Slimboli
22 years ago
Do you know how much an add can run in CA?

Besides ... Bucanero would never stoop to 'buying' ratings ...

... and they don't need it.
Slimboli
22 years ago
And donutboy2000 ... the ratings they've received in Smoke Magazine were not inflated because they ran an add in their magazine ...

Smoke Mag runs independent blind tastings ...

... give me a break!
dz130
22 years ago
I don't "blindly" follow the ratings posted in various places. I use the information they provide (price, W/B/F components, type, etc.) to assist me in deciding what to try. Many times I see gars I wouldn't pay any attention to that I decide might be worth trying. Just because it scores a "92" doesn't mean I'll buy it.
Just look here, or on other BB's at what everyone is smoking, try it, then decide for yourself. The good brothers here have turned me on to many great sticks with their reviews.

Just my $.02, BWTFDIK.
donutboy2000
22 years ago
I guess I'm just more cynical than you about the blind tastings in Smoke. In the Fall 2003 issue out of 32 cigars rated they rate 27 cigars excellent and 5 good. Do all the cigars they send out get such positive ratings or do they leave the poorly rated cigars out of the magazine? The opportunity is surely there to be influenced by ad dollars just as CA could be influenced by ad dollars. Unless you work for the magazine you could not be sure.
Slimboli
22 years ago
Oh, I dunno about that ...

... I sat and talked with Robert Spoden for a couple of hours at one of the Bucanero events he was at in Napa ...

... we talked about Smoke Mag and CA, and I honetly believe he wouldn't have put his companies reputation on the line, if it wasn't legit.

He is a very sincere and honest man (those who have met him will back this up) ... and I don't believe his personal morals or ethics would have allowed him to let something like false ratings jeopardize all that he has worked so hard for, and what he has strived so long to accomplish with his cigars.

After all, if the cigar doesn't stand up to te ratings ... you basically lost all your credibility, and they do stand up to those ratings.

Just look at what most of the folks here have to say about them ... (BeatDragon excluded ... hehehe) ...
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
All I know is all of the Bucs I have smoked have been great. I don't care what someone else rates them. I buy C.A. to look at the pictures not read the articles. Whoops got that backwards I buy playboy to read the articles not look at the oh hell I am confused. BUCKS ROCK THATS ALL I KNOW.
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado Topic Starter
22 years ago
But then again, a rating of 85 is considered Very Good to Excellent. With all the different cigar brands out there, I wouldn't be ashamed of that rating...

And I love my Bucs...........
Penguin13
22 years ago
What Slim said.

Robert and Johnny and two class act guys that make a wonderful cigar! I don't believe nor do I want to believe they would buy their ratings in any sense. Wonderful cigars and a great company 🙂

KC
Users browsing this topic