rjdc
  • rjdc
  • Aficionado Topic Starter
22 years ago
Other than smoking most of my wakeing hours, I like to smoke while enjoying a light meal or snack. One snack is fruitcake with a cup of espresso or strong coffee.

I know fruitcake gets a bad rap, but I don't know why.
I love em'. I actually buy them through the year.

I watched the Food Network the other night and there were people in Colorado that get together annualy, to launch, throw, destroy or degrade, my beloved bakegood.

Forget the fact that there are needy people they could've given them to. I'm not needy, but I would have taken them.

I have a friend, that knows of my fondness for the fruited cake, bet me $10 worth of cigars, if I would eat a gifted cake he had in his freezer for two years.

I won. He gave me some Black Pearls that I enjoyed with the cake.

There must be others of you that like the cake. If not, and you receive one, don't launch it, SEND IT TO ME! My kids love them too. The little one likes to pick out the candied fruit.

Give the fruitcake a chance. Have a piece with a drink and a full bodied gar. Turn a thoughtful gift from a joke to a pleasure.

Of course as always, enjoy your cigars with life. Happy hollidays to all of you and your familys.

Anthony

[email protected]
THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
I like fruitcake too. It takes one to know one. But, usually I don't eat while smoking, funks up the end of the cigar.
mrtelcom
22 years ago
You need to make a mecca to Claxton Ga.

After, you seek medical attention that is. LOL
Steve*R
22 years ago
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...rum soaked fruitcake.

Years ago, a family friend baked tons of fruitcakes before the holidays. As soon as they were removed from the oven and very hot, she'd inject them with dark rum until they were wet. Then she'd wrap them in foil and refrigerate them for a few weeks. You could get loaded on a couple of pieces.
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Steve,my aunt made fruitcake the same way. Man,that was the best fruitcake ever made. I miss her and her cooking as well. X
Secret_Agent_Man
22 years ago

I heard that fruitcake isn't allowed in luggage at the airport. I guess it's so dense that x-ray machines can't see through the cake.

(__{SAM}_____]]]]~~
KNOF
22 years ago
There's enough fruitcakes around here, so I will let you all enjoy them over the holiday season.

For me I will take a Torano 1916 for desert, LOL!

Knof

Charlie
22 years ago
Fruitcake? Oh my.............baaaaaaaaaaaaaarffff!

C
jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
The fruitcake is OK...it's that fake fruit that ruins it. IMHO of course. I prefer 30-day cakes.
AJ_CHICAGO
22 years ago
I'm sure there's bad fruit cake and good fruit cake. I haven't had the good.....yet, but your aunt's recipe sounds worth trying a piece or two.
poprocz
22 years ago
Fruitcake and chunk cheese will scan dense like plastic explosive in airport x-ray machines.
eleltea
22 years ago
Once in a great while I have found myself starving near to death where the only available calories were in the form of fruitcake and was able to choke down a few bites. Usually, however, offered a choice, I would rather set my hair on fire.
bigbike
22 years ago
I love it too. I soak mine in Ky Bourbon and man does it taste great. I grew up in a house where mom baked em every Sept. marinated em in bourbon till Dec and then the fun started. Don't really care if it is dark or light kind of fruit cake. Love em all the same.
redsquid
22 years ago
Definitely chuck the grocery store variety. The fruitcake made by the monks at Our Lady of Guadalupe monastary outside of Lafayette Oregon is the PAM 26 of the baked goods world. A one pound bar is not very big, but it goes a long way, you can slice it very thin. I've made a lot of converts with this cake.
Users browsing this topic