KNOF
  • KNOF
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Since I did a search and didn't find any past threads I thought I would ask why are some of my wrappers craking as I smoke them? I've been told that they are dry or drying to fast as I smoke them. This is not happening to all my smokes and my humi's are staying around 68%. It doesn't seem to be affecting the smoke except for the astetics (spelling?) and looks. OK my BOTL, what is your response and how do I correct this?

Thanks,
Knof
BDS
  • BDS
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
KNOF, give me all your smoakes and I will see if I am having the same problem.
xrundog
22 years ago
Are you smoking outside?
KNOF
  • KNOF
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Ya right BDS, why don't you say that over the cubicle too? LOL! Or are you trying to imitate Slim? Don't take that the wrong way Slim, I was hoping to get some good info from this, but see this is a joke to some.

Knof
KNOF
  • KNOF
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Yes wrundog, I usually smoke outside.
KNOF
  • KNOF
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
OOOPS (FATFINGERS)
Sorry xrundog
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Wrappers cracking usually means that a cigar has been humidified too quickly or just over humidified. X
xrundog
22 years ago
If it's really cold and dry outside, some cigars will crack and unwravel when you put fire to them. Smoke value cigars in the winter!
gorob23
22 years ago
I had the same thing happen Saturday night on a La Gloria that I had just given a friend! The whole darn wrapper came off. All the other smokes that were kept in the Humidor were ok, but I think this one was left in a Small travel one too long. But sometimes I think you just get a bad one. All the others were ok 🙂
coma-one
22 years ago
I keep most of my cigars in low humidity conditions, and never have a wrapper problem. The only times I've experienced wrapper problems is if the cigars are allowed to fluctuate in RH. ie if you let your cigar's RH go up to , lets say 75%, then they are left out of the humi for couple of days, then back in the humi, and so on and so on. The cigars expand and shrink, affecting the wrapper. Ussually this happens when you get cigars from the mail and you don't let them rest in the humi for a while.

My .02

hope it helps
KNOF
  • KNOF
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
I see everyone feels that my cigars need a little more resting before I get to enjoy another one of similar brand. I will have to keep a better eye on which wrappers seem to crack when I smoke them. It makes sense to me that the wrappers might crack if they are resting in high humidity, then the heat shrinks the wrapper rapidly, causing it to crack. Hmmmm in time I will tell which route to take, and see if this is happening to other smokes as well. For now, thank you all that had an answer. And for BDS . . . I have a Bad Frog for you. LOL!

Knof
jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
This one could have many causes as mentioned, but I've smoked cigars in freezing weather in the morning with a cup of coffee on camping trips and never suffered a cracking and unraveling, then again, I've smoked on mild days and had cigars that completely unraveled and exploded. I think it depends on the quality of the wrapper, the curing and aging process as well as the quality of the construction.
cmuzz
22 years ago
the ones that r cracking i suppose would be your cameroon wrappers most likely for they are the thinist wrappers grown ..most common cause like others said humidity got to them quickly or humi is to humid
xrundog
22 years ago
Jerry, I was thinking of my Brother's sub-zero winter walks. He said all his Ashtons were coming apart. Seemed sensible it was the hot/cold differential. Perhaps that environ exacerbates an already too wet condition?
jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
xrun, yes I agree. That's cold! seems like humidity plays a major role as well. Man I'm glad it's only winter till 10am in Arizona!
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
My wife tells me that my wrapper has been cracked for years, LOL.

Barry
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Your wife is most perceptive,Grasshopper. X
Dizturbduh
22 years ago
LOL....how are ya?
Dizturbduh
22 years ago
LOL....how are ya?
tommyt99
22 years ago
Mine too sometimes have a blowout, and I find it is the difference in weather. From inside my controlled humidor, to outside air temp (OAT) in pilot talk. I also find that if I rupture the smoke unknowingly, even the slightest "bump" against something it happens.
Users browsing this topic