sketcha
  • sketcha
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
I'm headed to Mazatlan in a few weeks and would like to bring some ISOMs back with me.

Can anyone offer any advice on the laws and/or logistics involved?

I've read that you can bring back $100 worth from Cuba. Is it the same for Mexico? Would a box pass for $100 worth?

Thanks
sketcha
  • sketcha
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
O.K., I answered at least 1 of my own questions by reading the latest U.S. Customs rules. The $100 exemption only applies an cigars bought in Cuba.

Still, any advice?
sketcha
  • sketcha
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Thanks HockeyDad. I had just read that page prior to your post.

Damn!
smelly4tay
22 years ago
thanks Hockey! very useful
beta362
22 years ago
sketcha...i just read that too. just take the bands off the ISOM's and keep them (the bands) in a baggie or something. then, even if they do see the ISOM's, say they're Mexicano cigars! then put the bands back on when you get home.

i brought a bunch in from Paris a few years back...when the guy at Customs in Memphis went through my backpack, he knew that i had a box of 'gars (b/c it was inside a plastic bag), he could tell. but he just kinda smiled and put it back in my bag for me.

so yeah...just take the bands off, they can't prove where they're from.
sketcha
  • sketcha
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Thanks beta. I'd heard that method. That WAS my plan. I guess I was curious what people thought of the customs agents. Sounds like you answered that too.
beta362
22 years ago
I guess all Customs agents might be different. But remember, this is Memphis (gotta love Southern hospitality!). Also, i was just 18, and maybe he didn't want to bust a kid.
But from what i've heard from everyone else, the band-off method is the safest bet. Also, of course, make sure you've got them somewhere safe, in a travel humidor perhaps.
fudge
22 years ago
And if it was me I wouldn't carry the bands on me, stick em in an envelope and mail 'em back or something. But then I'm paranoid 🙂
beta362
22 years ago
LMAO...but yeah, keep them somewhere away from the 'gars
sketcha
  • sketcha
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Hey, fudge! That's a good idea!
CWFoster
22 years ago
Thats what some of the Canuck ISOM sellers do, is send the gars in an unmarked box, and mail the bands in a separate envelope. Never tried that cuz of what they charge.
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
never buy cuban cigars in mexico................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
sketcha
  • sketcha
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Can you qualify that, RICK? Fubar gave me some good places to check out in Mazatlan. I also plan to take some box label notes with me to check out the sitch.
CWFoster
22 years ago
I know that I bought some Punch cigars there once, and that was what had me thinking ISOMs were overrated for years.
donutboy2000
22 years ago
If you do not buy at a LCDH, chances are good they will be counterfeit.
jdobson
22 years ago
Lots of counterfeits in Mexico and the real ones are way over-priced to gouge the Americanos. That's my opinion, anyway. Of course, I think most Cubans are way over-rated as well.
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
sketcha

the only one i would trust with cuban cigar information re mexico would be slimboli.

i have bought some cuban cigars in mexico a long time ago. they were monte #4's and i think the were cubans, because they were so old they were turning green.

if you want to buy cigars from an isom

RICKAMAVEN@
HOTMAIL.
COM
mrtelcom
22 years ago
Street vendors are very common in Mexico. I heard a study once, that 70% of food street vendors are using dog meat. I am sure that tobacco is worse.
Users browsing this topic