equake
22 years ago
Hi guys, I am new to the cigar world. I picked up the Blue Chip Combo No. I - Humidor & 25 Cigars
from CI. I am looking for some suggestions. So far I have liked the La Perla Habana, Cupido Criollo and the Toraño Exodus 1959. The Perdomo 2 was ok and I hated the Don Juan Criollo. Can someone make some suggestions on some sticks that I might like based on what I do like? Thanks for the help.
RknRmnd
22 years ago
Welcome to the exclusive world of CBID.
RJ
smelly4tay
22 years ago
Welcome, and from what you said you liked, I say CAO Criollo, CAO Black, Gurkha, AVO Signature, AVO Domaine, Davidoff Millenium, Many A. Fuente's. These are my go-to medium-full fave's. Padron and Sancho Panza are other faves. So is Torano all kinds.....and the list goes on and on.
smelly4tay
22 years ago
Oh yeah, remember to get 5 packs until you find one you like.
grond
22 years ago
You haven't lived til you've tried the Acid and Ambrosia line. Send me an email and I'll fire a couple out to you. My address is rpope123 at bellsouth dot net.

Welcome to the boards and Happy Holidays!
beta362
22 years ago
Since you are a new smoker, keep in mind that some smokes need to age a little bit. So buy 5-packs, and if the first one's not good (if it tastes "green"- inidicators may be if the draw is too tough and won't stay lit), then maybe keep a couple, age them for a couple months and try it again.
I started smoking cigars just a couple of years ago... If you're a cigarette smoker, then you'll already prefer more medium or full-bodied smokes to start out with. But if not, I'd suggest some more mild cigars to start.

The cigars that Smelly4tay mentioned are good ones to try, but kind of expensive.

Here're some of my suggestions:
Arturo Fuente 8-5-8: very affordable, medium bodied smoke. try any Fuente for that matter...they're all great cigars...a good place to start out as a reference point.
Carlos Torano Reserva: mild to medium bodied
Avo, Griffin's- good, high-quality mild cigars
Padron- definitely try these medium bodied cigars
Montecristo- try their regular line, they're good medium smokes

Try lots of stuff..and remember what you like and dislike about each cigar. Then talk to people and go from there.
equake
22 years ago
Wow, thanks for all the great replies! This forum has a lot of very nice members. I will definitely try all that I can on the suggestions.
JonR
22 years ago
Yo equake: Welcome aboard. Since you seem to like criollos you must try CAO criollos, they cost alittle more but are well worth the extra money. JonR
Lowman
22 years ago
Welcome aboard !!

Low
emgjet
22 years ago
equake: Welcome, as you smoke more cigars, you will notice that your taste will change. PLenty of great smokes out there, try some of the suggestions by some senior members and enjoy one of life's great pleasures.
Oh, you will need a bigger humidor.

Ed
KNOF
22 years ago
Welcome equake! Have a happy holiday and finding CBid is the best present you could ask for!!!

Knof
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Welcome,Do you live in central CA? X
equake
22 years ago
No, I live in NJ
HarleyDave
22 years ago
NJ? Where in NJ, or should I say what exit? 😉

A few of us NJ guys get together fairly regularly. Usually in the Whippany area.
Homebrew
22 years ago
Oh Hell Equake,
You live close to several of the finest BOTL, to grace this board with their presence. I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms and Humidors, no matter who you visit with.
Welcome to the boards.
As far as my recomendations. Anything by Bucanero, A.Fuentes, Padron, CAO, Torano, and I also love Gurkha, don't remember which ones, but all I have tried are good, some are just better than others, as far as my flavor profile is concerned. Check out the Newbie Trade Thread, on the Trades board. You can get a great selection of smokes, from some of the Greatest BOTL, on this thread. This can help you try a wide variety of quality smokes, some very well aged, without having to buy alot of dogrockets you will never smoke.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Users browsing this topic