Charlie
23 years ago
X, if you don't like em I will trade you a Wolf or two for them!!!! Just joking!!!

Charlie
wanyburger
23 years ago
You know slim, I truly believe that the taste found in the gran cammy is very reminiscent to the opus "x". It has that sweet taste if you know what I mean. By no means are these the same cigar but your point confirmed my thinking. I never knew they supplied Arturo with the tobacco. You know grasshopper, you have come a long way since I have been gone. Very impressive.
jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
23 years ago
I agree with letting the gran cammies rest a little while; they then really open up; these are my go to cammies when I want a change unless I have some CAO cammies hiding further down in the 'dor that I break out every oncet in a while.
wouldestous
23 years ago
hard to go wrong with oliva smokes.
ducati996
23 years ago
Just found my last Flor de Oliva Grand Cameroon robusto and smoked it tonight. The 3 years in my humidor only made it that much smoother. It was fantastic! Only wish it was a torpedo.
osage
23 years ago
Talk about a homerun! Just received my CBid shipment.
5-pack of Flor Oliva Grand Cameroon Belicosos.
5-pack of Flor de Oliva Grand Maduro Perfectos.
5-pack of Oliva O Ole Maduros.
egruff
23 years ago
I have to agree that the Oliva family is producing some awesome smokes. The "O" Maduros are superior to the Flor de Olivas, but do cost more. One thing I've noticed about Nicaraguan smokes is the buzz factor - as good as any I've had. After a martini and Flor de Oliva Churchill, I came precariously close to falling in my swimming pool on the way back into the house!

One note - the Oliva Tobacco Co in Florida is completely unrelated to the Olivas who produce the cigars.

E
Charlie
23 years ago
The Oliva O Maddies will give you a nice buzz!!! Powerhouses!

Charlie
Slimboli
23 years ago
egruff --- the two families ARE distantly related, it's just that one family grows only for distribution to the major cigar manufacturers, and the other makes cigars.

The URL I posted above is about the family that grows the tobacco (and does not make cigars), and this one is about the family that does ...

http://www.olivacigar.com/oliva_life_tobacco.htm 

This is a quote from John Oliva, that I borrowed from another forum, in which he is an active member:

Shane is correct we are distantly related. We do in fact get along very well. There has never been any animosity between my family (Oliva Tobacco Co. - the tobacco growers) and Gilberto Oliva (Oliva Cigar Co. - the cigar makers).

As I have stated many times on this board they are a valued customer of our company, and I'm frankly proud that some of our tobacco goes into their product. They make a damn good cigar.

About the only problem we ever had was when they started their cigar company I guess some 6 or 7 years ago, and called it Oliva Tobacco Co. This was done unintentionally. You know how we settled it. My father called Gilberto Jr and said there would be a problem with that creating confusion with our customers who might think we had gone into the cigar manufacturing bussiness.

Gilbertico agreed and changed the company name to Oliva Cigar. No lawyers, no threats of lawsuits, and no hard feelings. All it took was a simple ten minute phone conversation.

Now for the record - Oliva Tobacco Co. (my company) only grows tobacco. We sell tobacco in some form or another to just about every major cigar manufacturer outside of Cuba. Tabacalera Oliva (Oliva Cigar Co.) makes only cigars and grows some tobacco for their own use. Our families relationship goes all the way back to Cuba, but the two companies are not related in any way.


I hope this clears some things up ...
egruff
23 years ago
Slimboli,

Understood. My intent was to say that there is no business connection from our (cigar smokers) viewpoint. A few of my buddies (incorrectly) assumed that the Oliva Tobacco Co. produces the cigars.

Regardless of the connection, great smokes!!!

E
jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
23 years ago
Smoked a FOG cameroon churchill last night that I awoke from an 8 month rest. Very very easily comparable to a CAO cammie at less than half the cost. Draw was perfect, nice n oily, and clouds of rich smoke. I still enjoy my aged CAO cammies, but with these FOG cammies sleeping alongside, my CAOs last that much longer.
Users browsing this topic