tonylum
  • tonylum
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
I just picked up a bottle of propylene glycol from my local drug store. Does anyone know the ratio of water to mix in with it. Is it 50-50 (50 water-50glycol)?

zeegars at tonylum dot com
plabonte
22 years ago
50/50 is how I mix mine.
plabonte
22 years ago
Oh, and use distilled water not tap water.
tonylum
  • tonylum
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Thanks a lot. I kind of figured it was a 50-50 mix. I just mixed up a batch using medical grade water (can't get any purer water than that) Fresh cigars, here I come....
Thanks, Tony
Deriffe
22 years ago
Just remember that you don't want to refresh you humidifier with 50/50 EVERY time. Once you charge it up, refresh once a month or so with distilled water. If you get too much PPG in the sponge, it won't work right.
eleltea
22 years ago
Here's an alternate suggestion: your solution starts out at 50-50. Water evaporates much more quickly than the propylene glycol, but it does evaporate over time. As a result, from the first time you add distilled water, you begin a process that will get you farther and farther from the ideal 50-50 ratio. If you add more 50-50, you will have too much PG. If you add only distilled water, you will have too much H2O. Solution? Buy a bunch of cheap sponges and change them every time you need to replenish, so your humidifier will always be at 50-50!
eleltea
22 years ago
sponge=florist oasis or sponge
Slimboli
22 years ago
eleltea --- I don't think that really matters all that much ...

... everywhere you find information on it, they tell you to add the 50/50 about every three months or so, and pure distilled water the rest of the time.

Also, PG is heavier than water ... and the 50/50 is by weight, not volume (for the purists out there).

And you've got to remember, PG really isn't even necessary, if you stay on top of filling your 'credos'. All PG does is keep the Rh balanced ... if it gets to dry, it releases moisture, too wet ... and it absorbs it.

I know that you know this ... but some of the newer folks may not.
Users browsing this topic