ZRX1200
6 years ago
I think he’s building a Deathstar out of empty cigars boxes in his blanket fort btw.
Brewha
6 years ago

So if you hold black colored plastic while you talk it’s now para-military assault speech. Got it!

Tell me how you buy a gun without a background check.

ZRX1200 wrote:


No, black plastic is not dangerous. Besides I though they moved to Earth Brown...


Go to a gun show and buy from a private seller.
Brewha
6 years ago

I think he’s building a Deathstar out of empty cigars boxes in his blanket fort btw.

ZRX1200 wrote:


Thanks, I should have known....
Mrs. dpnewell
6 years ago

You need a permit to learn to drive a car on the road. You need a permit to fish. So I guess Big Gov oppression is already here.

Well lets see now: I need and FAA permit to broadcast (1st)
Cant vote without registering.

Besides, how is a person voting at all dangerous to the public like guns are?






You'er just afraid that if we make owning a gun like driving a car the Govmut is going to take your Ginsu's.

Brewha wrote:



So, you get the right to determine which Constitutional rights can be infringed upon, depending on your perceived danger of that right. Got it. BTW, the last time I checked, neither driving nor fishing where Constitutionally protected rights.

How about we talk about the "danger to the public" of legally owned firearms. In 2013, then President Obama commissioned the CDC to do a study on gun violence. His hope was that he could declare gun violence a health epidemic, and sidestep our Constitution. Instead, the study found that law abiding gun owners use their legally owned firearms between 500,000 to 3,000,000 times EACH year to defend life and property from criminal attack. The study also found that the mere presence of the firearm was many times all that was required to stop the attack, and that shots where not fired. It was also discovered that those who used a firearm for self defense where far less likely to be injuired, or their injuries where far less severe then those who used other forms of self defense.

Since the CDC study found that legally owned firearms prevent up to 3,000,000 murders, rapes, muggings, assaults, robberies, etc. EACH YEAR, I contend that they are more of a benefit to public safety, then a danger.

David
delta1
6 years ago
wonder why the NRA induced Congress to oppose gun use research all these years...

seems that there will be a study soon though, since late last year Congress approved $25M for a study on gun safety: half to NIH and half to CDC...should be interesting...
frankj1
6 years ago
what are the factors for requiring a permit to assemble?
and placing geographical limits on where anti GW Bush protesters could protest?
delta1
6 years ago
blatant govt infringement on First Amendment rights...

SCOTUS says it's OK, with reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions...can't shout "shooter" in a crowded movie theater...
frankj1
6 years ago
your rights end where mine begin...

some good stuff coming from all sides on this. This is the stuff I really enjoy reading here.
makes my brain exercise.

Brewha
6 years ago

So, you get the right to determine which Constitutional rights can be infringed upon, depending on your perceived danger of that right. Got it. BTW, the last time I checked, neither driving nor fishing where Constitutionally protected rights.

How about we talk about the "danger to the public" of legally owned firearms. In 2013, then President Obama commissioned the CDC to do a study on gun violence. His hope was that he could declare gun violence a health epidemic, and sidestep our Constitution. Instead, the study found that law abiding gun owners use their legally owned firearms between 500,000 to 3,000,000 times EACH year to defend life and property from criminal attack. The study also found that the mere presence of the firearm was many times all that was required to stop the attack, and that shots where not fired. It was also discovered that those who used a firearm for self defense where far less likely to be injuired, or their injuries where far less severe then those who used other forms of self defense.

Since the CDC study found that legally owned firearms prevent up to 3,000,000 murders, rapes, muggings, assaults, robberies, etc. EACH YEAR, I contend that they are more of a benefit to public safety, then a danger.

David

Mrs. dpnewell wrote:



Let me guess, in your view the government taking away your right to own nuclear arms is an "infringement" on your rights?


I think your conclusion from the study data is inductive reasoning. Consider that in nations with full on gun control almost no one gets shot - I puzzlement I will grant you.

Hmmmm....
Speyside
6 years ago
I'm all for letting only sane people vote. Trump would still be a reality TV star and Hillary would be president.

[sarcasm]
izonfire
6 years ago
But the voice of sanity replied with “anyone but Hillary”
Speyside
6 years ago
Drafter the voice of sanity?
Mrs. dpnewell
6 years ago

Let me guess, in your view the government taking away your right to own nuclear arms is an "infringement" on your rights?


I think your conclusion from the study data is inductive reasoning. Consider that in nations with full on gun control almost no one gets shot - I puzzlement I will grant you.

Hmmmm....

Brewha wrote:




Yes, let's immediately jump to the absurd (nuclear arms). Personally I wish they had never been invented.

Now, let's remove the 300,000,000 legally owned guns from the law abiding. The reality is that you will not be able to do anything about the millions and millions of guns currently in the hands of criminals. All that would do is create an "open season" for criminals on the unarmed, helpless law abiding. Crime rates would skyrocket, as criminals attack the defenseless law abiding with impunity.

Statistics show that where citizens are armed, crime rates plummet. Where I live in the NC foothills, the vast majority of folk are armed, and crime is virtually non-existent. Criminals prefer unarmed, helpless victims.

David
Mrs. dpnewell
6 years ago

I'm all for letting only sane people vote. Trump would still be a reality TV star and Hillary would be president.

[sarcasm]

Speyside wrote:



You consider the unhinged leftists who scream at the sky and sob under their beds as "sane"?

David
Mrs. dpnewell
6 years ago

Today you can buy a gun without a back ground check. And people can buy para-military weapons that they have no reason to own. No, "because its cool" and "self defense" aren't reasons.

What happen to Darth Tittmus anyway?

Brewha wrote:



Paramilitary - "a group of citizens organised to act as an army or military unit". So, ANY civilian owned weapon could be considered "paramilitary" including revolvers and single shot rifles. Or are you referring to SEMI-AUTO sporting rifles that are designed to LOOK like military rifles, even though they fire no faster, nor are more powerful then many other civilian owned hunting rifles?


AR-15 - fires a .223" diameter, 55 grain bullet with a muzzle energy of approximately 1100 ft. lbs.
.308 Hunting Rifle - fires a .308" diameter, 180 grain bullet with a muzzle energy of approximately 2900 ft. lbs.

That makes the .308 three times more powerful then the AR-15, and they fire at the same rate (1 shot per trigger pull). Facts are a bitch.

David
victor809
6 years ago

Yes, let's immediately jump to the absurd (nuclear arms). Personally I wish they had never been invented.

Now, let's remove the 300,000,000 legally owned guns from the law abiding. The reality is that you will not be able to do anything about the millions and millions of guns currently in the hands of criminals. All that would do is create an "open season" for criminals on the unarmed, helpless law abiding. Crime rates would skyrocket, as criminals attack the defenseless law abiding with impunity.

Statistics show that where citizens are armed, crime rates plummet. Where I live in the NC foothills, the vast majority of folk are armed, and crime is virtually non-existent. Criminals prefer unarmed, helpless victims.

David

Mrs. dpnewell wrote:



His argument is quite logical.

Your stance is that nothing should infringe on the constitutional right to bear arms.

You cannot claim that stance if you are not also willing to allow your neighbor to have a nuke, or a crate of weaponized anthrax or any other item which would fit under "arms". Otherwise you are infringing upon their right.

If your argument instead had been "hey brewha, I respect that you drew your line for what you thought was reasonable oversight of the 2nd amendment over here, but I personally want to draw my line for reasonable oversight of the 2nd amendment over here instead"

But you didn't. So his question is very valid.

(before anyone starts crying and saying I hate america, I would like to remind you that I firmly stand at "no infringement on 2nd amendment rights". I would be happy and giddy to find out that all your neighbors had nukes and crates of weaponized anthrax)

Brewha
6 years ago

Yes, let's immediately jump to the absurd (nuclear arms). Personally I wish they had never been invented.

Now, let's remove the 300,000,000 legally owned guns from the law abiding. The reality is that you will not be able to do anything about the millions and millions of guns currently in the hands of criminals. All that would do is create an "open season" for criminals on the unarmed, helpless law abiding. Crime rates would skyrocket, as criminals attack the defenseless law abiding with impunity.

Statistics show that where citizens are armed, crime rates plummet. Where I live in the NC foothills, the vast majority of folk are armed, and crime is virtually non-existent. Criminals prefer unarmed, helpless victims.

David

Mrs. dpnewell wrote:


The point of mentioning nukes is that the application of the 2nd Amendment is a balancing act. Yes, you can be armed - No, you cannot have nukes.

I think we agree that our wives having a revolver at home for safety is a good idea. Mine even has a 380 for those long walks in the park. And we agree that there are some weapons civilian should not have. So it is about having a balance between too much risk and too little protection.

Now I understand the distrust and lock eyed fear the conservatives have cause a liberbull is gonna take their guns. But that is just the fear mongering.

The subject is simple control of who can buy a gun and tighter regulation of the batsh1t crazy, 45 round mag, high velocity, nobody needs one guns.
Mrs. dpnewell
6 years ago

The point of mentioning nukes is that the application of the 2nd Amendment is a balancing act. Yes, you can be armed - No, you cannot have nukes.

I think we agree that our wives having a revolver at home for safety is a good idea. Mine even has a 380 for those long walks in the park. And we agree that there are some weapons civilian should not have. So it is about having a balance between too much risk and too little protection.

Now I understand the distrust and lock eyed fear the conservatives have cause a liberbull is gonna take their guns. But that is just the fear mongering.

The subject is simple control of who can buy a gun and tighter regulation of the batsh1t crazy, 45 round mag, high velocity, nobody needs one guns.

Brewha wrote:



I understand where you are coming from, but here's my point. If you can outlaw an AR-15, due to it's rate of fire, power, or muzzle velocity, then you can outlaw ALL semi-auto rifles and handguns using the same criteria. I've already showed you that the typical .308 Hunting Rifle is 3 times more powerful then an AR, and fires at the exact same rate, so the .308 and virtually all semi-auto hunting rifles will also have to go. Since semi-auto handguns (like your wife's .380) fire at the same rate as an AR, they will have to go too.

Now we are down to revolvers, pump guns, lever actions, bolt actions and single shots. Jerry Miculek can fire 8 rounds on target from a revolver in under 1 second. That's 480 rounds per minute. He can also fire 6 rounds from his revolver, RELOAD, and fire an additional 6 rounds in 2.99 seconds. That's 240 rounds per minute including reload time. So, if the AR is to be banned due to rate of fire, we must also ban revolvers.

Now we are down to pump guns, lever actions, bolt actions and single shots. Opps, I've seen a guy fire 10 rounds from a lever action rifle in 1.73 seconds (347 RPM), and I've seen Jerry put 8 rounds on 8 separate targets out of a pump shotgun in under 2 seconds (240 RPM). Guess they also have to go. Then there's that video of a guy and his loader hitting 24 clay pigeons in under 24 seconds while manually loading a round after each shot. Wow, that was 60 RPM and he had to manually have each round loaded after each shot. I guess single shots are out too.

My point is, if you want to ban "black rifles" because they look scary, or they frighten you, I understand. But if your criteria for banning them is their rate of fire, muzzle energy or muzzle velocity, you can then use the exact same criteria to ban virtually ALL firearms. This is the danger. If a politician or State can ban ARs and such due to rate of fire or power, they can then use the exact same criteria to eventually ban ALL firearms.

David
victor809
6 years ago
Not to point out the obvious but 1 highly trained individual being able to accomplish something is significantly different than a tool allowing 95% of all morons to accomplish the same thing.

But again, all arms should be available to all people.

But your anti-2nd amendment people need to be more logical in your arguments with each other.
Mrs. dpnewell
6 years ago

His argument is quite logical.

Your stance is that nothing should infringe on the constitutional right to bear arms.

You cannot claim that stance if you are not also willing to allow your neighbor to have a nuke, or a crate of weaponized anthrax or any other item which would fit under "arms". Otherwise you are infringing upon their right.

If your argument instead had been "hey brewha, I respect that you drew your line for what you thought was reasonable oversight of the 2nd amendment over here, but I personally want to draw my line for reasonable oversight of the 2nd amendment over here instead"

But you didn't. So his question is very valid.

(before anyone starts crying and saying I hate america, I would like to remind you that I firmly stand at "no infringement on 2nd amendment rights". I would be happy and giddy to find out that all your neighbors had nukes and crates of weaponized anthrax)

victor809 wrote:



Point taken. So I personally draw the line at neclear, biological and chemical weapons, as I believe that even militaries shouldn't use or possess them. But if a law abiding citizen can afford a main battle tank, or a F35 fighter jet, they should be able to legally own them.

David
Users browsing this topic