mrkmitch
22 years ago
Something to replace the inexpensive (read cheap)Don Douglas Tambor bundles lost forever. Any suggestions.
KYCOLONEL
22 years ago
No ideas for a puro replacement but I might suggest trying Quorum cigars-not a Nic puro, but tastes like it could be. This brand has Nicaraguan fillers and binders and Ecuador-Sumatra wrappers.

Very good deals on bundles available on the net;
80 cents or so a stick. Good cigar for the $$$.
SteveS
22 years ago
Quorum isn't the worst cigar I ever smoked, but it's no replacement for the Tambor ...
DrMaddVibe
22 years ago
I dunno...The Villizon(sp?) has a nice go on that title. Every single one is like a Punch that I've had.
mrkmitch
22 years ago
Appreciate the suggestions, will look at them all. Others are also welcome. Thanks.
bildo
22 years ago
TRINIDAD Y CIA, haven't had one in a while but from what I remember they needed a couple of months to age and then were a pretty descent smoke. Not a nic puro, a mixed filler dom/hon/nic blend with a sungrown wrapper and way, way cheap.
HockeyDad
22 years ago
Cupido. It isn't as cheap as the Tambor bundle but they're good.
jdobson
22 years ago
I agree on the Quorum. Not a favorite of mine. I tried one when I was looking to find some more inexpensive smokes so I could smoke more often. This one pushed me back towards more expensive cigars 🙂

Also agree on the Cupido. Very nice for the price - especially the CBid prices. Since I have been smoking more, though, these are quickly becoming too mild for me.
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
Padron!

Barry
jgjam
22 years ago
What Barry said... tough to be any of the Padrons. Not always the least expensive but you can always count on a quality cigar.

John
jgjam
22 years ago
That should be "beat" instead of "be"... LOL

John
captainfudgie
22 years ago
The best value in Nicaraguan puros is definetely
La Finca. Boxes of 25 run less than $30.
captainfudgie
22 years ago
One additional note to those who purchase La Fincas is you can't smoke them right out of the box. They need just a short nap in the humidor for just a couple of weeks or so and then they are a much the better.
mrkmitch
22 years ago
Thanks for the suggestions. The La FInca looks promising from the mechandising verbage I've read. I guess there will never be a true replacement for the Tambor Bundles, $10/25 here on Cbid. They will surely be missed, I'm down to my last bundle of these. They're a GREAT .40 smoke.
tonester666
22 years ago
I would suggest the Grand Nica and I quote;

All I can say about this smoke is that Carlos Torano knows how to make one hell of a cigar! This smoke uses all Nicagaraguan tobaccos for every part of the cigar. They are full flavored and smooth.

They run about $35 for 25 torps.
dbguru
22 years ago
Had the classic of all basic Nic puros last night, a Padron 2000 Maddie picked up in an action about 20 months ago at $3 a stick. Oooooo wow.... the age had transformed the trditional coffee flavor into a sweeter vanilla coffee flavor with super rich body. Now perhaps in some folks minds $3/stick is not inexpensive but for me the taste last night was $10 a stick good. Got about 10 of these puppies left....

I beg your padron,
DB
gars44
22 years ago
Have you noticed this one : Vegas de Tabacalera Esteli .....
I have one bundle, and like the taste. Unfortuanately, they arrived very dry, and I have had them in my humi for two weeks waiting for the moisture content to rise. I just smoked my 2nd one, and they still have low moisture.

Would you return these or give them more time, if you bought them?
Am I waisting my time trying to re-hydrate them?

BTW I paid about $25 for 20 sticks on this site. I really like 5 Vegas brand (about $39), which is why I gave a bid on these. They are not the same, and I do prefer the blend in the 5 Vegas over these, but they are OK.
Users browsing this topic