Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Poll Question : Who Van Halened Better?(Poll is closed)
ChoiceVotesStatistics
David Lee Roth1473 %
Sammy Hagar526 %
Total19100%

Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth
1. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 1:48PM EST
Sammy!
2. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Fri, 4/28/2023, 2:17PM EST
David. I’m picking him to win in a fistfight. Debatable. But I’d take him
3. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:04PM EST
Gotta go with the original, DLR... but Sammy brought something of his own. I like both, but DLR wins by a nose.
4. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:16PM EST
I remember looking forward to the first release after Sammy joined VanHalen.. I was disappointed.. Mellow
5. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:23PM EST
Hagar owned Cabo Wabo - so he gets my vote.
6. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:29PM EST
The Mighty Van Halen made people want to dance and f**k. Van Hagar makes you want to drink milk and drive foreign cars.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE!

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

RIP EVH!
7. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:29PM EST
He still owns it. I was in Cabo in 2018. He still plays there on occasion.
8. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:43PM EST
Poll Question : Who Van Halened Better?

Brewha wrote:
Hagar owned Cabo Wabo - so he gets my vote.

Typical!

Frying pan Frying pan Frying pan

9. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 4/28/2023, 4:57PM EST
Roth hands down. Van Hagar made a few songs that were alright but the body of work that the original Van Halen put out eclipses Van Hagar.

Even Roth's solo albums that he put out shortly after the split are better than what Van Hagar released.

Saw him on his Eat 'em and Smile tour (circa mid 80's) at the Met Center in Bloomington, MN (suburb of Minneapolis). Opening act: Cinderella... or maybe it was Tesla. Maybe I saw Cinderella they opened up for Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet tour at the same venue around the same time. (shrug) It was early college years and some of those college years are kinda foggy.

NINE!
10. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 4/28/2023, 5:04PM EST
Robert Lamm or Pete Cetera > Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth <-----got my vote
11. Author: PapaWhiskeyDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 5:04PM EST
No question, David Lee Roth
12. Author: PalamaDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 6:40PM EST
delta1 wrote:
Robert Lamm or Pete Cetera > Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth <-----got my vote

DLR, hands down!

As to the Chicago (Transit Authority) question, it really should be Terry Kath or Robert Lamm. If it wasn't for TK's unfortunate death, Cetera woulda stayed as a once-in-awhile vocalist. Kath's rough baritone voice juxtaposed against Lamm's much clearer one is really, to me, the sound of the Chicago I loved back in the '70s. Fo' sure the direction of the group changed (..."nosedived" imho...) once Cetera took over as the main lead vocalist.

A great rockumentary about Terry:

https://youtu.be/f7egJTtz10E
13. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Fri, 4/28/2023, 6:55PM EST
DLR for Van Halen

Sammy for solo career
14. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 4/28/2023, 7:33PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
DLR for Van Halen

Sammy for solo career

+ 1 on his early stuff like Three Lock Box.

In the Room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb0-BoYCvG4

That moment of sleep
When you think you're awake
That threshold of pain
You know you can take.

As Drafter said, was interested when they joined teams and made the first album (5150)... was disappointed and not what I was hoping for.
15. Author: dkeageDate: Sat, 4/29/2023, 6:54AM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
DLR for Van Halen

Sammy for solo career

Yup
16. Author: JGRAZDate: Sun, 4/30/2023, 8:54AM EST
Wait, where's Gary Cherone?
17. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sun, 4/30/2023, 3:54PM EST
JGRAZ wrote:
Wait, where's Gary Cherone?

Back from his musical desert.

Extreme is back and the most powerful they've ever sounded. Check em out on YouTube or in the What Are Ya Listening To thread
18. Author: tailgaterDate: Tue, 5/2/2023, 8:17PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Back from his musical desert.

Extreme is back and the most powerful they've ever sounded. Check em out on YouTube or in the What Are Ya Listening To thread

As much as I like Extreme, I couldn't believe how terrible Cherone was with VH.
19. Author: tailgaterDate: Tue, 5/2/2023, 8:20PM EST
DLR helped make Van Halen.

Choosing between the two for their contributions and music already recorded, I would choose Diamond Dave by a landslide.

But if I were going to a concert tonight to see them sing? Roth's voice left the audible spectrum of "non pain inducing" about a decade ago.
Sammy still sounds pretty good, from what I've heard.

Plus, I plan on visiting Cabo Wabo someday.

20. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 5/3/2023, 6:26AM EST
tailgater wrote:
Plus, I plan on visiting Cabo Wabo someday.

Went to Cabo with the wife in 2018. Stayed at the Marina Fiesta Resort, right on the water. Walked around the town and saw Cabo Wabo so we went in... but at 2 in the afternoon it was dead.
21. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 6/4/2023, 9:10AM EST
https://www.foxbusiness.com/entertainment/van-halens-sammy-hagar-next-level-launching-cabo-wabo-beach-club

Mellow
22. Author: Speyside2Date: Sun, 6/4/2023, 9:46AM EST
David without a doubt.
23. Author: PapaWhiskeyDate: Sat, 6/17/2023, 8:39AM EST
We watched a documentary on the making of Van Halen last night. In the beginning before Dave joined Eddie and the crew they were playing cover music at backyard events and renting the amp that Dave owned. Dave eventually joined the band but wasn't content with playing cover music at back yard parties so they started making their own music and eventually launched. Obviously there's a lot more to the story but the bottom line is Van Halen would have never become famous without David Lee Roth.
24. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sat, 6/17/2023, 3:02PM EST
PapaWhiskey wrote:
We watched a documentary on the making of Van Halen last night. In the beginning before Dave joined Eddie and the crew they were playing cover music at backyard events and renting the amp that Dave owned. Dave eventually joined the band but wasn't content with playing cover music at back yard parties so they started making their own music and eventually launched. Obviously there's a lot more to the story but the bottom line is Van Halen would have never become famous without David Lee Roth.

Preach it!

This is why Van Hagar is irrelevant to me. The brothers effectively neutered a Hard Rock act into a groomed poodle hoop festival with Sammy at the helm. EVH, whom I'll claim as the Modern Day Mozart (thank GOD I was alive to see him perform!) on the electric guitar decided he wanted to focal on keyboards. Alex, quite arguably the most underappreciated drummer in Rock History mails it in, Mikey being his affable self went into 5th gear and never left it. That left Sammy to the helm and man, was THAT abysmal! He's to Rock N Roll what Dylan Mulvaney is to Beer!

If it hadn't been for DLR, there is NO DOUBT that Van Halen would be a footnote...IF in RNR History.
25. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Sat, 6/17/2023, 4:09PM EST
And David would sim in a fistfight between the two. I’m standing by that one.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic