SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
23 years ago
I sat down at my computer a few minutes ago, clipped and lit a wonderful La Aurora that was recently gifted to me by a friend I met on this board ... in starting my post, I saw where there has been work done already today ... one of our number has got the jump on things and has successfully identified and clearly illustrated, the very problem I'm posting this to address ...

A recent posting on the Cbid board noted the number of guys who were “Missing in Action” lately and named several folks from whom we’ve seen very little in recent months … far more than those named have been missing and I’ve got a pretty good idea why that’s true … in verifying my thoughts, I wrote personal e-mails to many of them and their responses confirmed my thinking …

The problem, simply stated, is the unpleasantness that we’ve seen all too much of on the boards in recent months … since the closure of that bulletin board on another site that we won’t name, but everyone knows the two initial name of, there’s been an overwhelming influx of new faces on Cbid … while nothing is wrong with new people coming on board, many of the refugees from the closed board brought with them concepts of what was normal on cigar BBs that did not exist on Cbid … and the nature of their posts reflect those (to us) alien concepts.

Other newbies and a few of our old regulars have all too willingly joined on those threads and have lowered the tone here .. we see an overwhelming amount of acrimony and personal invective that were seldom if ever seen here before … some of what has been posted has an almost juvenile “writing on the restroom walls nature about it, some a silly and inane quality and some a very parsimonious nature …

Many of our regulars, daunted by the BS, have taken the course of least resistance and have either joined other boards or simply stopped participating altogether … not many of us have the time and energy to become deputy lords of discipline and “slim-slap” the offenders.

Cbid has always been a family … not necessarily one in which all members got along all the time or saw eye-to-eye on every issue … far from it … but with a rare exception or two, it has never sunk to a personal level in which attacks on one another were seen. Sure, there has been a bit of sometimes frustrating and annoying thread-jacking, but that too has increased exponentially in recent times.

The good folks at CI/CB are naturally reluctant to come down too hard on offenders … (A) because they ARE good folks and (B) because they are in business and the offenders are their customers … with a few exceptions in which offenders have gone far over the limits, few are banished from the site … not many threads are deleted from the board, although there are quite a significant number that by the rules could be.

There’ve been more threads censored and deleted in the past 60 days than I can remember happening in the two years that preceded them … and some of those whose threads have been deleted or censored are actually taking pride in that having happened as though it were a merit badge of some sort …

ENOUGH of that … !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a great number of us that want that to stop and stop for good … we’re sick and tired of all the dis-harmony and 7th grade bathroom silliness … we want a forum in which cigars and other topics can be discussed or even debated in a REASONABLE and CIVIL manner … we want a forum in which the “conversation” is kept within the bounds it would be kept if we were all in a large room and talking face to face …

I can’t count the number of times I’ve said it before, but the best example of what I’m talking about can be found in the relationship that I and Rickamaven enjoy … no two people could have more divergent political opinions, but no two people could have a warmer, friendlier and more cordial relationship than the two of us enjoy. We each have high respect for the other and despite deep differences in opinion, have kept all of our exchanges on a high-toned plane … there is no acrimony whatever.

We want to see all the old faces return … we want to see all the new faces remain and join those of us who’ve been around in the months and years before the closure of that other board. We want to see those whose concept of a BB is to slam one another and engage in juvenile behavior to go elsewhere … there are plenty of other boards where that sort of thing is prevalent and well-tolerated …

To that end, we will not engage in this sort of behavior … we will NOT respond to these sorts of rantings … we will isolate them and ignore them and leave them all alone … we will let them be seen for what they are… they will NOT be “Slim-slapped”, either by Slim or by a deputy … there will be NO response whatsoever to posts of this sort ... let me repeat that last ... there will be NO response to provocation whatsoever on these boards ... the provocateurs will be completely isolated and ignored as if they did not exist.

We will reclaim our board and will be only too happy to see the return of those members who’ve been Missing in Action and let those who don’t yet know them see firsthand, what an extreme pleasure a really good cigar BB CAN be …
SteveR@CigarBid
23 years ago
Well said Steve. I too would love to see these boards back the way they used to be.
Robby
23 years ago
Good point, good point Steve, none of this hostility like say, "you truly are pathetic", it would be nice not to have that kind of acrimony. Unless the ends justify the means only in some cases? I would think it would be much better if there were no hostility. That means from everyone. Not just the folks you don't like. Food for thought...
RknRmnd
23 years ago
This in response to what Steve has mentioned about all of the childish behavior going on. I don't know where it all started or who started it all; it doesn't really matter. For those who seem to participate in disparaging others, please understand there are consequences for your actions.

Sorry, I was not there for most of this Steve for God has blessed me with a great business to keep me ultra busy. That, vacation, and other the facets of my life. I would like however to post on the childlike nature that the CBid forum has turned into lately. I live in a world of adults and like to be treated the way others would respect... with respect! Thanks again for giving us the leadership and opportunity to speak
out and band together as friends.
RJ
Slimboli
23 years ago
Steve ... it's good to see your original post, the way you intended it to be presented and read by everyone ... and in the proper context.

I agree 110% ... and it's not in my best interests to have to take on the role of the so-called 'Lord of Discipline' and 'Slim-Slap' those who don't have a clue. It would be such a relief if I didn't have to go there ...

I'm willing to do my part ... and I just hope others here will have the courage to make a change for the better on these forums also.

Time will tell ... who shall succeed, and who shall fail.

jgjam
23 years ago
Steve...
Count me in. I enjoy a cordial, civil debate as much as the next guy but it is truly sad when many of these debates become personal attacks upon individuals. I have read many opinions and views posted by others that I both agree and disagree with but never have I viewed the poster with any less respect. I would hope everyone would feel the same. Differing views and idiologies are what make this society great as long as they are presented in a civilized manner.

John
osage
23 years ago
Amen Brother!
miamibum
23 years ago
Steve:

I could not agree with you more.

Trey
cooksta2
23 years ago
I have been on these boards for about two years and have never seen them in such a hostile condition. I am under the impression we are all here to enjoy the company of those who enjoy cigars and trade occasionally. Lately, I have been seeing one name in the middle of some argument trying to one-up the next person that has been insulted over and over. Yes it is true that if one is not interested in what someone has to say then don't read it. But why do we all have to be subjected to trash talking ego based conflict. Keep it up R and there will be few left in which one may converse. I have always been more in the sidelines and I myself am fairly conservative but until the bridge burning ends I will seldomly check in. maybe just trades. Also, since this is a read only board the "well then don't read it " is impossible.
E-Chick
23 years ago
AHHHH...I feel like we can all exhale now.

Thanks Steve for initiating this. You sir, are the epitome of a true gentleman. I applaud your well thought essay and resolution to improve the standards here.

Of course, I've been a huge player in this and will do my utmost to control myself. Unfortunately, I'm a fighter. And when push comes to shove, and I'm hit with personal insults, I will react. If manure isn't flung at me, there will be no reactions.

However, I will be tested to remain quiet if flamed. But I am up for the challenge if it so arises...

I must say, that I have only visited other boards and call this one home...the others are absolutely awful.

Thank you Steve...and thank you CBid...

No go enjoy that cigar!

;)

Marla
iquester
23 years ago
I count Steve and monay others on this board as friends. They have come to my aid when my son and most of his possesions and his whole cigar collection were stolen. They have offered advice, traded information and cigars. I have sent opinions on the boards, love bombs, pool cigars, and "check this out" smokes and received the same in the mail. I have tried to help a couple of people I met here with issues of faith they emailed about (I am also a Pastor.) I found this to be a comfortable, welcoming forum. Some of that began to "pass away" as the board grew recently and took a different tone. It was easier to "rise above it" by my absence, and life was busy enough already. I miss what once was. I agree completely with Steve and will "rise above" any negative postings -- but I intend to be "present" rather than "absent" once again!

Mike Gardner (iquester)
Charlie
23 years ago
Hey Mike, I agree, and hope that the results of Steve's effort are rewarding?

Charlie
donutboy2000
23 years ago
The voice of reason in the wilderness. Thanks
Steve.
Dishman
23 years ago
Steve, I could not agree with you more. You are one of the reasons I started posting here in the first place. I have met many good friends on these boards. I hope that one day things will return to "normal".
Steve*R
23 years ago
Writing as a person who has visited the cigar BBSs for many years, since they were simple list-serves, what has happened at this forum prevails at, virtually, every cigar BBS today. Regretfully, there are those who will use any open forum to spew rather than contribute. Based on my visits to the CBid forum, the problem, here, is still a small one. The suggestion by Steve, above, to ignore those posters is the only way to deal with them effectively, unless the owner of the forum elects to ban them, and lose a customer.
rayder1
23 years ago
My feelings are known.

Those who are the reason for SteveS post have made their voices loud and clear on many other posts since this one.

Too funny....okay...everyone who has acted like a jerk...stand up and raise your hand....they all did.
jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
23 years ago
Agree 110% SteveS. It remains to be seen how it will all play out, but I'll do my part in trying to keep these threads the way the were intended to be--cigar related where it is supposed to be cigar related and that goes for the intent of the other boards as well.

Cudos to all that have this as their goal as well.
jjohnson28
23 years ago
"Well said Steve. I too would love to see these boards back the way they used to be."

This is one of the funniest statements to date.Dude they used to bash newbies around here for the most innocent of mistakes,it didn't bother me because I could/can hold my own.IMHO the whinners are truly inhabiting the assylum now.

Sincerly,JJ
Lowman
23 years ago
"Words of wisdom, Lloyd... words of wisdom..."

Low
THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
23 years ago
Users browsing this topic