redneck1
21 years ago
I'll bet your daughter thought she had a whale!! That's one she will never forget.

Mydsooner, don't skin em'. Just fillet em' like you would any other fish.
KNOF
21 years ago
mmmmmmmmmmmm yummmmmm!

Seeing this pic again only makes me want April 2 to get here sooner. April 2 is the opener for salmon season!!!

Pictures to follow!
redneck1
21 years ago
Have you tried smoked catfish? I fillet the fish but leave the skin on. Soak the fish in brine solution (very salty water) overnight and smoke them the next day with the skin side down.
cexshun
21 years ago
Maybe it was just the way my parents were raised, but I was told that due to the skeletal structure of a catfish that they are extremely difficult to fillet.

Is it the same process of belly, scoop, head, fillet, flip, fillet?
TrannyMk
21 years ago
Nice haul...have fun skinning those cats though...thems got some mighty strong skin...
bassdude
21 years ago
extremely easy to filet(just cut around the rib cage) but I prefer all fish on the bone.

I filet for the wife and kids.
Jdllizard
21 years ago
Every Memorial day some friends gather at a cabin on a river, owned by my buddys uncle. We run lines for cats and have a big fish fry Friday and Saturday nights. We also drink ourselves stupid, grill whatever, whenever, and play horseshoes until the sun comes up. We keep the fire going 24/7 and have a party that last about five days. Its coming up, I can't wait for this years festivities!
John L
Burky4467
21 years ago
That's good eats!! Perfect oil temp is the key 375 degrees, no more no less!
kornazoo
21 years ago
Stupid me.
I thought Bassdude played the Bass.
MACS
21 years ago
I LOVE fried catfish.
cexshun
21 years ago
korn, interestingly enough, bassdude is a drummer.
bassdude
21 years ago
Author: cexshun Date: 02/24/2005 01:40 PM Reply
Maybe it was just the way my parents were raised, but I was told that due to the skeletal structure of a catfish that they are extremely difficult to fillet.

Is it the same process of belly, scoop, head, fillet, flip, fillet?
------------------------------------------------------

you lost me on the belly, scoop. You can skin them first or not then just cut flip cut. If I filet crappie I scale them and leave the skin on.
dapperdan
21 years ago
Them wiskers are sharp! But nothing like a sculpin fish caught off the coast in California. They hurt! Tasty though. Fish N chips.
myash07
21 years ago
*the biggest one here was 6.25 lbs - my 7 year old daughter cuaght in on a Zebco with Sunny's.*

I bet she had a blast landing that big ol' cat!!!

I asked the kids if they were ready to go fishing yet?
My two girls "No" My son "YES!"
Gargamel
21 years ago
Cat fishes is good eats. Nice catch.
Users browsing this topic