GTofMurphy
22 years ago
On cigars with 50+ ring size it best to use a punch or regular dual blade cutter or does it matter?
GT
RDC
  • RDC
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
I sometimes punch twice, kinda side by side, not quite a figure 8. The way I do it makes more of an oval.

I only have one cutter and I can't always get the larger rings gauges in their.
dbguru
22 years ago
Less than 50 - Cut

50 Punch or Cut

Greater than 50 Punch unless we have a toro or perfecto shape
tailgater
22 years ago
Gb
  • Gb
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
Personal preference
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Depends on the cigar. If it has a firm draw,I cut. If the cigar tends to have a loose draw,I punch. X
drnos
22 years ago
What x said. I am very particular about the draw; I have an idea of just how much resistance should be in the cigar. So I punch first. If it draws too tight, then I cut a little. Then a little more, etc. You can always cut more, you cannot cut less.
arwings
22 years ago
Used to use a v-cut but lately I've punched all of mine except for very small ring guages (and of course torps, belis, etc.). Subjectively, they appear to have less bitterness, to me, as you smoke them down if they're punched, rather than a "v" or straight cut. Still, it's just a matter of personal preference..........
sketcha
22 years ago
grond
22 years ago
V-cut up and down and then V-cut side to side (you end up with an X cut). The V-cutter has proven the best type of cut for me on both small and large ring gauges.
SteveS
22 years ago
V-cut ... I used a punch for a lot of years, but after Slim gifted me with a nice V-cutter, I've come to prefer that method ...
KNOF
22 years ago
I agree with SteveS. He showed me his gifted V-Cutter and I really enjoyed the draw it allowed me sooooo
. . . I went out and bought the same V-Cutter and I got it in the mail last night. I had to use it and I love it!!!

V-Cutter all the way for larger gauges from now on.

Knof
Users browsing this topic