eleltea
  • eleltea
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
I made up my mind a while ago that on New Year's day I was going to smoke that Shark that's been suspended in my humi for a couple years now.

But just now, after my oatmeal, egg fried in extra virgin, Ezekial toast with Smart Balance and Hero Orange Bitter preserves and a cuppa Starbucks breakfast blend, it suddenly hit me . . .

What is going to be my last cigar of 2003? Hey, that's important, too! Kinda sets the tone, ya know?

After so many of you sang the praises of the MX2, I decided to do that one, then realized it is in my locker at the local cigar shop. Will I drive over and pick it up or what? Feelin kinda lazy. Worked until 2 a.m. this morning. Will get back to you on this. I know you can't wait. ;o)

Let's all share what we decided for our big smoke today and tomorrow and report later whether it as good an end and a beginning as we had hoped.

Happy New Year, you herd o' herfers!
Slimboli
22 years ago
Hey eleltea, I didn't know you knew FIFO ...

In computer programming, FIFO (first-in, first-out) is an approach to handling program work requests from queues or stacks so that the oldest request is handled next.

LIFO (last-in, first-out) is an approach in which the most recent request is handled next and the oldest request doesn't get handled until it is the only remaining request on the queue (or in the stack).

Although LIFO seems "unfair," it may be more efficient. A stack that is handled using LIFO is sometimes referred to as a push-down or push-down pop-up stack or list.

I guess that principle works with cigars too ...
eleltea
  • eleltea
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Hey, Slim. It's also airlines terminology, except it is "last in, first out." There is a tariff rule called the stopover rule. Many of the best domestic fares don't allow the time between flights at a connecting city to be longer than 4 hours. But if you take the last flight of the day into your connecting city and then take the first flight out (on to your destination) the next morning, it does not count as a stopover for fare calc purposes.

By the way, 'fifo' is very similar to another airlines term: 'flifo'. Flifo is short for flight information (arrival time, departure time, gate and terminal, etc.)
CWFoster
22 years ago
I'm thinking I'll end the old year with an ISOM Monte#1 and begin the New Year with an Estrella the gorob23 sent me. Or maybe an Indios Puros from the same source.

P.S. Thanks again Rob! the indios were better than the fiver of Indian Tabac Ltd Reserves I bought! The IT's weren't bad, but not what I'd hoped.
gorob23
22 years ago
CW have you tried the IT Maduro Gorillia's???
gorob23
22 years ago
and ps that estrella a little cheapie but like I said I like them good at the beach or whenever your not really siting down solving the worlds problems. 🙂
JonR
22 years ago
Yo Slim & LT: How about LIFTMDA. When I was a young boy there was always a girl who enjoyed more than one boy at a time ( if you get my drift ), that's when I first heard of " LIFTMDA " ( Last In First To Make Doctor Appointment ). JonR
JonR
22 years ago
OBTW this year wasn't anything special so I'll end it with one of my every day cigars, most likely a Padron Maduro Churchill. I'll shall start the NewYear with a Anejo Shark looking forward to a better year. JonR
HarleyDave
22 years ago
Slim, while LIFO and FIFO are used in the computer field they were first coined as terms used to value inventory.

My Christmas week smokes have all been gifts. Xmas eve was a BTL, my gift to me. Xmas day was an Avo 22 gifted to me by my good friend Lowman(no Greg, I can't wait to smoke anything). The day after was a well aged and tasty IT from Phil(Qball). Last night was a Punch Habana from the esteemed DocRKS. I'm currently smoking a DC Max gifted to me by BigJeff and tonight to celebrate the new year will be my first Davidoff Millemium gifted to me by my girlfriend.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found this place. To everyone here, I wish you all the very best in the new year; be safe and have fun.
beta362
22 years ago
Hmmm...this is gonna take some thought. I'm normally a guy who hoards his best smokes, plans on smoking them some very-special day, but never does.

I was just gonna celebrate tonight with somethin decent...maybe a Hemingway classic...

But now, considering the fact that my girlfriend and I just broke up last night, I feel the need to say g'bye to 2003 and welcome 2004 with a freakin' bang!!
I'm now thinking about smoking my first Anejo (a #46), or my first Opus X (either a #4, a Reserva D' Chateau, or a Super Beli).
or maybe, just maybe, I might smoke the Hemi. UTS maduro.

I'll let ya'll know what I decided and how I liked it.
jdobson
22 years ago
I was going to finally smoke a Gurkha Legend that has been in my humi for a few months now, but my allergies have kicked in something awful and can't taste anything 😞 I probably won't even smoke anything. Or maybe I will use the lack of tastebuds to smoke up one of those Montague#2's that I picked up a while back. Blah.
eleltea
  • eleltea
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Ok, so I went to my local and pulled out my one and only MX2. Then my eye lit on an unopened 5pack of Cohiba IV my bro brought back from Amsterdam this summer. I brought them both home and after dinner fired up the Cohiba. The way I figure it, I still got 4 of those left. Mmmmmmm. That Habano aroma. Draw a little tighter than I like, but Cubans are noted for that until they dry out a bit, and my local keeps his humidity on the high side. Happy New Year, you people!
Slimboli
22 years ago
eleltea --- smoke that MX2 today! It will be a great way to start the New Year!

Besides, you've got two more of the 'Beli' size on their way to you ... 😉 ... and they are MONSTERS!
eleltea
  • eleltea
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Charlie
22 years ago
FIFO/LIFO are warehousing/inventory principals and will work on just about anything!

Charlie
puskarich
22 years ago
For high priced items, you can also use Specific Identification.
CWFoster
22 years ago
GOROB23- I haven't tried any IT's except the Ltd. Res. yet. They were OK, just not exactly what I was expecting. I've been smoking cigars for a couple of years now, but am just starting to get seriously into it. There's much I haven't tried that I'm curious about, and I'm still trying to get the definitions of what people say to describe what I like and dislike. I've always thought that I liked mild cigars, but I find that many of my favorites are described in the descriptions as medium to full flavor. I loved the Puros, and just tried the Estrella today, and I don't think I'll try to find anymore of those, but it was worth trying 🙂 (Thanks again!) I'm going to try to go to some of my local shops and try to find some onesys and twosys to try, and then I can bid on fivers and boxes on here with a bit more of an idea of what I like. So far, I can tell you I haven't met a monte I didn't like (Dominican or ISOM) although I have't tried any of the fancy ones, just the yellow box varieties. I like Bolivars, Artro fuentes, Ashtons, Quintaros, H.Upmanns, Indios Puros, and Pirates gold isn't bad, and I have some Habana Gold Churchills in my humi 🙂 so if you can make any suggestions based upon that info, I'd be quite interested in hearing what you would suggest. Thank you all, and have a happy New Year!
Users browsing this topic