unejam
  • unejam
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
22 years ago
I've been keeping my cigars at 67-70% relative humidity, but I was wondering what could happen if the temperature is too cold. I'm keeping them at around 63 degrees b/c of the bad insulation in my condo.
smithbw
22 years ago
70 degrees is the recommended temp. I use heaters in the winter and air conditioners in the summer to maintain that temp. I have heard stories of cigars cracking because they were too cold...Don't know if that is true or not never took a chance.

Regards,


B
AVB
  • AVB
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
The extra bedroom I keep my cabinet humidor in is also about 62-63 degrees. I haven't noticed any problems with my cigars yet.
xrundog
22 years ago
I think your smokes are fine.
xibbumbero
22 years ago
How would you know Xrun,you been filching some of unejam's gars,LOL? X
arwings
22 years ago
Keeping cigars at lower temps than 68-70 degrees should not harm them. The only downside is if they are kept at too low a temp the "aging" process will be slowed in correlation to how low the temp is. When you "rest" cigars or give them "humi time" they have to rest longer at lower temps to achieve the mellowing/smoothing effect. Just my thoughts.......
unejam
  • unejam
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
22 years ago
Thanks for the info. - that puts me at ease knowing that my sticks are in good shape and why my cigars have been mysteriously disappearing.
billyjackson
22 years ago
unejam...

If you become worried or if a problem arises, try a coolerdor. I switched to one because my temp sways so much. It can be 80 in my apt due to the heater and my coolerdor is around 73...same if i let things drop to 60.
coma-one
22 years ago
unejam

don't worry, I think a lot of the "rules" of keeping cigars are overdone! I don't personally belive in 70-70. I feel that I am the one smoking them and I am the one to choose its quality of life. With that said, I would let them go any higher than 75 degrees or any lower tha 60.

my .02
Users browsing this topic