Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev1112131415NextLast
Electric vehicles - what does the future hold?
601. Author: burning_sticksDate: Thu, 4/6/2023, 8:40AM EST
Brewha wrote:
From Forbes:

EVs That Can Save The Most In Ownership Costs Vs. Their ICE Counterparts

1. Porsche Taycan vs. Porsche Panamera
Taycan purchase price: $88,150; five-year ownership costs: $91,597. Panamera price: $93,850; ownership costs: $125,075. Net EV savings: $33,478.

2. Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus vs. BMW 330i
Model 3 purchase price: $46,190; five-year ownership costs: $48,720. 330i price: $42,445; ownership costs: $69,590. Net EV savings: $20,870.

3. Chevrolet Bolt 1LT vs. Chevrolet Malibu 1LT
Bolt EV purchase price: $26,595; five-year ownership costs: $36,020. Malibu price: $28,398; ownership costs: $55,778. Net EV savings: $19,758.

3. Tesla Model S Base vs. BMW 740i xDrive
Model S purchase price: $96,190; five-year ownership costs: $115,430. 740i price: $90,795; ownership costs: $131,663. Net EV savings: $16,223.

5. Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Supercrew 4WD vs. Ford F-150 XL 2.7L Ecoboost Supercrew 4WD
F-150 Lightning purchase price: $41,769; five-year ownership costs: $49,114. F-150 XL price: $43,750; ownership costs: $64,539. Net EV savings: $15,425.

The base price of a 2023 Ford lightning is currently just over 60,000, only up 20,000 from last year. Kind of cuts into your saving.
602. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/7/2023, 1:18PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
Where does Forbes get their pricing exactly?
'23 Lightning in Schaumburg - $87,429
In Merrillville - $72,299
In Oak Lawn - $60,988
Cars.com - $61,769

Seeing a '22 Model 3 with 9k miles for sale at $46,995 with cargurus calling it a fair price, so hard to see brand new selling for $46,190

Model S is all over the map. Some close to stated. Some less. Some over $110k

Bolt pretty close but mostly seeing $28-30k

And I don't believe Porsche owners have ever been concerned about cost of ownership, or they wouldn't be Porsche owners

I have no idea where Forbes get their data - and things often change...

But the point of the article is cost of owner ship for EV's - on average they are cheaper in the long run. They have been for me.

I think one problem with Ford is the ongoing Dealer date rape. They like to tac $5,000 to $20,000 onto the sticker as a "market adjustment".
We would be better off without car dealerships imo.

Today's price on a new base model Tesla Model 3 is $41,990 and also qualifies for a $7,500 tax credit (tesla.com).
So, $34,490 + TTL.
603. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/7/2023, 1:20PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
From Forbes eh?

Did it occur to you to actually go to the manufacturers websites and try ordering one?

It did.

I did.

Got it for the online price and had it for about a year now.

Love it!
604. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/7/2023, 1:24PM EST
burning_sticks wrote:
The base price of a 2023 Ford lightning is currently just over 60,000, only up 20,000 from last year. Kind of cuts into your saving.

Wow - you are right.
Forbes is wrong.

Of course it is Ford we are talking about...and they have been struggling, and raising prices.
605. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 4/13/2023, 9:54AM EST
Brewha wrote:
It did.

I did.

Got it for the online price and had it for about a year now.

Love it!

What is this jibberish?

Go to manufacturers websites and build out what Forbes lists as "prices". Forbes didn't even do any real fact checking on that article...AT ALL.

Nobody GAF about your fart car except you. Saw where you traded in a car you supposedly liked.

DrafterX wrote: Shoulda bought a G37... Mellow

Brewha wrote:
Wow, I just sold mine.

That thing was great.

It was so great that you got rid of that? Let that marinate for a minute. No sane individual does that with regards to major purchases.

606. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 4/13/2023, 9:57AM EST
Biden’s Tax Credits for Electric Cars ‘Running into a Problem’ as China Controls Supply Chain

President Joe Biden’s tax credits for American-made electric vehicles are “running into a problem,” a new report details, as China controls the supply chain for raw materials needed to manufacture batteries.

Last year, House and Senate Democrats approved Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act which gives thousands of dollars in tax credits to American consumers to buy electric vehicles made in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada.

Now, Axios reports that Biden’s electric vehicle tax credits “to spur domestic battery manufacturing is running into a problem: Some critical raw materials are only found abroad, and China controls much of the supply.”

Specifically, China dominates a number of raw materials needed to manufacture batteries for electric vehicles such as graphite, lithium, and cobalt. By 2025, for instance, China is set to control about a third of all of the world’s lithium.

Some automaker executives, like Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares, are hoping the Chinese raw materials issue boosts a free trade consensus among Washington, DC, lawmakers as they warn against economic nationalist policies that prioritize domestic industries.

“There are a lot of traps,” Tavares told Axios. “The world is fragmenting, and global trade is going backwards.”

China’s dominance in the electric vehicles market has already come to a head in Michigan where Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) has celebrated a $3.5 billion battery plant in Marshall, Michigan, as part of a deal between Ford and China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. (CATL).

Ford Motor Company and China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. (CATL) are planning a $3.5 billion electric vehicle plant in Marshall, Michigan. https://t.co/xcJp2ABm5s

— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) February 15, 2023

CATL is China’s premier electric vehicle battery supplier and enjoys immense support from subsidies overseen by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Despite China’s direct involvement with the plant, Ford is hoping to score federal subsidies through Biden’s tax credits.

As Breitbart News reported in February, CATL CEO Zeng Yuqun has deep ties to the CCP. Yuqun is a member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) National Committee — a high-ranking CCP advisory body that serves as a central component of the party’s “United Front” efforts.

China’s “United Front” efforts, as the federal government has detailed, are considered to be a front for CCP intelligence operations overseas.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) has since written to Biden’s top officials urging them to block federal subsidies to Ford over its deal with CATL.

“If Chinese companies like CATL are able to exploit both Chinese and United States incentives for battery and electric vehicle technology through clever corporate arrangements, then there is no use in investing federal funds toward industrial development in the first place,” Rubio wrote.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/04/12/report-bidens-tax-credits-for-electric-cars-running-into-a-problem-as-china-controls-supply-chain/

So, not only is the Pedo In Thief beholden to the CCP, but now he's got corporations ass deep in bed with them too! If you really cannot see the "game" afoot then they've already won. America stands for nothing.
607. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 4/13/2023, 10:14AM EST
But...these go to 11!, er...come with a rebate!whip

Despite $7,500 Inflation Reduction Act Tax Credit, Americans Are Just Not That Into EVs

Here's a peculiar sentiment check that we're sure will have liberal voting soccer moms across the nation stunned: it looks as though the country simply isn't rushing out to buy electric vehicles.

At least that was the takeaway from a new Financial Times piece out this week which notes that the U.S. "still lags much of the developed world" in EV adoption.

No wonder those hurricanes coming up the Gulf Coast keep getting bigger! Quick, everybody to the Tesla dealership!

But seriously, the lack of demand is going to also be sure to stun the government, who has been offering tax breaks of up to $7,500 to try and incentivize people to go electric. Though the Inflation Reduction Act incentivizes EVs, imagine how surprised Democratic leaders will be to find out that they aren't the free market and can't plan a state run economy in its entirety.

Instead, FT reveals that "just two in every 10 Americans are “very likely” to buy an EV as their next car", even with the additional IRA subsidies. The number shifts to 1 in 10 Americans among Republicans.

Cost and charger availability are being cited as the two main reasons people aren't buying EVs. Behind them, price still remains a key factor.

And when it came to those who wanted to buy an EV, the IRA subsidy was only cited by 6 in 10 people even cited it as a reason, with only 3 in 10 calling it a "major reason" to buy an EV.

As FT concluded, "economics still trumps ideology".

