patman
  • patman
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Can anyone please describe this smoke to me? I just picked up a few on c-bid and liked the description of the cigar. Anyone have any experience with these?

Steve*R
22 years ago
I'm not sure what the CBid copy reads, but these are made by Henry Kiki Berger at Tabacalera Esteli. Kiki makes a ton of premium brands and many private labels. I'd have to rate the JL Salazar as the best cigar he's made, if you want some power. Bear in mind Kiki is the maker of 5 Vegas, Vegas de Tabacalera Esteli, El Mejor, Savinelli Nicaraguan, Adolphus, Cupido, Don Kiki, and Cuban Crafters. The JL Salazar is a full bodied, dense cigar. It's packed with flavor, but alot of the promo copy I've seen describing the cigar sounds like hyperbole.

Supposedly all the tobacco is three year old Cuban seed and has been through four separate fermentations. "The filler is sun-grown Cuban Habano from Tabacalera Esteli. Binder is H-2000 and the wrapper, Ecuador Habano."

Smoke one, and see what you think. I bought two boxes after smoking a couple of singles. I've put them down for at least a year. They were introduced at RTDA 2003 and irrespective of the "3-years aging" they were still quite damp and unsettled. They will be a great cigar; a notch in power up from Kiki's other new cigar, the Cuban Crafters.

patman
  • patman
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
That's what I call a review... Thanks man!

I picked up a 5 pack the other day and thought they loked nice so I lowbid on a box for $37 and actually won. I didn't really expect to though. I dont think I have room in my humidor for them to be honest. What a problem to have right...

Letting them rest for a year 'eh. I picked up a bunch of the Pinars and am doing the same (Minimum of a year)

thanks for the input.

Steve*R
22 years ago
patman: Before you torch one, gently squeeze the middle to measure the RH. If it rebounds very slowly you'll know that it's too wet to smoke. You want firmness. Clip the cap and let it sit out at ambient temperature for a day or two, then test the draw. If the draw is slightly firm, but not tight, give it a go.
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Stevo,I couldn't have said it better. I've got mine napping as well. X
patman
  • patman
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Yea I have found that cigars straight from the shop or a shop humidor are usually a little too damp or too dry... Usually to damp though. Its best to let them sit in a healthy humidor and "relax" for at least a month before I smoke them. Do you find this to be true as well?
GTofMurphy
22 years ago
It is a pretty good smoke with an "edge" that I hope will mellow after a few months. It reminds me of the Camacho in regards to strength.

For the price, a "Best Buy"

GT
Steve*R
22 years ago
re: letting cigars rest

As a general rule, cigars are boxed at an RH too high to smoke. Manufacturers know that some boxes may sit for extended periods before they're opened and smoked. In the case of new product like JL Salazar, that have just come onto the market, you can almost shake the moisture out. The contrary may be true of brands like Cupido "Vintage" which became vintage after sitting in a warehouse waiting for a buyer. They are ready to smoke within a couple of days of arriving from the carrier. They are well aged, stabilized, and ready. An occasional indicator is the tightness/looseness of the cigar's band. As they age, cigars typically shrink and become more firm. The band loosens. Loose bands are often an indicator that the cigar is ready to fire up.
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
I also got a box of these. They are too damp as stated. But the couple I have smoked burned o.k.. I believe with about 6 months rest these will be an excellent cigar. They have the taste that will only get better with time. I hope this cigar makes it.
GTofMurphy
22 years ago
I wish there was a standard 6 month to a year resting period once cigars are rolled and before shipping out. Many mfgs use 3-5 year aged leaf but ship out right after they roll them.
GT

Question: What companies and/or line age thier rolled product before shipping?


GT
Users browsing this topic