Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
New TV recommendations / thoughts
1. Author: PalamaDate: Mon, 1/31/2022, 2:40PM EST
So I finally relented and agreed with my wife that we should get a bigger TV. Our current TV is a 46” Sony XBR bought in 2011 to specifically watch the Packers play the Steelers in the Super Bowl. Not that we’re looking for a new one so we can watch the Bengals - Rams but as Kevin Greene once said, “It is time.”

Research is in its early stages but looking at stepping up to an OLED in almost anything bigger than a 46” but not crazy big like a 65”er. I’ve ALWAYS been a Sony guy (…worked for them for 6 years back in the ‘80s when they were the dominate electronics company…) and would like to stay there but not etched in stone.

Looking for recommendations on what to get with rationale on why, as well as anyone’s experiences with OLED technology and picture experience.

TIA.
2. Author: Ram27Date: Mon, 1/31/2022, 2:51PM EST
Should be good buys for Super Bowl. Good luck with purchase.
3. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 1/31/2022, 7:29PM EST
wish I could help but I've got a17-18 year old Sony Bravia 32" plasma, 4 year old Samsung 43" LED, a 13-14 year old Panasonic 52'' plasma and a 5-6 year old Panasonic 55" plasma...all good TV's but not the priciest or full-featured...

plasmas are obsolete...OLED is the new stuff and the pictures look awesome on the display models at Costco...
4. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Mon, 1/31/2022, 8:34PM EST
If you have the dough, OLEDs are pretty awesome. We couldn't afford that so went with Samsung's QLED tech.

FYI 65" isn't as crazy big as it used to be.
Sony's viewing distance to screen size recommendation are:
3.28ft to 49 to 55in
3.94ft to 65in
4.59ft to 75in
5.25ft to 85in

Of course you also have to balance against the space you have. Also, of course, these recommendations are coming to you from the people who really want to sell more expensive TVs
5. Author: PalamaDate: Mon, 1/31/2022, 9:21PM EST
Ram27 wrote:
Should be good buys for Super Bowl. Good luck with purchase.

Thanks. We're not in a rush so can wait and see.

delta1 wrote:
wish I could help but I've got a17-18 year old Sony Bravia 32" plasma, 4 year old Samsung 43" LED, a 13-14 year old Panasonic 52'' plasma and a 5-6 year old Panasonic 55" plasma...all good TV's but not the priciest or full-featured...

plasmas are obsolete...OLED is the new stuff and the pictures look awesome on the display models at Costco...

Well before we got our LCD, I semi-seriously thought about getting a plasma. But the cost was definitely prohibitive and then one of my tennis buddies, who had a Panasonic, told me about some issues with the technology so decided to hold off. The decision to go flat screen was also delayed when I was able to get a 32" Trinitron for something like $300. It was a Class B unit, forgot if it was a brand new unit with a damaged box that made it unsaleable or it was a unit that had been in for repair but it took too long to get the part(s) so credit or a new unit was given to the customer / dealer. In any case, I got a damn good deal so stuck with big-azz tube TV for a bit longer.
6. Author: PalamaDate: Mon, 1/31/2022, 9:22PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
If you have the dough, OLEDs are pretty awesome. We couldn't afford that so went with Samsung's QLED tech.

FYI 65" isn't as crazy big as it used to be.
Sony's viewing distance to screen size recommendation are:
3.28ft to 49 to 55in
3.94ft to 65in
4.59ft to 75in
5.25ft to 85in

Of course you also have to balance against the space you have. Also, of course, these recommendations are coming to you from the people who really want to sell more expensive TVs

Pretty much decided to go OLED. As I was doing my research, found some interesting info:

1. Sony buys their OLED panels from LG. While I was still working for Sony, we had prototypes of OLED albeit only in a small format, maybe 8.5" x 11" or thereabouts.

2. The Sony processor seems to be the best between the 3 major brands. Sony still makes them. Since we're not gamers, some of the downside comments don't really apply to us.

3. Locally, Best Buy doesn't seem to have the Sony 55" that's within our budget in stock. Two to 3 weeks out or 3-4 days if I wanna pay for expedited shipping.

Fo' sure, the eye test is gonna be a big factor in what we decide to get.
7. Author: BuckyB93Date: Mon, 1/31/2022, 10:03PM EST
Palama wrote:
Pretty much decided to go OLED. As I was doing my research, found some interesting info:

1. Sony buys their OLED panels from LG. While I was still working for Sony, we had prototypes of OLED albeit only in a small format, maybe 8.5" x 11" or thereabouts.

2. The Sony processor seems to be the best between the 3 major brands. Sony still makes them. Since we're not gamers, some of the downside comments don't really apply to us.

3. Locally, Best Buy doesn't seem to have the Sony 55" that's within our budget in stock. Two to 3 weeks out or 3-4 days if I wanna pay for expedited shipping.

Fo' sure, the eye test is gonna be a big factor in what we decide to get.

That reminds me, I should schedule an inspection of my eyeballs. Haven't had them looked at for about 2 yrs. I might be due for some tie rod guard upgrades.

8. Author: MACSDate: Mon, 1/31/2022, 10:06PM EST
I recently replaced my 2 TV's.

I just went with a 50" and a 55" Fire TV. Pretty happy with them right now and I got them both, delivered, for just a shade under $800.
9. Author: PalamaDate: Mon, 1/31/2022, 10:17PM EST
MACS wrote:
I recently replaced my 2 TV's.

I just went with a 50" and a 55" Fire TV. Pretty happy with them right now and I got them both, delivered, for just a shade under $800.

Hmm, never thought of that. Will check it out.

Thanks. ThumpUp
10. Author: danmdevriesDate: Mon, 1/31/2022, 11:00PM EST
I got this a year and a half ago and am happy with it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401722.p?skuId=6401722

It replaced a HD projector and screen, so no TV or anything connected to it. It's just the receiver for the xbox signal output. Audio is separated and there's no tuner, I don't use the onboard apps or anything. It's just a video screen.

11. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 1/31/2022, 11:31PM EST
check in wif thunder.gerbil.
12. Author: thursonDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 6:34AM EST
A good site for reviews is, Rtings.com
What I like is they break down the performance by category, sports, TV, movies, etc. We cut the cable over a year ago and stream everything so it was important to get a TV that performed in that area.
Sunover's right, 65" isn't that big.

13. Author: deadeyedickDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 8:48AM EST
Still running a Sony Bravia 55" that must be 15 years old at this point. Rated best quality picture and sound at the time but they were expensive. IIRC about $1600.

Bought a new LG 55" from Costco two years ago for the mountain house but it can't match the Sony in picture quality or sound. Had to purchase a sound bar for that one.
14. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 9:00AM EST
Recently bought a 75" Samsung and saved hundreds on Amazon.
15. Author: bgzDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 9:27AM EST
I have an old 50 plasma and a 55 120hz lcd...

I pretty much only watch my 15 inch laptop.

I realized I can't see worth a f*** anymore, so it don't matter.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic