rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
Steve R. Thanks for the post A newbie like myself sure can use that type of information. Its people like you and slim and several others on this forum that make my little hobby so much fun. Learning as I go.
rdk
Lowman
22 years ago
Hey BigTony...

*** threadjack on ***

Gee, what a suprise... a guy named "Tony" from Belleville... LOL

Grad BHS '83. Lived on Forest St. till '96 then moved to an apt in Nutley. Bought a house in Belleville 12/00. I live on Fairview... along golf course, below Garden Ave.

You still in area??? lowman665 yahoo

*** threadjack off ***

Low

PS.... Don't buy the Estevan Cruz !!
Steve*R
22 years ago
Interesting........11:00am...Tuesday....

Only 28 of 150 boxes bid on.

I'm really quite surprised.
Steve*R
22 years ago
My apology for so many posts. I know there are many fans of Don Douglas blended cigars here so I spent a little time trying to locate the last of the Costa Rican production. Tony Borhani of Bahia cigars in a letter to one of the cigar BBSs related that the bulk of his remaining production was bundled under the brand La Floridita Cigars.
wer
  • wer
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
I'm gonna wait until the start of a new shipping cycle. That way I can load up and save a buck or two (lol, yeah I drive an extra mile to save a penny on gas too.).
BigTony
22 years ago
---Threadjack on----
Hey Low.... I was born and raised in Bloomfield on Ampere Pkwy. Graduated Blmfd H.S. in '90. Rented a place in Belleville on Mill St.for a while when I was working down in Newark on Ferry St. Now, well I'm about 2700 miles away in lovely Seattle, WA. My wife and I are buying a house so it looks like I'm stuck here 😉 I try to get back at least once a year to visit. I miss it terribly and Seattle ain't nothing like Jersey!
----Threadjack off----
statelandman
22 years ago
Steve R - Thanks for the info on La Floridita. I bought a bundle of the maduros awhile back and I've enjoyed them a lot, especially at $1/stick. Always wondered where they came from.
Steve*R
22 years ago
With the La Floriditas, you have to be careful, now!! The last of the Costa Rican production is at one location at closeout. La Floridita will continue to be made, but in Nicaragua and by a different roller. Same name, but totally different cigar. All that remains are petite belicosos and robustos.
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Steve,of these two,which would recommend and in which wrapper? X
Steve*R
22 years ago
X: I'll email you.
ken9810
22 years ago
Steve and X on the same cigar,that's a combo to listen to.Aliphus and I ordered a couple bundles,he gets em first so I'll ask him to post a review.
dbguru
22 years ago
Well I just got my box from this special today and checked it out. JohnFS was wondering about these so I thought I'd do an update even though this special finished over a month ago. The box labels stated these were Dominican in origin. My thoughts on these 5x50 maduro robustos in a 5 star scale was as follows

Pre-smoke aroma: 4 - nice and sweet

Appearance 4 - Smooth dark wrapper with few blemishes nice label

Start 4 - Initial flavor profile was almost more Nicaraguan than Dominican. Sweet coffee and woodsy overtones, mostly pleasant

Draw 4.5 - Excellent & very easy at the start, stayed that way until some buildup slowed it down in the last inch.

Construction 3.5 - Has some minor canoeing but for the most part acceptible

Body 4 - Medium smoke volume with nice flavor.

Finish 3.5 - got a bit hot at the end as tars started to slow this baby down.

Overall, I'd say 4 inches of the 5 inch robusto was very nice and very well worth the under 2 dollar price that these went out at on special. I'd say a good coffee smoke. I think the wrapper was added a nice touch to this cigar giving it a flavor profile that was a corss between typical medium bodied Nicaraguans and Dominicans. Overall I'm quite satisfied for the price but would look for alternatives if these cost more than 3 bucks.

DB

THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
dbguru , nice review. Good smoke, great price. I like these a lot. No, they aren't the same as the Don Douglas blend, but they have been blended skillfully and are a real value. If you like maduros/oscuros I think you'll like these. They're very good OTT, in a year or so they should be wonderful.
xibbumbero
22 years ago
CS told me that there were some Costa Rican made EC boxes but alas I didn't get one. Mine are DR's. Anybody get a Costa Rican EC box? X
Users browsing this topic