fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Hello, I'm a new cigar smoker and I have been doing a lot of reading, looking for a nice mild cigar. The first one I bought (before reading) was a Montecristo CDA and it made me sick, I think it was way to strong, after that I tried a Dimeola and really liked it. I am assuming the Dimeola is a mild cigar as I have nothing to measure it by. I think maybe Oldfashioned or Consuegra would be good budget choices.

With that said, are there better choices?
snowwolf777
22 years ago
Macanudo. The best quality mild cigar around. Often thought of as a "beginner" cigar, but some folks never progress past it because it is such a high quality smoke. It shouldn't make you sick by any means.
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
fudge

send me your address, and i'll send you a few to try. sort of a newbie gift.

RICKAMAVEN
HOTMAIL
COM

don't forget the @ and the .
fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Snowwolf: Thanks for the recommendation, the oldfashioned I believe are generally macanudo seconds, and they fit my budget for an everyday cigar a bit better 🙂

Rickamaven: Thank you that is very kind of you, I will send you my address 🙂
0patience
22 years ago
fudge,
you might also look at the Flor de Oliva Grand Cameroons. I thing they are in the mild/medium range and are generally a good cigar.

dz130
22 years ago
CAO Gold, Bucanero Crew, Mantequila, or whatever you might find interesting on the auction.

BUT BUY ONLY 5-PACKS AT FIRST.

Just my .02.

Doug
fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Just got a pack of Don Manuel Corona, will see what they taste like. For $4 the worst that can happen is I lose $4 🙂
Mr_Vance
22 years ago
Watch out for Rickamaven. I hear he puts Macanudo bands on Bad Frogs and passes them off to newbies. LMAO
docrks
22 years ago
Trilogy Cameroons are an awesome smoke and a very good buy -- there are usually Fivers available on this auction site..... As your palate develops and your experience level grows - Gurkha, CAO,AF will prepare you for your encounter with and thorough enjoyment of the Padron line --- when you're ready to make that step - post again - you'll get many suggestions and opinions.....and once you have that down --- your venture into the Dark Side is just moments away !!
fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Thank you all for the suggestions and advice, I'm looking at each and every one of them.

Mr_Vance I'm looking forward to the bad frogs, if I dip 'em in vanilla and inhale they should be extra good. I'll call you from the emergency room and let you know how they tasted 🙂

Secret_Agent_Man
22 years ago

This is 'just released' classified info...IT Limited Reserve, Buffalo or Bison are good, mild, and cheap...

You didnt hear it from me...

(__{SAM}_____]]]]~~
fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
About cutting, up to now I have cut the end off with a sharp knife, and am planning on acquiring a cutter. I am thinking about going with a guillotine, but would a plug cutter or a V do as good a job. I guess there is less chance of having one unwind than with a guillotine.
Does the draw change depending on how the cut is made?

Thanks SAM, I'll add them to my list and keep an eye out for them.
dz130
22 years ago
It all depends on what YOUR preference is. Get a cheap one of each type and see which one YOU like best. That's the way to go.
HarleyDave
22 years ago
Good to have a guillotine around. Kind of hard to use a V cutter or a bullet cutter on a torpedo.
0patience
22 years ago
I agree with what HarleyDave said.
I use a punch for cigars with a round end and a double blade guillotine cutter for torps.
I've tried the V cutters, but until I get more proficient with them, I won't use it on good cigars.
Slimboli
22 years ago
I'd rather 'lick a dirty ashtray' than smoke a Consuegra ...

... but that may just be me.
arwings
22 years ago
What HarleyDave said. I have all three but primarily use the punch and straight cut. I will occasionally use the v-cutter, but to me (just speaking of me) the v-cut, while nice to smoke, particularly on a large ring-guage cigar, tends to allow tar/oils to accumulate in the bottem portion of the "v". About half-way up the cigar this stuff can become very harsh and bitter. However, the only way to learn is to experiment and determine your own personal tastes.
gvlagos
22 years ago
I love the V cut...but then again it's pretty much the same as a punch cut.
-George
arwings
22 years ago
Sorry. Didn't mean to threadjack. Original post was about mild cigars. Have a tendency to go off on a tangent...........
arwings
22 years ago
Sorry. Didn't mean to threadjack. Original post was about mild cigars. Have a tendency to go off on a tangent...........
Users browsing this topic