But don't worry, the Biden administration won't take this as a lesson on why government control of the economy doesn't work - rather, we're certain they'll see it as a prompt to shell out more taxpayer purchasing power as "incentives" to fundamentally alter the course of the notoriously low-margin, capital intensive, auto business - and then blame Donald Trump when their plans don't work out.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/despite-7500-inflation-reduction-act-tax-credit-americans-are-just-not-evs

Just do it for the CCP.
608. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 4/13/2023, 12:53PM EST
I think everyone that wants one has one now.. they should prolly stop making them... Mellow
609. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/14/2023, 1:01PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
What is this jibberish?

Go to manufacturers websites and build out what Forbes lists as "prices". Forbes didn't even do any real fact checking on that article...AT ALL.

Nobody GAF about your fart car except you. Saw where you traded in a car you supposedly liked.

DrafterX wrote: Shoulda bought a G37... Mellow

It was so great that you got rid of that? Let that marinate for a minute. No sane individual does that with regards to major purchases.

Well D, may I call you D?
The G37 was a great car. Before that I had a G35 - also a great car. I traded off the G35 because I had driven it for 6-7 years and the new G37 were nicer (keyless entry, NAV, etc.). Besides who wants to drive the same car for their entire life?
So after many years with the G37, I started looking for an upgrade.

Saw the Tesla and blew it off. Who the f*ck wants some "electric car"? What if I need to drive it in the rain?

But the more I looked and read, I decided to take a test drive. Turns out they used that new "water proof electricity". Who wooda thunk it?

Anyway - The Model 3 is better than the G37 in every measure - except one - where Tesla doesn't compete and falls on their face. The sun roof. You can't get one on a Tesla. And I loved my sun roof.

But now my phone is my key, gas in near free, no oil changes - and THE BEST DAMN TECH on the roads.

Trouble is that now I feel sorry for peeps that don't have a Tesla....so it goes.
610. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/14/2023, 1:04PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I think everyone that wants one has one now.. they should prolly stop making them... Mellow

That's what you said years ago about iPhones.... Mellow
611. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 4/14/2023, 10:46PM EST
saw this from Bloomber News in my Boston Globe this morning...

"Exxon Mobil Corp. and Toyota Motor Corp. formed a partnership to test out low-carbon fuels in gasoline engines, potentially offering a way for drivers to reduce emissions without upgrading to an electric vehicle.

The fuel blends are made from cleaner feedstocks and could one day cut greenhouse gas emissions from internal combustion engines by as much as 75% compared with regular gasoline, said Andrew Madden, Exxon’s vice president for strategy and planning, citing initial trial results. The fuels proved compatible with Toyota vehicles, raising the prospect of a drop-in solution that could compete with battery-powered cars in future."

looks like in a couple years I'll buy an electric vehicle and after a few years there might even be zero carbon "gas".
612. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sat, 4/15/2023, 7:42AM EST
Sounds like it will never compete with electric due to costs. But might be a possible transition fuel for those of us who continue to drive gas burners until green hydrogen is available.
613. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sun, 4/16/2023, 12:13PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Well D, may I call you D?
The G37 was a great car. Before that I had a G35 - also a great car. I traded off the G35 because I had driven it for 6-7 years and the new G37 were nicer (keyless entry, NAV, etc.). Besides who wants to drive the same car for their entire life?
So after many years with the G37, I started looking for an upgrade.

Saw the Tesla and blew it off. Who the f*ck wants some "electric car"? What if I need to drive it in the rain?

But the more I looked and read, I decided to take a test drive. Turns out they used that new "water proof electricity". Who wooda thunk it?

Anyway - The Model 3 is better than the G37 in every measure - except one - where Tesla doesn't compete and falls on their face. The sun roof. You can't get one on a Tesla. And I loved my sun roof.

But now my phone is my key, gas in near free, no oil changes - and THE BEST DAMN TECH on the roads.

Trouble is that now I feel sorry for peeps that don't have a Tesla....so it goes.

Like I previously stated and you ignored...no sane individual does that with regards to a major purchase.

Sunroofs are for people that drink White Claws and wear pastel colors while driving around in fart cars.

You can feel whatever you want. They do not prove facts wrong or right. They're yours alone. Nobody else GAF about them.

614. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sun, 4/16/2023, 12:18PM EST
Joe Biden’s Electric Car Dream Is a Lie

Biden’s EV policy combines fascistic decrees, magic thinking, exorbitant costs, elusive benefits, and powerful acid. If the White House pumps enough LSD into the U.S. water supply, however, every American could enjoy Emperor Biden’s phantasmagorical vision.

US President Joe Biden.

Regarding electric vehicles, President Joe Biden cannot simply use his bully pulpit to preach EVs’ virtues. Gift-wrapping them in lavish taxpayer-funded subsidies is not enough for Biden, either.

So, this dictator rules by fiat. Rather than ask Congress to enact a pro-EV law, Emperor Biden issued a decree on Wednesday, via the Environmental Protection Agency.

By 2030, 54% of new passenger vehicles must be electric. Just two years later, that mandate would grow by more than one-fifth, until 67% of new cars and light trucks are electric in 2032.

This edict bludgeons personal freedom, is terminally grandiose, and defies economic reality. It surely was crafted by leprechauns whom Biden just befriended in Ireland.

Most offensive, Biden’s directive tells American adults which vehicles to purchase. I respect a woman’s right to choose which car to buy. Biden disrespects that right and will make it tougher for women (and men) to exercise it.

Barking orders at grown Americans gives Biden and other Democrats something close to carnal satisfaction. For the 47% of Americans who recently told pollsters that they are “Not too likely/Not at all likely” to buy EVs, Biden’s command feels like taking a cold shower—alone.

Biden’s mandate is absurdly overambitious.

Last year, just 5.8% of new cars were EVs. So, Biden demands a 931% increase in EV sales in the next seven years. That’s a 133% annual hike through 2030. And he ordains 1,155.2% unit-sales growth in the next nine years, a 128.3% yearly boost between today and 2032.

Good luck.

The Alliance for Automotive Innovation said: “This requires a massive, 100-year change to the U.S. industrial base and the way Americans drive.”

Imposing such a wholesale economic overhaul this swiftly would rival Mao Zedong’s Great Leap Forward. That government program killed a mere 20 million Chinese citizens.

This timetable is unachievable, especially when Biden padlocks mining projects in Alaska, Nevada, and Minnesota, and additional sources of copper, cobalt, lithium, and other minerals indispensable to EV production.

Biden also killed former President Donald Trump’s reforms of the National Environmental Policy Act. Trump accelerated up-or-down decisions on permits for power plants and other major projects. Thanks to Biden, these applications—even “green” ones—once again will wallow for years in purgatory.

All of this will make it harder to build traditional power stations and Biden’s blessed windmills and solar farms.

Even if America manufactured all of these EVs, what would happen after they got plugged into an already strained electrical grid? Imagine a national overburdened power-strip inferno.

“Independent estimates indicate that we need to expand electricity transmission systems by 60% by 2030, and may need to triple it by 2050 to meet the country’s increase in renewable generation and expanding electrification needs,” the U.S. Department of Energy stated last May 10.

“Between 2008 and 2021, according to C Three Group, the U.S. high-voltage transmission system grew by about 1,700 miles per year,” energy scholar Robert Bryce wrote Feb. 9 on Substack. At 1,700 miles of new high-voltage power-line construction per year, increasing today’s 240,000 miles of HV lines by 60%, or 144,000 miles, would take 84 years, or until 2107. That would miss Biden’s 2030 target by just 77 years. To build this new capacity by Biden’s 2030 deadline, productivity would have to rocket twelvefold.

What would this cost? Bryce calculates about $4 million per mile. So, these 144,000 miles would devour $576 billion or $82.3 billion annually between now and 2030.

That assumes that rural communities would welcome these new power lines.

They won’t.

Bryce cites several prospective power lines that are being studied to death or have been killed outright in Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and New Hampshire.

The TransWest Express initiative is supposed to convey wind power from Wyoming to Utah, Nevada, and California. Launched in 2005, TransWest might break ground this year and conclude construction in 2026. If so, 21 years will have passed between design and deployment.

Regarding this humongous transmission upgrade, Bryce predicts: “Such a massive expansion of the grid will not happen.”

Biden & Co. believe that solar and wind power will fuel all of this.

How cute.

Solar and wind power might be the most peaceful, beautiful, love-inducing, anti-racist energy sources ever devised. Unfortunately, they are intermittent: That pesky sun sets nightly, and the wind sometimes stops. That’s when power generation collapses to zero.

Coal, oil, and natural gas might be the world’s most disgusting, evil, bigoted fonts of energy. However, they produce electricity 24/7/365—even at midnight and when the breeze slows to a whisper.

Biden will wound Americans if he successfully forces 67% of new cars to rely on unreliable power from sources that routinely crater and a grid already plagued with brownouts and blackouts.

“Power outages from severe weather have doubled over the past two decades across the United States,” the Department of Energy reported last May, “and the frequency and length of power failures reached their highest levels since reliability tracking began in 2013—with U.S. customers on average experiencing more than eight hours of outages in 2020.”

Indeed, just after California’s Democratic governor, Gavin Newsom, issued his own EV diktat last year, state officials told people to leave their automobiles unplugged as megawatts waned amid the summer swelter. An Aug. 31 Washington Examiner headline encapsulated this farce: “California won’t let you charge the electric car it wants to force you to buy.”

These EV rules parallel the Biden regime’s War on Appliances. These neo-Marxists want to scrap natural-gas stoves, heaters, air conditioners, and other devices. They want everything to be electric, even as demand outstrips supply.

So, will Biden’s proclamation at least curb so-called global warming?

According to a White House statement: “Through 2055, EPA projects that the proposed standards would avoid nearly 10 billion tons of CO2 emissions—equivalent to more than twice the annual U.S. CO2 emissions in 2022.” Thus, over the next 32 years, Biden’s scheme would cut U.S. CO2 by 312.5 million tons annually, totaling 10 billion tons at mid-century.

Too bad China produced 10.081 billion tons of CO2 in 2020 alone, the International Energy Agency reports. Hence, China’s yearly CO2 output would obliterate whatever “gains” Biden imagines over a 32-year period.

In other words: Unless Beijing revolutionizes its behavior, Biden’s 10-billion-ton CO2 reduction will vanish within a 320-billion-ton cloud of Red Chinese carbon.

Biden’s EV policy combines fascistic decrees, magic thinking, exorbitant costs, elusive benefits, and powerful acid. If the White House pumps enough LSD into the U.S. water supply, however, every American could enjoy Emperor Biden’s phantasmagorical vision.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/04/joe-bidens-electric-car-dream-is-a-lie/

Just like Covid, Ukraine, gas stoves, air conditioners, guns...this guy rules like a fascist dictator. He's delusional and not in control of his faculties. He is not able to lead this nation much less be the leader of the Free World that it needs. Our allies are now siding with the CCP and Russia. We're selling petroleum out of our reserves to China and buying it from a despot nation like Venezuela. Wake up and see this political party for what it is. LSD isn't going to make them more palatable.
615. Author: tonygrazDate: Sun, 4/16/2023, 3:09PM EST
Only crazy people base their life choices and commentaries on politics.
616. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sun, 4/16/2023, 3:31PM EST
tonygraz wrote:

What if politics mandate life choices?
617. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sun, 4/16/2023, 3:48PM EST
Politics now mandates you don’t get choices.

Sincerely,
The Deep State
618. Author: tonygrazDate: Mon, 4/17/2023, 7:55AM EST
The new Chevy bolt can be had for under 16K with all discounts if you qualify for the big $7500 Fed. rebate. Price therefore is not a big negative. What troubles me is the range and availability of charging stations along with the question of durability. It seems inevitable that we will go electric and that within 10 years most cars will be electric powered.
619. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 4/17/2023, 9:11AM EST
Sometimes things seem inevitable when there are state and federal laws mandating it.
620. Author: RayRDate: Mon, 4/17/2023, 11:48AM EST
The regime mandates that you must generally obey as a matter of duty their dicktates. And you should assume that the regime has a special kind of wisdom that is superior to ordinary wisdom.
Bwahaha. There is a crazy amount of idjuts that fall for that chit.
621. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 4/19/2023, 7:16PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Like I previously stated and you ignored...no sane individual does that with regards to a major purchase.

Sunroofs are for people that drink White Claws and wear pastel colors while driving around in fart cars.

You can feel whatever you want. They do not prove facts wrong or right. They're yours alone. Nobody else GAF about them.

Well D, many people trade in a 5-10 year old car for a new one all the time. “Upgrades”.
Now in your world that many quality as “insane”. Which worries me some what about your world view.
Hopefully, you don’t regard it as “insane” to upgrade your shorts.

You need not feel envy about those of us with sun roofs. And if you simply don’t look good in pastels, well, who does?

Honestly, you seem stuck in the 20th century. Maybe you should at least try a phone with a camera?
622. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 4/19/2023, 7:17PM EST
tonygraz wrote:

Now you are just trying to hurt DMS’s feeling, aren’t you?
623. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 4/19/2023, 7:18PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
What if politics mandate life choices?

When have they not?
624. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 4/19/2023, 7:26PM EST
tonygraz wrote:
The new Chevy bolt can be had for under 16K with all discounts if you qualify for the big $7500 Fed. rebate. Price therefore is not a big negative. What troubles me is the range and availability of charging stations along with the question of durability. It seems inevitable that we will go electric and that within 10 years most cars will be electric powered.

The base Model 3 is now $39,990 less a $3,750 tax rebate. Which makes it a steal.

The Chevy Bolt is a plainly inferior product, which might still be worth it depending on your situation.

I really am enjoying the outrage at EVs from those who have little or no understanding. especially knowing tha in 10 years they will own one…
625. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 8:44AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Well D, many people trade in a 5-10 year old car for a new one all the time. “Upgrades”.
Now in your world that many quality as “insane”. Which worries me some what about your world view.
Hopefully, you don’t regard it as “insane” to upgrade your shorts.

You need not feel envy about those of us with sun roofs. And if you simply don’t look good in pastels, well, who does?

Honestly, you seem stuck in the 20th century. Maybe you should at least try a phone with a camera?

More Kameltoes word salad smith that doesn't mean a damned thing to me. You're as rabid about EV's as you were with getting jabbed and masked up with Covid. You really are a DNC wet dream. They say jump and you flail up and down as high as you can and tell everyone else to as well. Not everyone buys what they're selling. Speaking of which your fart car has been marked down again...twice in a week. I'm sure you're going to chirp about how you got a steal, but from when you bought it to what you can now...you've overpaid. Enjoy the Emperor's New Fart Car, it was tailored made for you and Biden. Oh, he's not going to be giving up his vintage Corvette. LMMFAO!!!!!

Biden Struggles To Convince People To Buy EVs, Only 12% Seriously Considering

A Gallup survey highlights Biden's struggle to force people into EVs...

Gallup reports Most Americans Are Not Completely Sold on Electric Vehicles

Current ownership of electric vehicles among partisans is 6% for Democrats, 4% for independents and 1% for Republicans.

Democrats (22%) are far more likely than both Republicans (1%) and independents (12%) to say they are seriously considering purchasing an EV. The majority of Democrats, 54%, say they may consider it in the future.

A substantial majority of Republicans, 71%, say they would not consider owning an electric vehicle.

While about four in 10 U.S. adults think using EVs helps address climate change “a great deal” (12%) or “a fair amount” (27%), roughly six in 10 believe it helps “only a little” (35%) or “not at all” (26%).

Americans who worry a great deal about global warming or climate change are most open to owning an electric vehicle now or in the future, with 79% saying they currently own one (5%), are seriously considering it (16%) or would at some point (58%). Conversely, 77% of those who are not at all concerned about climate change say they would never own an EV.

With four in 10 U.S. adults unwilling to even consider switching from a gas to an electric vehicle, the plans of Biden, California and auto manufacturers could be challenging to achieve.

Americans' Ownership of Electric Vehicles by Demographic Group

EVs are Coming

Many of those who say they will never do so are wrong. And the younger the age group in saying that the more likely they will be wrong.

As a practical matter, politicians are forcing the issue whether or not it makes any sense.

Eventually, the battery technology will get better, costs will drop, and chargers will be in more places.

But even so, don't expect the shift to do much if anything for the environment.
Damn the Inflation, Full Speed Ahead

Biden's and California's energy policy can easily be summed up in meme phrases.

Damn the Inflation, Full Speed Ahead

What, Me Worry?

The world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change.

Meanwhile, someone please tell me how we are going to reduce dependence on China, avoid protectionism, and appease the Greens with their preposterous demands to eliminate electric vehicles by 2035.

So, when common sense gets applied your grand purchase will be for naught. Better yet, you'll trade it in and get a different model. Maybe Elon can make one just for you with a **** in the seat.
626. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 8:51AM EST
I might buy an EV. A golf cart. I wonder if I can get federal funds for that.
627. Author: BuckyB93Date: Thu, 4/20/2023, 10:11AM EST
Maybe. My e-bike qualified for a tax credit or rebate or whatever. $500-600 bike and I think it was something around $100 that I claimed as on my 2021 fed tax return (some % of the purchase price).

I actually bought 2 of them - one for me and one for my son so I was able to double up on the tax thingy. My son got his driver's license since then and decided he didn't need the bike anymore so he traded to a neighbor kid it for a PS4.

I wonder if the IRS will come after me. Claiming a tax credit on an EV that was then swapped out for a PS4... prolly get tossed into jail for money laundering or sumptin'
628. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 11:33AM EST
I’ll check on how much the reward amount is for turning you in…..
629. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 12:16PM EST
I heard you can't park them parking garages cause they'll collapse... Mellow
630. Author: RayRDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 12:28PM EST
I'm tired of all this talk of how evil fossil fuels are and how EVs help address climate change when the real enemy of the planet is RICE!

Rice Is Now Killing The Planet, Apparently

Now it is firmly ensconced among the climate change cult that eating meat is killing the planet and you must ‘eat ze bugs’, the same people have a new target, rice.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/rice-now-killing-planet-apparently

631. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 2:11PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
More Kameltoes word salad smith that doesn't mean a damned thing to me. You're as rabid about EV's as you were with getting jabbed and masked up with Covid. You really are a DNC wet dream. They say jump and you flail up and down as high as you can and tell everyone else to as well. Not everyone buys what they're selling. Speaking of which your fart car has been marked down again...twice in a week. I'm sure you're going to chirp about how you got a steal, but from when you bought it to what you can now...you've overpaid. Enjoy the Emperor's New Fart Car, it was tailored made for you and Biden. Oh, he's not going to be giving up his vintage Corvette. LMMFAO!!!!!

So, when common sense gets applied your grand purchase will be for naught. Better yet, you'll trade it in and get a different model. Maybe Elon can make one just for you with a **** in the seat.

So, what are you paying for gas to run your "vintage" 20th century truck?
Cause you should leave it running all the time to protest the "climate hoax".

LOL
632. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 2:12PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I heard you can't park them parking garages cause they'll collapse... Mellow

The garages or the golf carts?
633. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 3:43PM EST
www.foxnews.com/auto/electric-vehicles-heavy-parking-garages-report.amp

It's all over the news and stuff... Mellow
634. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 5:23PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
www.foxnews.com/auto/electric-vehicles-heavy-parking-garages-report.amp

It's all over the news and stuff... Mellow

No….Really only on FoxNews. You understand that for Fox, “news” is a euphemism.

Apparently these are the only garages that can’t hold a real American pick up truck.
Commies….
635. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 5:43PM EST
It was on the internets... Mellow
636. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 8:01PM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Maybe. My e-bike qualified for a tax credit or rebate or whatever.

Why exactly? Not knocking you for getting money out of the gubmint however they allow you to. But if the purpose is to push people towards greener options, I guarandamntee the e-bike comes with a larger carbon footprint and higher cost of ownership lifetime over the traditional models.
637. Author: tonygrazDate: Thu, 4/20/2023, 8:24PM EST
Maybe, but you smell better with the electric one.
638. Author: BuckyB93Date: Thu, 4/20/2023, 9:38PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
Why exactly? Not knocking you for getting money out of the gubmint however they allow you to. But if the purpose is to push people towards greener options, I guarandamntee the e-bike comes with a larger carbon footprint and higher cost of ownership lifetime over the traditional models.

That would be logical wouldn't it? You're missing one key point that supersedes logic... this is the gubmint we're talking about you silly goose.
639. Author: BuckyB93Date: Thu, 4/20/2023, 9:46PM EST
Six tree NINE!
640. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 10:06AM EST
A real fire sale...if you can get one!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2023/04/21/ford-f-150-lightning-battery-fire/11711662002/
641. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 10:19AM EST
There’s a lot of government momentum behind electric vehicles. Within 25 years you will all be driving an EV and if you can’t afford it you’ll be riding a bus or other mass transit.

You need your own own solar farm and battery storage as well so go ahead and budget for that. Otherwise the government will be rationing your electricity using technology that we already have today!
642. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 10:27AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:

Otherwise the government will be rationing your electricity using technology that we already have today!

Who in the hell thought that up..?? Huh
643. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 10:40AM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Who in the hell thought that up..?? Huh

People like me! We already do it today. We just don’t really publicize it.
644. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 10:56AM EST
Laugh
645. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 11:11AM EST
The Matrix ain’t gonna build itself!
646. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 2:37PM EST
Does that mean we all get cool sun glasses?
647. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 3:51PM EST
Only us cool Dudes... Cool
648. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 5:31PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Does that mean we all get cool sun glasses?

No. You’re gonna get a bunch of wires and hoses shoved in you and you will be happy.
649. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 4/21/2023, 5:49PM EST
I could sure use a morphine drip about now... Mellow
650. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 9:24AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
saw this from Bloomber News in my Boston Globe this morning...

"Exxon Mobil Corp. and Toyota Motor Corp. formed a partnership to test out low-carbon fuels in gasoline engines, potentially offering a way for drivers to reduce emissions without upgrading to an electric vehicle.

The fuel blends are made from cleaner feedstocks and could one day cut greenhouse gas emissions from internal combustion engines by as much as 75% compared with regular gasoline, said Andrew Madden, Exxon’s vice president for strategy and planning, citing initial trial results. The fuels proved compatible with Toyota vehicles, raising the prospect of a drop-in solution that could compete with battery-powered cars in future."

looks like in a couple years I'll buy an electric vehicle and after a few years there might even be zero carbon "gas".

A few things about this:

Offering long-shot solutions to problems is part of what both Exxon and Toyota have done in the past. Exxon once tried to convince the world that plant algae could replace diesel, and Toyota continues to develop hydrogen-fueled vehicles without much to show for it.

That said, IF they could reach efficiency and emissions parity with electric cars (physics says no) there is still the issue of ICE cars being much more complex to make, having more points of failure, and rather soon being much more expensive to make.

In time people are going to realize that all things being equal, you still don't want a car with the hundreds of moving parts that ICE cars need to work.
FirstPrev1112131415NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic