Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev1213141516NextLast
Electric vehicles - what does the future hold?
651. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 10:15AM EST
Brewha wrote:
A few things about this:

Offering long-shot solutions to problems is part of what both Exxon and Toyota have done in the past. Exxon once tried to convince the world that plant algae could replace diesel, and Toyota continues to develop hydrogen-fueled vehicles without much to show for it.

That said, IF they could reach efficiency and emissions parity with electric cars (physics says no) there is still the issue of ICE cars being much more complex to make, having more points of failure, and rather soon being much more expensive to make.

In time people are going to realize that all things being equal, you still don't want a car with the hundreds of moving parts that ICE cars need to work.

Think

Some caveman invented the wheel and lots of commies in China ride bikes still.

Just because you're all hyped on Trendy and feel some compulsion to explain your poor purchases doesn't mean everyone else is going to follow the lemming.

Not gonna kill petroleum despite huffing the glue.

Exxon’s quarterly profit has exceeded $10 billion for four consecutive quarters, a streak not seen since the era of $145-a-barrel crude in 2008.

Some other details from the first quarter:

Upstream adjusted net income $6.62 billion, estimate $6.51 billion
Energy products adjusted net income $4.21 billion, estimate $3.89 billion
Chemical products adjusted net income $371 million, estimate $398.3 million
Specialty products adjusted net income $774 million, estimate $522.5 million

Chemical prime product sales 4,649 kt, estimate 5,643
Downstream petroleum product sales 5,277 kbd
Production 3,831 KOEBD, +4.2% y/y, estimate 3,788
Crude oil, NGL, bitumen and synthetic oil production 2,495 KBD, +10% y/y, estimate 2,418
Refinery throughput 3,998 KBD, +0.4% y/y, estimate 3,970

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/exxon-smashes-expectations-reports-strongest-ever-q1-results
652. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 11:46AM EST
Texas electric vehicle drivers could soon be required to pay an annual $200 fee to register their cars. 
"As more of these vehicles drive on Texas roads, there are concerns about how they contribute to the funding of the roads which they use," Nichols wrote in a statement of intent when filing the bill. "Currently, Texas uses the gasoline/diesel fuel tax to fund transportation projects; however, with the growing use of EVs, the revenue from the fuel tax is decreasing, which diminishes our ability to fund road improvements for all drivers." 

Think
653. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 12:15PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Think

Some caveman invented the wheel and lots of commies in China ride bikes still.

Just because you're all hyped on Trendy and feel some compulsion to explain your poor purchases doesn't mean everyone else is going to follow the lemming.

Not gonna kill petroleum despite huffing the glue.

Petroleum is used to make - almost everything. Why would you think electric cars would "kill petroleum"?

I can tell by your post that you suffer from Madagascar Syndrome...
654. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 12:17PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Texas electric vehicle drivers could soon be required to pay an annual $200 fee to register their cars. 
"As more of these vehicles drive on Texas roads, there are concerns about how they contribute to the funding of the roads which they use," Nichols wrote in a statement of intent when filing the bill. "Currently, Texas uses the gasoline/diesel fuel tax to fund transportation projects; however, with the growing use of EVs, the revenue from the fuel tax is decreasing, which diminishes our ability to fund road improvements for all drivers." 

Think

So, this would be a tax that everyone is already paying - at the pump.

Hmmmm- look like I've been skating for free for awhile now...
655. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 12:22PM EST
Pappa said "Son don't let da man get ya...' Mellow
656. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 12:36PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Petroleum is used to make - almost everything. Why would you think electric cars would "kill petroleum"?

I can tell by your post that you suffer from Madagascar Syndrome...

You can't even tell the time.

You're a hot mess with ZERO common sense.

Have fun trying to impress children with your fart cart. Children, there's your target audience. Stick with that.
657. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 2:04PM EST
Brewha wrote:
So, this would be a tax that everyone is already paying - at the pump.

Hmmmm- look like I've been skating for free for awhile now...

Leach on society.

The west coast is experimenting with a mileage tax with a transponder on your car.
658. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:17PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Leach on society.

The west coast is experimenting with a mileage tax with a transponder on your car.

The “best and smartest Americans” pay no tax - or so I read on the politic threads.

I guess I should be a luminary for you…
659. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:20PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
You can't even tell the time.

You're a hot mess with ZERO common sense.

Have fun trying to impress children with your fart cart. Children, there's your target audience. Stick with that.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say “we love you when you’re Madd”.

Herfing
660. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:33PM EST
Brewha wrote:
I think I speak for everyone here when I say “we love you when you’re Madd”.

Herfing

That's EVERY DAMNED DAY sporto! Thanks, but Dylan "Miss Bud Light" Mulvaney is gonna lock you out for cheating on "her"!
661. Author: RayRDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 5:47PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Leach on society.

Would that be one of those PATRIOTIC TAXES?
662. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/1/2023, 2:10PM EST
Speaking of taxes - I had to go get the Tesla inspected today.

Texas charged me $25.50 last year for the Infinity, but his year the Tesla was only $7.
Guy said that electrics don't get emission tests - safety only. Enjoy the savings.

Herfing
663. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 5/2/2023, 6:45AM EST
Speaking of taxes!

Rivian Continues To Hemorrhage Money Despite $1.5 Billion in State Incentives

According to a new Bloomberg report, Rivian has lost 93 percent of its market value since November 2021. The state of Georgia is still on the hook for as much as $1.5 billion in state incentives.

The market for electric vehicles in the U.S. continues to grow: In January 2023, 7.1 percent of all new light-duty vehicles registered were electric, a 74 percent year-over-year increase. During that same period, Tesla's market share dropped from 72 percent to 58 percent, a sign of serious competition in the space.

Unfortunately, not every company is reaping the benefits: According to a report from Bloomberg, market analysts are increasingly skeptical about the future prospects of Rivian, maker of luxury all-electric trucks and SUVs. In the years since its founding, the company has received multi-billion-dollar investments from established firms like Ford and Amazon, and the state of Georgia is giving as much as $1.5 billion in state incentives for Rivian to build a factory there.

Last month, Reason reported that after a successful November 2021 initial public offering (IPO) that saw its balance sheet swell to $18.1 billion in cash and a market cap of more than $150 billion, "Rivian's stock lost 80 percent of its value, making it 2022's worst-performing stock on the NASDAQ 100." Additionally, by December 2022, "Rivian's cash on hand had fallen 36 percent, to $11.6 billion."

According to Bloomberg, the company's market cap "now stands at less than $12 billion after a 93% stock wipeout, reflecting almost no value beyond the company's cash hoard," which it cited as "cash and equivalents of $11.6 billion and debt of $1.6 billion." First-quarter revenue projections "have fallen more than 25% since the end of December." And despite struggling to fill its own orders amid rising interest rates, the company may have to come up with even more cash, and quickly.

Ivana Delevska, chief investment officer at SPEAR Invest, told Bloomberg that Rivian "still needs to invest several billion dollars to prove out its business model." Similarly, Alexander Potter of investment bank Piper Sandler said that while the company "shouldn't abandon its strategy," it would likely need to raise at least $4 billion by 2025 to fund its projected growth.

There's a problem with that: Rivian is required to invest at least $5 billion in its Georgia factory by the end of 2028 in order to qualify for the full $1.5 billion in state incentives. Even under the company's own best estimates, that's a gamble. CEO R.J. Scaringe told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the company's future was inextricably tied to the Georgia factory, saying "There's not another option…. This must work." Further, the company doesn't expect to be able to manufacture any vehicles from the Georgia plant until at least 2026.

Rivian's own CFO doesn't expect the company to be profitable until sometime in 2024, and even then, it's not clear that those profits will be enough to make up for the losses the company has already accrued. Meanwhile, the state of Georgia will still have committed hundreds of millions of dollars, or more, in taxpayer-funded incentives.

Americans tend to keep their cars for around 12 years on average. Since the majority of motorists will be in the market within a given decade, electric vehicles are a relatively easy way to introduce clean, climate-friendly technology into widespread usage. And with growing demand in the market, numerous automakers are stepping up to fill that need. But it's important to let the market lead the way forward, not government planners. Unfortunately, Rivian—and Georgia's risky bet on a growth-stage company—may serve as a cautionary tale on central planning.

https://reason.com/2023/05/01/rivian-continues-to-hemorrhage-money-despite-1-5-billion-in-state-incentives/

The Three Card Trendy game is playing out in front of your faces. You have to wonder how that $7500.00 rebate upfront squares when you have to replace the batteries and if they'll be available when you need to...and now if the company will even be viable down the "road".

https://www.commonlit.org/en/texts/the-emperor-s-new-clothes

Read up. It turns out magnificently
664. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 5/3/2023, 6:02PM EST
Mining coal is bad. Drilling for oil is bad.

Mining for copper, cobalt and lithium and stuff... totally cool.
665. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 5/3/2023, 6:20PM EST
MACS wrote:
Mining coal is bad. Drilling for oil is bad.

Mining for copper, cobalt and lithium and stuff... totally cool.

You ever see a ten year old working a drilling rig? Not gonna happen. Now mining cobalt in Africa….job creation!
666. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 5/4/2023, 6:05AM EST
I heard there's 1.9 jobs available for every American right now... why are we sending kids to Africa..?? Huh
667. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 5/4/2023, 7:06AM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I heard there's 1.9 jobs available for every American right now... why are we sending kids to Africa..?? Huh

Cuz we want them out of McDonalds!!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/10-year-olds-hundreds-children-found-working-mcdonalds-rcna82583

I bet they weren't "McLovin' It"!
668. Author: drglncDate: Thu, 5/4/2023, 8:34AM EST
Hyundai And Disney team up to insure every last GOP members head explodes... Hyundai teams up with Walt Disney Imagineering for a Disney-inspired IONIQ 5 EV concept

https://electrek.co/2023/04/05/hyundai-and-walt-disney-imagineering-unveil-ioniq-5-ev-concept/

The collaboration is in celebration of Disney’s 100th anniversary, with Hyundai unveiling the IONIQ 5 Disney100 Platinum concept at the New York Auto Show on Wednesday.

The limited-edition all-electric SUV features unique Disney-inspired visual accents and entertainment, such as lightning and the iconic Disney music you hear in the background at the parks.
This is the first time that Disney has opened the doors to their design studio and granted access to Disney’s iconic characters for an artistic collaboration with an automaker. The IONIQ 5 is Hyundai’s flagship all-electric vehicle, and we are excited to share a limited edition version that will deliver an unforgettable experience for any Disney fan.

The Hyundai IONIQ 5 Disney100 Platinum concept will include several exclusive features, including:

Gravity gold matte exterior color
Disney-inspired wheel styles
Disney100 exterior badging
Disney100 logo embossed on the front seat headrests and center console
Disney100 logo on the floormats
“Hidden Mickey” custom wheels
Lamp screens with Disney spark animations across the headlights and taillights
Moon roof etching details (with a touch of pixie dust, of course)
Disney-themed intro on the interior screen when entering the vehicle with Disney music, logo, and more pixie dust.
For over 100 years, Disney has been inspiring audiences with timeless storytelling and innovative experiences, Rita Ferro, president of advertising sales at Disney, explains. Ferro added that the new collaboration with Hyundai:

Provided us with a unique way to celebrate our Disney100 anniversary and bring brands closer to the magic we create every day for consumers.

Hyundai says the actual production model may vary and will be available for sale in late 2023 with “extremely limited availability.”

Although the specs could change for the Disney-inspired model, Hyundai’s IONIQ 5 offers an EPA range of up to 303 miles.
669. Author: MACSDate: Thu, 5/4/2023, 12:34PM EST
Meh... it's a Hyundai. That woke crap ain't going real well for Disney at the moment. Nor AB/Inbev.

Whatever. Useful idiots being exploited.

Joe Biden - #1 useful idiot. He's too stupid to be destroying the country on his own. He's someone's puppet.
670. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 5/4/2023, 1:18PM EST
The tard's will be lining up for that one for sure. whip

"Why yes, I'll take the Hyundai Groomer GT Special Edition. With the White Claw can holders"

You guess the hair color.

Frying pan Frying pan Frying pan
671. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 1:21PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
You ever see a ten year old working a drilling rig? Not gonna happen. Now mining cobalt in Africa….job creation!

That's Le HockyDad 1
Mad MACS 0
672. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 1:27PM EST
I do have to smile a tooth grin at the Right Wing knuckle draggers how simply cannot understand that the Automotive field is being revolutionized - and greatly for the better.

And for icing on the cake:
"I don't understand mining - must be wrong"
"I don't understand electricity - must be bad"
"Liberals, scientist and scholar say electric cars are good - Ah HA! PROOF they are bad!!!"

What a bunch a maroons.... LOL
673. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Mon, 5/15/2023, 9:53AM EST
Brewha wrote:
I do have to smile a tooth grin at the Right Wing knuckle draggers how simply cannot understand that the Automotive field is being revolutionized - and greatly for the better.

And for icing on the cake:
"I don't understand mining - must be wrong"
"I don't understand electricity - must be bad"
"Liberals, scientist and scholar say electric cars are good - Ah HA! PROOF they are bad!!!"

What a bunch a maroons.... LOL

Tesla owners sue, claiming software update killed EV battery life

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) officially start car recalls after receiving complaints from consumers.

A group of Tesla Model S and Model X owners are suing the electric vehicle maker, claiming in a lawsuit filed in California Friday that automatic software updates from Elon Musk's company have killed their electric cars' battery life.

The proposed class-action lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco. Plaintiffs claim Tesla's updates and their effects violate federal and state laws because they can cut driving range by up to 20% and have forced some owners to replace their batteries at a cost of $15,000.

The lawsuit argues impacted Tesla vehicles are "protected computers" under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and that automatic updates violate their rights under the law.

"Tesla owners and lessors are uniquely at the mercy of the maker of their cars, and Tesla imposes software updates without consent whenever their vehicle is connected to Wi-Fi," said Steve Berman, an attorney with Hagens Berman representing Tesla owners and lessors in the lawsuit.

Attorneys representing the owners say Tesla sends automatic updates whenever their vehicles are connected to Wi-Fi.

Some Tesla owners have reportedly paid third parties as much as $750 to reverse battery-related software updates, the lawsuit claims.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

According to Telsa's website, the company's vehicles receive regular over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing onces over Wi-Fi.

Tesla owners can change their software update preferences in an options menu on their vehicle's touchscreen, selecting between "ADVANCED" or "STANDARD." The "ADVANCED" option will enable automatic software updates whenever they become available. Updates cannot be canceled once they have started.

The lawsuit accuses Tesla's updates and their impact of violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the California Unfair Competition Law and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act. Attorneys claim Tesla refuses to reimburse Model S and Model X owners and lessors whose vehicles have reduced battery life after a software update.

In July 2021, Tesla agreed to pay $1.9 million to settle claims a software update temporarily reduced maximum battery voltage in 1,743 Model S sedans, including about $400,000 in attorneys' fees and expenses. Owners of affected vehicles received $625 each, which was "many times the prorated value of the temporarily reduced maximum voltage," according to court documents.

Tesla released its 2022 Impact Report in April, claiming that its batteries only lose about 12% capacity after 200,000 miles. The report used data collected on Model S and Model X battery retention over distance traveled.

The company noted that mileage and battery age are major factors in battery capacity retention and said it plans to expand disclosure on battery life "once we have sufficient data."

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/tesla-owners-sue-claiming-software-update-killed-ev-battery-life

Wait what????Frying pan Frying pan Frying pan
674. Author: ZRX1200Date: Mon, 5/15/2023, 11:47AM EST
Another great thing is many of the “options” and how they’re sold and can be held hostage and are withheld after sale. The software patches you buy are kinda nutty IMO on how they are owned.
675. Author: RayRDate: Mon, 5/15/2023, 12:12PM EST
Sound like they are still in BETA testing. Think
676. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/15/2023, 5:48PM EST
You collective heads of knuckle are so far on the wrong side of this that it just makes me smile.
And I thank you for that.

Next month makes a year with the Tesla, and it been great. No issues, dirt cheap to own, and much much faster than you.

But hey, thanks again!
677. Author: ZRX1200Date: Mon, 5/15/2023, 6:17PM EST
Your apology is accepted.

Remember silent speed can be deadly, maybe more than just the turn signals should be used I think.

Captain SBD
678. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/15/2023, 7:08PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Your apology is accepted.

Remember silent speed can be deadly, maybe more than just the turn signals should be used I think.

Captain SBD

You know that federal law mandated an external speaker on silent EVs that makes warning sound when the vehicle is moving below 20 miles per hour.

And in the case of a Tesla, can also make fart noises.

Hey, again thanks for the laughs.
679. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 5/18/2023, 6:09AM EST
Brewha wrote:
You know that federal law mandated an external speaker on silent EVs that makes warning sound when the vehicle is moving below 20 miles per hour.

And in the case of a Tesla, can also make fart noises.

Hey, again thanks for the laughs.

Oh, you wanted "laughs"...sure.

BigGrin

The UAW Demands A "Just Transition" To Electric Vehicles

The big US automakers cannot turn a profit on EVs anytime soon. So guess what...

