macman1212
22 years ago
Can cigars be stored safely in a large home humidor like the Verona or Big Daddy Jr. if they are left in the original cigar box (wooden of paper), or would they dry out or something? If you repley, please mention if you own a large humidor and which one you use. Thanks....Macman
SteveS
22 years ago
I own a big (300ct) humidor but've had it long enough I have no idea what it's called except "my big humi" ...

And yes ... they can
jazzman
22 years ago
I've got an Avallo and use it exclusively for box storage. Works great.
gorob23
22 years ago
What they said. Jazzman do you leave cello on in the boxes? I have been takng them off but maybe I don't have to huh?
arwings
22 years ago
I go ahead and take cello off the boxes prior to storage. Not that it's probably actually any problem, but I feel better psychologically, telling myself everything will "stabilize" quicker. I DO make sure to take off this newer box wrapping. Don't know what it's called but it's not cello. More "stretchy," like the kind of stuff you put over windows to insulate them in cold weather. Read somewhere on another board that condensation can form inside the cigar box if this stuff is left on. Don't know it thats true or not but wouldn't want to take the chance with some of my higher end cigars. Just my thoughts................
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
Here is an excerpt from "The Cigar Smokers FAQ." I'm not trying to change any minds, but it sounds reasonable and I figure these people know more than I do...

"Should I remove the cello wrapper for proper aging?

A good cigar will certainly age in the wrapper, just as a good wine will age in the bottle. Aging cigars, as wine involves very complex chemical processes. Oxidation, slow chemical changes, blending of essential oils are all involved. If you age a number of similar cigars, then removing the wrappers will allow different cigars to "marry", resulting in more consistence from one to another, but will not make the individual cigars any better or worse.

When aging cigars in your "daily" humidor, you're better off leaving them in their wrappers for another reason. Frequent opening and closing (exchanging the air) will result in faster evaporation/dissipation of the essential oils which give a good cigar its taste.

Many people keep a broad assortment of cigars in their humidors. With an assortment of different types, you are best off leaving the wrappers on. You don't want the spiciness from those Jamaicans mixing with the muskiness of the Hondurans. The Dominicans are mild - You don't want them to acquire any "power" from those Cubans!

Keeping the cello on also slows down the transfer of humidity. Your stored cigars remain stable - even with opening and closing the humidor frequently. You'll notice that the end of the cello is never sealed, it's just folded over. This allows the ambient humidity to slowly infiltrate the cigar. It also protects them from transfering problem like mold or bugs (shudder).

Now, if you're only keeping one or two similar brands in your humidor, you might consider unwrapping them - just so the flavors "marry". This will produce better consistency from cigar to cigar."

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/ 
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
^ Author: sketcha
HarleyDave
22 years ago
I bought the Verona about 6 months ago and other than removing the outer plastic as Arwings said(mainly so I can look at my cigars lol) I've stored them in the boxes and they've aged quite well with some of them starting to show plume.
penzt8
22 years ago
I've got a fairly large cabinet (it was manufactured to be a china cabinet but I rescued it from the life of boredom it was destined for). I sealed the doors and it works great. It's been in service for a few years now. I routinely store full boxes as well as loose cigars.

Sometimes I open the boxes and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I remove the cellophane and sometimes I don't. As far as I can tell it doesn't make a difference. As long as the humidity stays within the desired range everything works out just fine.

To me it's just a matter of convenience. I have a store display that was used for Lars Tetens. It's a big rectangular box that is divided to hold different size cigars. I think it has 10 holding areas. I keep this on the top shelf of the cabinet. When I open a new box I put the contents into the display area just so I can get to them easier.
penzt8
22 years ago
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/forum/forum.cfm?action=list&forumID=7&messageDisplay=0000000003533 

here's a link to an old post. At the time my cabinet had around 40 boxes of cigars.
macman1212
22 years ago
Yo HarleyDave. Thanks. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Cause thats the Big HumidorI'm thinkin of buying. Can You Email me at [email protected] to discuss this more. Macman1212
jmitre
22 years ago
Penzt8, I saw the picture of the cabinet humidor you have, that's awesome. Would you email me at Mhops224 at aol dot com? I'd like to get an idea of how you were able to convert a China cabinet into a humidor.

Thanks-Joel
Users browsing this topic