fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
The last three cigars I have smoked have been bitter, and tonights was unbearable.
I have checked my hygrometer and it seems the 70 it has been showing was actually 62. Two of the bitter ones were received from someone else, including the one tonight which was really bad. I never had a problem with bitterness until I put the ones I received in the humi, but I am not implying its related.

I was thinking that bitterness mainly came from over humidification, so now I am stumped 🙂

Zed
CWFoster
22 years ago
I think I just read somewhere in the last day or two that if cigars get too dry it tend to weaken the flavor, but I don't remember anything about bitterness.
fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Actually it was 67 not 62, forgot its supposed to be 75 from the damp salt and not 70.
DrMaddVibe
22 years ago
Only time I've tasted bitterness was from a young cigar. Those "fresh rolled" ones will burn your throat with an ammonia aftertaste!
Unplugged
22 years ago
You mentioned damp salt? Is this what you're using to ensure proper humidity levels or just to check your hygro?

One cheap friend of mine decided to use salt to keep his humidity right and all of his cigars developed a very bitter taste, sort of tasted like seawater seasoning. NASTY. After he removed the salt the seawater taste disappeared. Other than that, I've never had cigars taste bitter based on humidification.
Maybe something funky in the box?

Ben
fudge
  • fudge
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
AragornUnplugged, just used salt to calibrate the hygro 🙂

All the ones I smoked have a good bit of age on them, so I don't think its amonia. The one I smoked last night was extremely bitter, perhaps thats the one that is tainting the rest. I received it last week and had never had bitterness before then.

Users browsing this topic