Massive subsidies and other goodies in the Inflation Reduction Act are not enough to satisfy the United Auto Workers union.

The UAW now seeks a "Just Transition" to EVs. Their new concern is a "race to the bottom" started by Elon Musk.

Question of the Day

How can car manufacturers make money as Tesla cuts prices and the White House and unions demand higher output and wages?

Please consider Elon Musk Squeezes His Electric-Vehicle Competitors

The Inflation Reduction Act includes truckloads of subsidies for electric vehicles, including tax credits for battery makers and consumers. But despite these handouts, traditional automakers still don’t expect to turn a profit on the cars for several years. Ford recently forecast its electric-vehicle division would lose $3 billion this year and committed to getting in the black in 2026.

In the first three months of this year, Ford’s electric vehicles posted a negative 102% operating margin—that is, its losses on electric-vehicles exceeded its sales. Yikes. Ford blamed a battery problem in its much-hyped F-150 Lightning pickup for interrupting production. Even if it weren’t for that, Ford still would have posted a huge loss.

Automakers and the UAW are preparing to begin collective-bargaining over a new national labor agreement this summer. UAW leaders have made clear their goal is to increase wages and benefits at new electric-vehicle battery plants, where workers currently earn about half as much as their counterparts at other factories.

Stellantis recently announced it would offer buyouts to 31,000 hourly employees. Ford last year announced it was laying off 3,000 white-collar and contract employees to finance its electric-vehicle expansion. Automakers will almost certainly have to issue more pink slips, if only because manufacturing electric vehicles requires significantly less labor than gasoline-powered cars.

“The federal government is pouring billions into the electric vehicle transition, with no strings attached and no commitment to workers,” UAW President Shawn Fain wrote to his members on May 2. “The EV transition is at serious risk of becoming a race to the bottom.”

Mr. Fain is threatening to withhold the union’s endorsement of Mr. Biden unless his administration backs a “just transition” to electric vehicles. Translation: The union wants the White House to wield subsidies and regulation as a cudgel to drive its labor agenda. But all this will do is render automakers less competitive in a race in which they’re starting laps behind Tesla.

The risk isn’t merely that U.S. automakers can’t catch up; it’s that they could crash right out of the gate.

Understanding Tesla's Lead and the UAW's Predicament

Tesla is in front partially because it was first. But it's also in a great position now because of cheap money by the Fed, subsidies on which only it gained, and energy tax credits.

The cheap money, subsidies, and tax credits should not have happened.

Thank the Fed for the cheap money. Thank Biden for the subsidies, regulations, energy credits and the Inflation Reduction Act.

In the push to reduce carbon emissions, Biden handed out tax credits that Tesla could sell at a huge profit to other automakers who could not meet the regulatory requirements that Biden imposed.
Three Things to Expect

The UAW will seek handouts that it gets, not Tesla.

Look for Biden to accuse Tesla of dumping cars because it now makes a profit and the big automakers can't.

Look for Biden to force unionization on Tesla.

This is all in the name of a "Just Transition".

What a hoot.

Everything Biden does adds inflation pressures.

Please note The Inflation Reduction Act Price Jumps From $385 Billion to Over $1 Trillion

Expect more of the same when Biden tries to impose a "just transition".

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/uaw-demands-just-transition-electric-vehicles

Now, who didn't really see this coming?

BAWHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! Trendy McFart Wagon!
680. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 5/18/2023, 9:14AM EST
Legacy automakers don't deserve much of a break if you ask me.
They have willfully lobbied for lower emission standards, skirted emission laws, and stymied progress for years.
Add to this the date rape of the car dealerships - which are protected by laws.

If they can't compete then they go the way of the dinosaurs. TRUE American capitalisms.
681. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 5/18/2023, 9:18AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Oh, you wanted "laughs"...sure.

BAWHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! Trendy McFart Wagon!

Doc, I always Laugh at your posts - Give yourself more credit.
682. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 5/18/2023, 9:34AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Doc, I always Laugh at your posts - Give yourself more credit.

I bet you do...I bet you do.
683. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 5/25/2023, 6:47AM EST
Laugh Laugh Laugh

Biden Spent $1 Billion To Get Schools Electric Buses. This Michigan District Says Theirs Hardly Work.

Michigan's fourth-largest school district is having "significant" performance issues with its expensive electric buses, issues that come after the Biden administration spent $1 billion to "transform America's school bus fleet" with electric models.

During an April 19 presentation to the Ann Arbor Public Schools Board of Education, the district's environmental sustainability director, Emile Lauzzana, highlighted a number of issues with the district's electric bus fleet. Those buses, Lauzzana said, have "a lot of downtime and performance issues" and aren't "fully on the road," despite the fact that they are "approximately five times more expensive than regular buses." The infrastructure upgrades required to use the buses, meanwhile, were "originally estimated to be only about $50,000" but "ended up being more like $200,000," according to Lauzzana. "I have a number of colleagues in different states who are facing similar challenges," the district official lamented. "For the school bus market, it's been challenging for us."

Just months before Lauzzana's admission, President Joe Biden's Environmental Protection Agency announced it awarded nearly $1 billion in taxpayer funds to "transform America's school bus fleet" with "over 2,400 clean school buses that will accelerate the transition to zero emission vehicles." But problems with electric buses occurred long before the agency's announcement.

Electric bus company Proterra, which the Biden administration has lauded as "pretty amazing," saw Philadelphia remove 25 of its buses from the roads in 2020 due to structural problems. Those buses cost the city $24 million. Another Southern California city waited months in 2021 to repair nearly a dozen buses from its electric fleet, more than a third of which were out of service at the time. Ann Arbor Public Schools' electric buses also use Proterra batteries and drivetrain technology.

Still, those issues did not stop Biden from setting aside $9 billion for electric school buses and local transit vehicles in the Democrat's November 2021 infrastructure bill. Biden is also not the only prominent Democrat who is spending big on "clean" buses. Michigan Democratic governor Gretchen Whitmer plans to create a $150 million electric school bus program through her 2024 state budget. Even Ann Arbor Public Schools is refusing to step away from electric buses—Lauzzana during his April presentation said the district is committed to purchasing "additional electric buses," despite its ongoing challenges. For conservative group Michigan Freedom Fund, that commitment is misguided.

"Michigan Democrats have put the (electric) cart before the horse. The technology and infrastructure for electric buses do not exist at this moment … yet Democrats and school districts insist on purchasing electric buses," the group's communications director, Mary Drabik, told the Washington Free Beacon. "This backward approach to policy only creates more costly problems for residents. As long as Democrats continue to spend the tax dollars of hard-working Michiganders, it will be the residents that truly suffer, not the environment."

Ann Arbor Public Schools, the Biden administration, and Whitmer did not return requests for comment. While the school district did not purchase its electric buses with federal money from the Biden administration—its buses are the product of a state grant funded by Michigan's portion of a Volkswagen environmental settlement—Lauzzana's presentation shows that the district hopes to take advantage of additional "incentive programs" in the future.

The Biden administration has faced intense criticism from congressional Republicans over its ties to electric bus maker Proterra. Administration officials repeatedly showcased the company while Biden's energy secretary, Jennifer Granholm, held up to $5 million in Proterra stock. Granholm eventually sold her 240,000 Proterra shares in May 2021, with the former Michigan governor earning a cool $1.6 million. Just months after Granholm's stock sale, Proterra officials discussed their plans to capitalize on government electric bus spending. "The tailwinds of the North American electric transit bus market have never been stronger," the company said in an August 2021 report. "With zero emission transit bus funding increasing by over 300 percent over 2021 funding levels, we expect the [infrastructure bill], if passed by Congress and signed into law, to help drive significant acceleration in the electrification of more than 65,000 buses in the North American transit bus fleet."

https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/biden-spent-1-billion-to-get-schools-electric-buses-this-michigan-district-says-theirs-hardly-work/

With all this electric car hubbub...we've talked about the minerals...what about the copper needed? How much of that is on the planet again??
684. Author: RayRDate: Thu, 5/25/2023, 10:39AM EST
The local public transportation fascist monopoly here has 10 electric buses that were paid for by the State of New York.
They have been in a testing phase for cold weather since January, but they were removed from service early last month because of a recall by the manufacturer New Flyer of America Inc.
Problems with the Energy Storage System they say, leaks that could result in a fire. Perfectly safe though. Anxious
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RIONL-23V083-4775.pdf
685. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/26/2023, 10:36AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Laugh Laugh Laugh

Biden Spent $1 Billion To Get Schools Electric Buses. This Michigan District Says Theirs Hardly Work.

[i][b]

With all this electric car hubbub...we've talked about the minerals...what about the copper needed? How much of that is on the planet again??

Copper? You are kidding right?
According to USGS data there are "shit tons of it". d'oh!

On the big vehicle front, Frito Lay has started their move to electric semi trucks (Tesla) for deliver with great success - and substantial cost savings. Amazon EV delivery trucks (Rivian) are cruising my neighborhood, and they are rolling out more (cheaper and better).

And Hertz now has 50,000 EVs in their fleet (because they are smart).

I don't doubt that with all the start ups and new tech there are some lemons out there. BMWs i3 was kind of a joke - but they got better. And the Fiat 500-e is, well - not great.

But you go right ahead and hold back the ocean with a broom.
686. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/26/2023, 12:07PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Copper? You are kidding right?
According to USGS data there are "shit tons of it". d'oh!

On the big vehicle front, Frito Lay has started their move to electric semi trucks (Tesla) for deliver with great success - and substantial cost savings. Amazon EV delivery trucks (Rivian) are cruising my neighborhood, and they are rolling out more (cheaper and better).

And Hertz now has 50,000 EVs in their fleet (because they are smart).

I don't doubt that with all the start ups and new tech there are some lemons out there. BMWs i3 was kind of a joke - but they got better. And the Fiat 500-e is, well - not great.

But you go right ahead and hold back the ocean with a broom.

Once again you show what a dimwit you really are.

You should've asked why I wanted to know about copper.

Then you went balls deep to defend your trendy purchase with what you see with your own eyes.

Did you have anything to offer about the post I put up? No. Why? Because you offer nothing of fact. That's you though. You bought into Biden with Covid. You bought into him with his Green New Deal. You're a sucker. Can't blame the GOP with their budget that they passed when you have grits for brains sitting behind the Resolute Desk and 81 million drooling morons that put him there. 9 billion set aside for vehicles that don't/can't operate. Let's claw that money back and get the debt down.

I soooooo look forward to your next fact avoidance post where you believe I'm wrong. Everything you want to believe is all here to show it's on you.
687. Author: RayRDate: Fri, 5/26/2023, 9:06PM EST
I hope Frito Lay at least reduces their prices with all that "substantial cost savings" Their chips are way too expensive.

Were there any cash grants given to those corporations so they could invest in EV's?
I heard the Biden regime gave $2.8 billion in grants for 20 companies to produce batteries for electric vehicles in the United States.
Ain't economic fascism great?

688. Author: BrewhaDate: Sat, 5/27/2023, 11:54AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Once again you show what a dimwit you really are.

You should've asked why I wanted to know about copper.

Then you went balls deep to defend your trendy purchase with what you see with your own eyes.

Did you have anything to offer about the post I put up? No. Why? Because you offer nothing of fact. That's you though. You bought into Biden with Covid. You bought into him with his Green New Deal. You're a sucker. Can't blame the GOP with their budget that they passed when you have grits for brains sitting behind the Resolute Desk and 81 million drooling morons that put him there. 9 billion set aside for vehicles that don't/can't operate. Let's claw that money back and get the debt down.

I soooooo look forward to your next fact avoidance post where you believe I'm wrong. Everything you want to believe is all here to show it's on you.

You’re always so petulant, D.

Ok, I’ll bite - what do you want to know about copper? Did Joe Rogen say we were running out or something?

And regarding your post from “The Washington Free Beacon” (LOL), I did say I was not surprised that some startups were having trouble. I thought you would agree with that out of hand as you seem convinced that EVs can’t be made to work (d'oh! ).

I did not say I believed you were wrong - But I have shown that you were, time and time again….
689. Author: BrewhaDate: Sat, 5/27/2023, 12:22PM EST
This just in:

Tesla Model Y is now the best selling car in the world, beating out the Toyota Camery.

Herfing
690. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 5/27/2023, 12:46PM EST
Brewha wrote:
This just in:

Tesla Model Y is now the best selling car in the world, beating out the Toyota Camery.

Herfing

It has solidified its status as the next Prius.
691. Author: RayRDate: Sat, 5/27/2023, 1:10PM EST
It must have beaten the Camery in sales because of commercial fleets like Hertz who get HUUUGE tax credits, much more than that measly $7500 that Brewha got. And they also get equally HUUUGE subsidies for installing charging stations too.

A piece by the Wall Street Journal Editorial board posted on Oct. 26, 2021 after Hertz announced they would be buying 100,000 Teslas for its car-rental fleet explained a lot.

Behind That Hertz Tesla Purchase

The rental-car company has a secret business weapon: Taxpayers.

Quote:
The more you look behind corporate and government press releases these days, the more you learn about their mutual benefit society. We wrote Tuesday about the many subsidies for Tesla’s electric cars, but it turns out there’s also a pot of subsidy gold behind the Hertz decision to buy 100,000 Teslas for its car-rental fleet.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk says he isn’t giving Hertz a discount on the reported $4.2 billion order. But he doesn’t need to because the House reconciliation spending bill includes a 30% tax credit for “qualified commercial electric vehicles.”

The text doesn’t clearly define what is a “qualified commercial electric” vehicle, but our sources say Hertz’s Teslas would likely make the cut. The credit could save Hertz $1.26 billion and make a Tesla almost as cheap for Hertz to buy as a Toyota Camry.

Hertz plans to install thousands of electric-vehicle chargers, which could also be eligible for taxpayers subsidies. The House spending bill extends a 30% tax credit for the installation of EV charging stations through 2031, which is on top of the $7.5 billion appropriation for stations in the separate Senate infrastructure bill.

Hertz’s interim CEO Mark Fields is casting the company’s Tesla order as a strategic business decision and evidence that EVs are going mainstream. Maybe, and there’s no doubt that the Tesla order is winning progressive accolades for the rental-car company. Electric vehicles are also less expensive to maintain than gas-powered cars, so they could reduce Hertz’s operating costs.

But if EVs make business sense, why must the government subsidize them? Democrats complain that corporations aren’t paying their fair share in taxes, but then they give them generous tax breaks for promoting progressive policies that reduce their tax payments.

Enjoy that Hertz Tesla ride. You’ll have paid more for it than the rental contract says.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/behind-that-hertz-tesla-purchase-elon-musk-mark-fields-rental-cars-electric-vehicles-congress-subsidy-11635283895

Yep, that fascist "mutual benefit society" of government and business sure beats old fashioned free market capitalism, doesn't it Brew?
692. Author: BrewhaDate: Sat, 5/27/2023, 6:03PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
It has solidified its status as the next Prius.

Your automotive knowledge is….predictable.
693. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/27/2023, 9:42PM EST
This just in... most of the Tesla vehicles could not be built without fossil fuels. Plastic. Rubber. The energy used to produce it.

Side note: Building these cars does more to harm the environment. Mining lithium, cobalt, copper, etc.

But fossil fuel is bad. That is all.
694. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sun, 5/28/2023, 4:26PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Your automotive knowledge is….predictable.

Yours is ALL trendy.

695. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 8:08AM EST
The information wars over EV's seems to be subsiding. With the major auto manufacturers all switching over to EV's, there is less of a media push to spread bad information about them. John Stossel will need to find another payday.

But for the foot soldiers, the battle wages on.

I believe that every one of these myths has been sold on this thread - some many times:

https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/electric-vehicle-myths

Worse, I'm seeming more amateurs improvising mis information about EVs. And it is starting to get comical.
Who in their right mind would think that EV's would stop the use of petrochemicals??
Why is mining suddenly bad - but only if the metals used for EVs?

I guess a good soldier never questions orders.....

696. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 8:09AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Yours is ALL trendy.

Don't worry Doc - no one will ever accuse you of being on-trend.
697. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 8:15AM EST
Brewha wrote:

I guess a good soldier never questions orders.....

The government mandates that you buy an electric vehicle. The government then dispels any negative information. Brewha cheers the government.

This is why I never bet against the government!
698. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 9:30AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
The government mandates that you buy an electric vehicle. The government then dispels any negative information. Brewha cheers the government.

This is why I never bet against the government!

So you will be trading in you Prius for an all electric?
699. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 9:47AM EST
Brewha wrote:
So you will be trading in you Prius for an all electric?

Ask yourself this, do you still have a gas powered car as a backup to your electric?

I see my first electric being a golf cart. Then I may go for a BMW iX xDrive50.

700. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 9:59AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Ask yourself this, do you still have a gas powered car as a backup to your electric?

I see my first electric being a golf cart. Then I may go for a BMW iX xDrive50.

The wife still has her gas SUV, that I put a battery charger on every month or two because she never drives it.

That's a nice beamer. And a good way to go if you can not afford a Tesla (just kidding).
FirstPrev1213141516NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic