passion268
22 years ago
ok guys... I did a search and couldn't find an answer to this question although there is plenty of beetle talk... i took a ryj isom on a trip today... the humidor it has been in has been about 65 degrees for about a month now... anyway, a few hours into the trip, I pulled the ryj out of the travel humidor (it was the only cigar I put in it) and found a beetle crawling on the foot. There were no holes in the wrapper... my question is would you still smoke the cigar? What about if you did find a pin hole in it? what would the effects of the beetle be on a cigar?
I'd hate to have to throw it out.

thanks,

john
SwimNaked
22 years ago
Smoke it? Heck yeah, you'd roast the little bugger right quick... I see no problem at all. Biggest issue is why it's there in the first place. And no holes? Might not have been a tobacco beetle in the first place...
passion268
22 years ago
my only thought on the no hole thing was that maybe it just bored out straight onto the foot of the cigar and I didn't see the hole because it wasn't in the wrapper.. So what are the problems they cause exactly?
ajeroth
22 years ago
Never had one with a beetle yet. Cross my Fingers... From what I've read many people just smoke them anyway. If you hear kind of a snap or pop while smoking it. Thats the beetle exploding from the heat. I would check out your humidor with a fine tooth comb though. If you find more signs there's always the freeze method.

ajeroth
ttowle
22 years ago
been plagued by beetles twice....both times from ISOM cigars given to me by my flying pals......I still like to get them but they all spend at least a few days in my deep freeze before they go in the humi.....if the cigar will still draw....smoke the beetle!!
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
That's how you get that "roated meat" flavor tha CA is always talking about! LOL

I deep freeze all cigars that come into the house these days, no point in taking chances.

Barry
jgjam
22 years ago
LOL at Barry!

John
Users browsing this topic