Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev23456NextLast
Enjoy The Zen 500
151. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 5/12/2023, 7:01PM EST
MACS wrote:
Saving one dog will not change the world...
But surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.

Found that in RI last month. Proudly displayed on the patio, cuz da back yard is Tank's domain.

That’s nice.
152. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 5/12/2023, 7:05PM EST
Similar story that I've heard in the halls of recovery.... you can't help everyone but you might be able to make a difference for someone....

"Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

It's kind of a Zen way of thinking and it fits with the title of this thread.
153. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 5/12/2023, 7:16PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
That’s nice.

Think about it... what were his chances in a shelter? A) not get adopted and get euthanized B) get adopted by a dbag who'd use him for fighting, or cut his ears so he looked mean C) get adopted by a family who left his arse in the back yard D) any other number of no bueno situations.

Tank hit the puppy dog lottery. He's spoiled. Pampered. Gets plenty of exercise. Goes on vacations with us. Has 3 beds of his own and still sleeps with us. Sees the vet when he needs to. Gets baths regularly and takes a parasite preventative.

He's livin' the damn puppy dog dream.
154. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 5/12/2023, 8:09PM EST
Screw the starfish..Not talking
155. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 5/12/2023, 9:12PM EST
MACS wrote:
Think about it... what were his chances in a shelter? A) not get adopted and get euthanized B) get adopted by a dbag who'd use him for fighting, or cut his ears so he looked mean C) get adopted by a family who left his arse in the back yard D) any other number of no bueno situations.

Tank hit the puppy dog lottery. He's spoiled. Pampered. Gets plenty of exercise. Goes on vacations with us. Has 3 beds of his own and still sleeps with us. Sees the vet when he needs to. Gets baths regularly and takes a parasite preventative.

He's livin' the damn puppy dog dream.

I've always said that if there is reincarnation, I'd like to come back as a dog (or cat) in a welcoming home.

If I ever get a chance to get a dog or cat again, I'd save one from the shelter. My brother volunteers at his local shelter back in WI. Him and my sister-in-law adopted a mixed breed mutt a couple weeks ago. They already have a dog (getting old) and two cats (getting old). They were all shelter rescues. His new one is just a couple years old and looks like a black lab mixed with a pit bull. Odd body frame but jet black, short hair coat

Within a week of work, Apollo (the dog, name given to him by previous owners) knows basic commands that my brother taught it like sit, stay, heel, shake, drop it. Can even walk it off leash and sits at intersections before crossing roads and only allowed to "go" when human says that it'd OK to go.

Dogs are great additions for a family as they are pack animals, they are family members of the pack. Cats are great pets too but not so much of a pack animal attitude.

I'd get one of each if my appt complex allowed it
156. Author: izonfireDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 3:34AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Similar story that I've heard in the halls of recovery.... you can't help everyone but you might be able to make a difference for someone....

"Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

Maybe the starfish all had an epiphany, a moment of clarity,
And realized their existence was so pointless and painfully meaningless,
and so threw themselves up on the seashore to put an end to the suffering for once and for all.
Only to have some stupid kid come along and throw them back in the ocean,
Serving only to prolong their endless agony.

Or something like that…
157. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 6:52AM EST
That's another way of looking at it.

One 5 NINE!
158. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 6:54AM EST
Mornin' dudes.

Coffee in progress. I see a couple deuces in my future... mine and then Tank's. Laugh
159. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 7:17AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:

My wife uses a line from Lord of the Rings.
“There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.”
160. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 7:18AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:

When I saw all this starfish talk, I was surprised Drafter didn't come in and say "I'd hit it."
161. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 7:21AM EST
Big day ahead on short sleep.

Meeting at the club this morning, lunch with wife, visit dad, then mom, then a get together with a half dozen guys from high school.

Truth be told, I'd rather just stay home and sleep.
162. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 7:25AM EST
I see what you did there. Whistle
163. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 7:27AM EST
Cleaning gutters...weed whacking...fees store run...groceries
164. Author: Gene363Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 8:15AM EST
Good Saturday Morning to All! It's a muggy 69° on the way to 84° today.

No starfish philsosophy, I'm pretty sure nature knows better what has to die and when. Starfish
165. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 8:21AM EST
happy saturday fellas
166. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 8:33AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
When I saw all this starfish talk, I was surprised Drafter didn't come in and say "I'd hit it."

I'm not sure if starfish have boobs but if they do, I'm sure Drafter has seen them. He'd prolly pluck off one of it's boobs to grow another starfish.
167. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 8:34AM EST
Uno six NINE!
168. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 8:44AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Uno six NINE!

You're 167 Bucko... not sure why your seeing things wrong.
169. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 8:45AM EST
One sexy NINE!
170. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 8:49AM EST
That's what she said... Mellow
171. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 9:04AM EST
Just keeping youse on your toes. When we hit 500 I can claim shenanigans were afoot.
172. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 9:33AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Just keeping youse on your toes. When we hit 500 I can claim shenanigans were afoot.

And you'll be the prime suspect.
173. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 9:42AM EST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4fKb7xNlw
174. Author: Ram27Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 9:48AM EST
Mornin one & all.
175. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:00AM EST
Ram..!! Laugh
176. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:11AM EST
Odds and ends today. Maybe get in the pool for the first time of the season. Flying to Orlando tomorrow.
177. Author: Ram27Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:16AM EST
X. 😁
178. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:22AM EST
Morning,

[Rant on]
Woke up at 8am to to the sherrif banging on my front door and ringing the bell. He was trying to find out if the black Honda CRV that crashed into a tree last night was ours. We don't have a CRV, but do have a black Honda Pilot that I showed him had zero damage to it.

Turns out it was my mother's car that she had loaned to my niece while my mother is out of town. F'ing neice hit a tree and called her mom. Her mom went to the scene and picked her up and took her home in the middle of the night. She didn't call it in to the police or have the car towed away from the scene. Just burried her head in the sand until this morning. By then, two different police departments were involved in an investigation to make sure know one was hurt and to try to ascertain what happened.

So, I stepped outside and called my sisiter and asked if my niece was sober because the cops were heaeding to my sister's house after leaving here. My Sister said my niece was sober so I left it at that.

Then we went to the scene to see my mother's car. F'd up really bad. Hit a tree at the front corner and side panel on the driver side. Impact was translated through engine compartmentand to the wheel on the opposite side of the axel, with both wheels showing significant damage (not a good sign) and engine compartment equipment hanging down beneath the car. There was yellow law enforcement tape wrapped around the car so I didn't touch or open the car to inspect it or pop the hood latch to see how bad it really is. But, I know it's bad.

A day or two before she left town, I started to question my mother why she was taking the risk of her car being in an accident while my niece had it- and told her I would not do it under any circumstance. She brushed me off big time. Mom has to finaly wake up to the fact that her grandaughter is a loser and that she can't take risks like that.

My sister and niece can go F themselves for their total irresponsibility. And, I am the one who is going to have to clean this mess up for my mom. who is almost 85.Brick wall
[Rant off]
179. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:26AM EST
Ouch, sounds like a mess. Hoping everything works out. Silver lining: nobody was hurt or killed.
180. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:26AM EST
One eighty NINE!
181. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:30AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Ouch, sounds like a mess. Hoping everything works out. Silver lining: nobody was hurt or killed.

Thankfully. But, that does nothing to solve the problems my niece and sister have compounded on themselves.
182. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 10:40AM EST
rfenst wrote:
Thankfully. But, that does nothing to solve the problems my niece and sister have compounded on themselves.

What a mess. Sounds totaled and they are on the PD watch list now. I’m sure they suspect DUI.
183. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 11:01AM EST
They should dispatch a couple cows to investigate... Mellow
184. Author: Gene363Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 11:11AM EST
rfenst wrote:
Morning,

[Rant on]
Woke up at 8am to to the sherrif banging on my front door and ringing the bell. He was trying to find out if the black Honda CRV that crashed into a tree last night was ours. We don't have a CRV, but do have a black Honda Pilot that I showed him had zero damage to it.

Turns out it was my mother's car that she had loaned to my niece while my mother is out of town. F'ing neice hit a tree and called her mom. Her mom went to the scene and picked her up and took her home in the middle of the night. She didn't call it in to the police or have the car towed away from the scene. Just burried her head in the sand until this morning. By then, two different police departments were involved in an investigation to make sure know one was hurt and to try to ascertain what happened.

So, I stepped outside and called my sisiter and asked if my niece was sober because the cops were heaeding to my sister's house after leaving here. My Sister said my niece was sober so I left it at that.

Then we went to the scene to see my mother's car. F'd up really bad. Hit a tree at the front corner and side panel on the driver side. Impact was translated through engine compartmentand to the wheel on the opposite side of the axel, with both wheels showing significant damage (not a good sign) and engine compartment equipment hanging down beneath the car. There was yellow law enforcement tape wrapped around the car so I didn't touch or open the car to inspect it or pop the hood latch to see how bad it really is. But, I know it's bad.

A day or two before she left town, I started to question my mother why she was taking the risk of her car being in an accident while my niece had it- and told her I would not do it under any circumstance. She brushed me off big time. Mom has to finaly wake up to the fact that her grandaughter is a loser and that she can't take risks like that.

My sister and niece can go F themselves for their total irresponsibility. And, I am the one who is going to have to clean this mess up for my mom. who is almost 85.Brick wall
[Rant off]

You certinally have a license to rant, Mother's day weekend too.
185. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 11:39AM EST
Gene363 wrote:
You certinally have a license to rant, Mother's day weekend too.

+1

Sorry for the headaches on this weekend.
186. Author: Ram27Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 12:01PM EST
Sorry for your troubles Robert. Brick wall Thankfully no personal injuries.
187. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 12:26PM EST
rfenst wrote:

Robert, I have 2 brothers and 4 sisters. There is a reason that I only have a close relationship with one of my sisters. The rest are just more trouble than they're worth. There is a reason I left home at 17 and never went back. There is a reason I stayed out west for 30 years (aside from the jobs).

Small circle... less drama. It's sad my son grew up without really knowing his aunts, uncles and cousins aside from my one sister and her kids, but he is better off for it.
188. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 12:30PM EST
Made myself another whiskey sour. 2 oz EC barrel proof, 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice and 3/4 oz simple syrup I just made since the bottle was empty. Sooooo damn good. Think I'll have another.
189. Author: Ram27Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 12:44PM EST
Beer < Whiskey sour.
190. Author: Huzza3045Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 1:21PM EST
Good afternoon 500 folks, it’s a beautiful day in Kentucky for a cigar and a campfire 👌🏻
191. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 1:36PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
What a mess. Sounds totaled and they are on the PD watch list now. I’m sure they suspect DUI.

At least three panels need to be replaced and I have no idea what is going on under the hood.

I don't see how they can proove it, but her facebook page shows aphoto of her and her girlfirends at a bar last night.
192. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 1:39PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
They should dispatch a couple cows to investigate... Mellow

That's funny because cattle farms galore are south of me and I used to get a crash case every year or so due to a horse or cow bolting across the highway into a car's oncomming path. Defense was always that someone else had to have let the animal get loose, not the owner, because the gate was locked.
193. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 1:40PM EST
MACS wrote:
Made myself another whiskey sour. 2 oz EC barrel proof, 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice and 3/4 oz simple syrup I just made since the bottle was empty. Sooooo damn good. Think I'll have another.

Whiskey sour was a nice drink for summer time but after a couple they were too syurpy to keep drinking. Vodka tonics and gin tonics with a lime were my hard liquor of choice.
194. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 1:41PM EST
MACS wrote:

Sorry to learn that, Shawn.
195. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 3:06PM EST
rfenst wrote:
At least three panels need to be replaced and I have no idea what is going on under the hood.

I don't see how they can proove it, but her facebook page shows aphoto of her and her girlfirends at a bar last night.

98.2% chance the insurance company will mark it up as a total loss. Doesn't take much these days to have a car totaled unless its a relatively new car.

Be glad that she wasn't injured or injured someone else. Is there any property damage that someone can claim? If not, I'm guessing that the insurance company fill the claim on the car and call it a done deal. Cops probably won't want to deal with it either. I'm not a lawyer but she might get cited for leaving the scene of an accident but other than that, they have no proof that she was OUI. Maybe she was, maybe not. Without proof beyond all reasonable doubt, she's innocent in a court of law.

Court of public or family opinion is a different story.
196. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 3:49PM EST
rfenst wrote:
Sorry to learn that, Shawn.

I'm assuming you're not sorry about the whiskey sour recipe LOL.

I had a bit of a rocky start. I left it and life is good. No worries.

yadda yadda yadda...
197. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 4:34PM EST
Did a handful of errands today so time to wind down. Chicken chimichanga (drizzled with some c0ck sauce, sriracha is my go to sauce condiment), rice and beans are being processed in my digestive tract. One load of laundry in the dryer and a second in the washer. Might take a cat nap while the laundry is tumbling.
198. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 5:26PM EST
Country style pork ribs on da grill.. bruschetta on sliced baguette.. BigGrin
199. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 5:56PM EST
I could go for a hunk of country style pork ribs off the grill right about now...
200. Author: Ram27Date: Sat, 5/13/2023, 6:13PM EST
Dang Bucky youse be slipping ^ a

One double NEIN
Think
FirstPrev23456NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic