mjw51
  • mjw51
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
22 years ago
Opinions regarding what ports, liquors or other drinks go well with relaxing
with a good cigar

thanks in advance for your input

MJW51
Slimboli
22 years ago
For non-alcoholic drinks ... I did a search and found this thread, which is pretty good ...

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/forum/forum.cfm?action=list&forumID=1&messageDisplay=0000000008618 
originalgoat
22 years ago
Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Glenfiddich...
Dark beers (stouts, porters, particularly russian imperial stout)
Any good red wine is good for me, particularly with a padron (any size)
ky70
22 years ago
I have become a big Port fan over the last month. The Ports that I LOVE with a cigar are Benjamin's Tawny and Whisker's Blake Tawny...they're actually Australian (taboo, I know) but I prefer their flavor to that of the "true" ports that I have had (Graham's, Fonseca's, Warre's). I have not had any of the higher end Ports so I can not offer any help there, but in $10 - $15 range, I highly recommend the 2 Australian Ports listed above

Ken
jdobson
22 years ago
Don't apologize for Australian ports! They hold their own in the tawny department and always taste older than they are. I love Benjamin - especially at $11 a bottle - best deal out there. If you like Australian, also don't miss the Galway Pipe. A little more, but very good.
AVB
  • AVB
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
A search will turn up a few threads on this subject. I like scotch with my cigars. What scotch depends on what cigar.
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
Two words-Woodford Reserve
DrMaddVibe
22 years ago
bobl42
22 years ago
I enjoy Graham's Vintage or Ramos Portos (a Tawny Port) for Port....altho I think I will try the Australian based on other posts. Love a good cabarnet sauvignon with a cigar...I ususally go for Mondavi or Sterling Vineyards or a local brand called Clover Hill. I agree with the stoudt for beers....I go for black chocolate stoudt with a cigar on the deck on a cool evening....but, an IPA, ESB or a barleywine will also go great.
Steve*R
22 years ago
Sorry, but I cannot drink non-Portugese port. I've tried the Australians and they don't have the mouth-feel or taste.

The best buy in Porto--Portugese port wine-- is in Late Bottled Vintage aka LBV. For $25.00 you can buy a Dow's or Cockburn or Taylor-Fladgate 1995 LBV that is absolutely delicious, immediately. I like them far better than the 10, 15, or, even, 20 year old tawnys, and for less money.

Try one bottle of LBV and you'll never buy lesser portos again.
bobl42
22 years ago
thanks for the tip....putting LBV on my watch list for next wine run
gorob23
22 years ago
lmao @ Maddvibee
FAST4DR
22 years ago
I enjoy Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel Scotch with a nice cigar
smithbw
22 years ago
Water or coffee
miluns
22 years ago
I agree with rdk. Woodford reserve is awesome.

Another one I have been drinking lately is Buffalo Trace. Great flavor and consistancy from bottle to bottle. Falls between Bookers and Woodford for strength and bite. I think it is only available in KY and parts of IN and TN at the stores, but it might be found on the net.
If you can find it try it!

Mike
Uriah Heef
22 years ago
I was at a cigar tasting and this fellow gave me some WL Weller 19yr old. It was pretty terrific with my Cuesta Rey #9 Pyramid. Then he got me to dip the end in the Weller (I figured wtf it's a freebee anyway) and I gotta tell ya- that was pretty fantastic as well.
dustinderwind
22 years ago
Has anyone ever tried a cold bottle of Virgil's root beer with their favorite smoke? I was very pleased.
KNOF
22 years ago
I did try Rootbeer with a smoke for lunch and was very satisfied with rootbeer, yummmmm.

Any fruit drink is good too for a non-alchohol drink, and for an alchoholic drink try a good cab or whiskey with a dark smoke. For a medium smoke I have enjoyed a port, or some rum (REDRUM & Voodoo Rum) are my favorite rums!!!

Knof
coma-one
22 years ago
I happen to have different drinks for different cigars, according to flavor profile and strength. For exaple a good strong cup of coffee goes real well with a partagas, SLR. A glass of port is delicious with a VSG or an OPUS, also try a berry juice (non alcoholic) Chocolate milk goes well with an aged Monte #2 or a VR Unico. A bucanero and a Guiness Stout pair up nicely. Rum and coke go well with an Ashton, and in the early morning a Fuente Heminway with a cup of Java

MHO!!
Sonny_LSU
22 years ago
CHOCOLATE MILK?.....to each his own!
Fladgate Tawny is real nice as is most noteable single malts.......I think coma was on the right track here: strong sticks should be paired with strong beverages and vice versa....
Users browsing this topic