gars44
22 years ago
I received a bundle of Vegas de Tabacalera Esteli from Cigarbid, and like the taste. Unfortuanately, they arrived very dry, and I have had them in my humi for two weeks waiting for the moisture content to rise. I just smoked my 2nd one, and they still have low moisture.

Would you return these or give them more time, if you bought them?
Am I waisting my time trying to re-hydrate them?

When I roll them in my fingers, I hear the sound of dry tobacco snapping. I have never received a dry bundle or box before this one.

Thanks
dz130
22 years ago
What is the humidity level of your humidor, and where do you live? You may need to bump up the moisture in it, and the room. Example, I live in Cleveland, and the humidity in my place has dropped into the upper forties. I had to fire up my humidifier in the house early this year. This has noticably helped my humidors maintain their levels better.

Doug
Steve*R
22 years ago
Slowly rehumidify, by placing them in a humidor at 70 RH. Allow them to rest for six to eight weeks. Then gradually move them to a humidor at 68 for an additional six to eight weeks. During the first rest, keep them far away from the humidification device, or the closest cigars will draw too much moisture.

These are relatively new cigars from Kiki Berger, so I'm surprised that they arrived dry.

Many years ago, I misplaced a full new box of Torano Nicaraguans. They rested unhumidified for over a year and became very dry, but undamaged. I placed them in a cooler at 68RH for a year and they were just fine.
Go Stars!
22 years ago
I heard Rush Limbaugh once recommend putting the 'gar into a plastic zip-loc bag w/a damp sponge for 2 weeks w/o touching it. Whataya think?


^ Steve, your idea sounds safe yet lengthy! OUCH! But hey, good stoges are worth the patience, eh...
Steve*R
22 years ago
I've heard that "quick" rehumidifaction can be done by placing the cigars in a zip lock that has several holes punched in it. Then placing that ziplock into another ziplock that has a piece of oasis foam containing 50/50.

I'm wary of trying to rehumidify quickly. The drier the cigars, the more uneven the absorption of moisture will be, as they are in proximity to the source of moisture.

If you don't mind risking the cigars, give it a try, but for the safety of quality cigars, rehumidify slowly.
arwings
22 years ago
You have to go slooooow! Reason is, the filler tends to absorb moisture faster than the wrapper. Therefore it will swell and split the wrapper. You may can get by with maduro since it tends to be thicker and can "stretch" more. Still risky. Any other wrapper is delicate enough to be ruined by the uneven absorption of moisture. Speaking from experience........"been there, done that." Natural enough to want to bring them up to smokability as quickly as possible, but you risk ruining them.........Just my thoughts...........
Go Stars!
22 years ago
Nice advice AR...^ I'll take that to heart...
Users browsing this topic