trump-Pence 2020 banner hanging from their front porch...I know he's got a cache of semi-auto rifles and handguns and thousands of rounds of ammo...pretty sure he's a Bugaloo Boy fan, since he wears Hawaiian shirts occasionally...I always hear Rush or Sean blaring from their radios and TVs...

I knew I'd regret giving him permission to marry my daughter...he converted her from a lefty into a right wing-nut...
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic