eleltea
24 years ago
CGirl, are you real or a transpostite? Oh, never mind. I withdraw the question. Welcome aboard.
CigarGirl
24 years ago
Well, somewhere, someday, someone is gonna have to tell me what happened with the LGC girl deal. You have my curiosity up.

I'm honest to a fault. A little whacked-but NO Cybil. (laughing now)

I'm learning about cigars... and have enjoyed smoking them for a number of years, ...say maybe six or seven years as a real interest. But my first cigar was years ago in Atlantic City. I was invited or happened to be at a very expensive fine restaurant with a girlfriend, a wealthy male friend and a number of the male friends colleagues. We were at a sizeable round table for dinner and there were maybe eight of us. Most there were over thirty, I was eighteen and pretty shy. Anyway, at the end of the meal a cigar box was passed around by the waiter for the people in our party. The waiter stopped in front of all the men but did not ask my friend Theresa or myself if we wanted one. I will never forget how that made me feel. I will never be able to associate myself with all those militant feminists out there... but that night was the begining of my own personal revolution. And the begining of understanding how some things work. I asked the waiter if I could have a cigar. The mood was awkward for just a moment.... The men debated. One says "don't do that", another says "don't ever let anyone tell you, you can't do anything"..... and so on. I took the cigar lit it, and smoked it. I was so proud of myself for not backing out of a good idea. I don't remember what kind of cigar it was but the wrapper leave-or whatever it's called-was dark. The cigar was smooth (thank god!)and tasted good. It was a great experience.

Slimboli
24 years ago
Go to the 'Picture Forum', and if you've got about an hour or so to spare ... read all the posts.

It's all in there ...
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
24 years ago
Cigar Girl, the plates you are talking about sound like engraving plates to me. The ink is forced into the grooves on the plate. Then the excess is wiped off the face and then paper is laid on top of the plate and pressed into the grooves, (hence, printing press).It produces a slightly raised printing image a little like embossing. Our own paper money is engraved. It is most likely a Brass Die. They are expensive to make and last a long time. Engraving plates used to be produced by hand (still is by the Treasury Dept.)

You might be able to tell, If you cut me I bleeed ink. LoL I've been a printer for way too many years.

If what you have is an antique hand made engraving by a true artist, it may be worth some money.

Barry
jimmy@ctconnect.com
24 years ago
Hmmmmm..... what say we set up a printing service for some Cuban Cigar labels .... glue them on some Lone Wolf cigars .... and pass them out to the newbies here on the site .... better yet - keep 'em on hand to pass out to the moochers in the family that steal sticks from us when they visit.
CigarGirl
24 years ago
A start up business... What a good idea! (laughing loud!)

They must be engraving plates. I was wondering how that would work. Is that how the raised marks occur on labels? Can multiple colors of ink be used with that method? I wish I knew EXACTLY how old for sure. They are names we all know. Love? I don't know.

These things are really cool. Wish I could show ya but it's fun to check this out with you guys just the same.

(Thanks BMW)

CigarGirl
24 years ago
I wonder if there are legal issues for this sort artifact? (Late in the game for a public question like that huh.) If I ended up with a printing block for US money, that would be scary no matter how antique.... Not sure it would be a good thing? Legal to collect?
CigarGirl
24 years ago
BMW, Was using a friends log-in name over there at CA. Was at E's house, faster computer. Thanks again for info.

-CG
CigarGirl
24 years ago
Gonz, You out there? What do you think? -CG
Slimboli
24 years ago
I doubt he'll see this post ... it's best to email him at [email protected] with your questions.
CigarGirl
24 years ago
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
24 years ago
CG
I thought I noticed a similar post over on the other board (MnEric?)
It would take a die for each color to do multiple color printing.
The Printing Association of America (PIA) has quite a few museums. If you can find their website maybe you can get more information about what it is you have.
I wouldn't worry about any copywrite infringement as long as you're not producing anything for sale or counterfiting,he,he.
Barry
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
24 years ago
If you had a plate from the U.S. Treasury you would also have a house full of Feds going through everything you own. Very few counterfiters ever get away with it. Even seriously contemplating doing it is considered conspiring to counterfit and is just as serious as actually doing it. A Xerox copy of a bill in it's actual size with no modifications can land you in JAIL!
Barry
CJBully
24 years ago
bmw, i know that it is legal to own dies from the u.s. mint. are the engraving plates illegal to own?
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
24 years ago
Almost anything related to the manufacture of money is illegal to possess. Even the paper! The engraving plates never leave the halls of the Treasury Dept. When they are worn out they are destroyed. No one person even gets the privialge of making a single plate. Each engraver only does a small part of the plate to discourage any of them from making one for the black market. Papers similar to money can be bought commercially but if a paper company does sell it to you and they don't know you, they make a phone call to the Feds. The Feds will follow you home and let you go to work. When they are satisfied that you have produced enough evidence, you're busted!

Barry
CigarGirl
24 years ago
Thanks Rick, thanks Barry. Now I look for the labels to match. -Heather (CG)
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
24 years ago
Heather, did you ever get a picture of them? What brand, product are the plates for?
Barry
[email protected]
CigarGirl
24 years ago
Ramon Allones, JL-Juan Lopez (?), and two others. One of which just says Habana. It's design is oval.

-CG
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
24 years ago
Thanks a lot for the photos Heather. I'll get back to you.
Barry
Users browsing this topic