eleltea
  • eleltea
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Some cigars that I like have that peppery sensation on the tongue, especially when you first fire them up. I got so many different sticks in my humi, and my memory is so bad, and I have never kept a list of dates, tastes, etc., like you anal types (yes, you know who you are! lol), so I am requesting you post your favorite peppery cigars here. Maybe I have one already, and maybe you will remind me to order some. Thanks!
Cavallo
22 years ago
YES! a BOT*P!* i loooooooove peppery sticks and hope you find many in your humi. if you don't find these there, search the world over for them (as i'm doing for the first two! -- no luck yet, though).

i've not been able to find this one, but my wife gave me a five-stick sampler of various smokes for the holidays:

SUAREZ GR Royal Corona

oh maaaaaan, but this was a peppery smoke! looks all innocent with its golden CTSH wrapper, but it had my eyes watering at the last third.

TABACALERA CUBANA

i've written to the makers, but i've not heard back. this is my "holy grail" of cigars -- i'll look the world over to find this again! the TC looks innocent and sweet, but it has a mouth-watering pepperiness to it that sneaks up slowly and leaves you wanting more long after you've bandaged your blistered nub-tweaking fingers.

QUOROM

an all-nicaraguan smoke at a price that won't knock you out (and a taste that will), the quorum line has a nice continuum of pepper starting out mild and getting stronger as you go -- but it never overwhelms. at $1-2 per stick (bundles low as $19 for coronas), i've gotta recommend this one as an everyday smoke.

JOYA DE NICARAGUA ANTANO 1970

on the high end again, this one has a combo of pepper and spice that seems to delight every herfer who tries this one. reviews on strength are mixed, but it's generally a good idea to savor this one after a nice big dinner.

enjoy!
antonio
eleltea
  • eleltea
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Great response, Antonio. Send me an email - myhandle at yahoo. The makers of Tabacalera Cubanas may be slow in answering your correspondence:

Altadis Wins $900,000 From Counterfeiters

Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003

By David Savona

Selling Cuban cigar replicas turned out to be an expensive mistake for a south Florida family. On Thursday, Altadis U.S.A. announced that it had won a $900,000 judgment against Pedro Gomez and his sons Edel and Joel. The Gomez family was found guilty of violating Altadis trademarks by selling "Cuban replica" Montecristo, H. Upmann and Romeo y Julieta cigars.

The Gomezes ran Tabacalera Cubana Corp., which Altadis described as a cigar manufacturer, and Tabacalera Popular Cubana Inc., a cigar retailer. Both companies are based in Miami. Federal Judge Ungaro-Benages ruled that the Gomezes were personally liable for the damages.

The judgment was rendered on November 26.

Altadis claimed this was an important case. "Any unauthorized use of Altadis U.S.A.'s trademarks is illegal. Labeling the cigars 'Habana' or calling them 'Cuban replicas' does not make them legal," the company wrote in a statement.

Altadis U.S.A. has aggressively pursued companies that violate its vast portfolio of cigar brand trademarks, among them the U.S. rights to many Cuban cigar brands. The company is the American subsidiary of Altadis S.A., the world’s largest producer of cigars.

bassdude
22 years ago
I love the peppery smoke also. Here are a few that I like.

IT Fire - liked it enough I bought 2 boxes.

Cuban Heirloom - wow

Counterfeit Cuban - I gave everyone away and finally smoked one. What a surprise tons of smoke and peppery.

ISOM by Perdomo - not bad at all.

I know there are more but suffer from CRS.

I have never tried the ones Cavallo listed except the JDN but I did not find it peppery.
Cavallo
22 years ago
wellllll now. that would explain why no reply in months! thanks for that, eleltea!

yeah, the JDNa70 i had most recently was NOTHING like the first one i had. the first had a balance of spice AND pepper to it; the last one i had (last night) was much, much less spicy and much more on the sweet-spicy side. so i guess scratch that one off the list unless you nab one of the older ones?

antonio
Cavallo
22 years ago
geez... speaking of CRS...

sorry for the double, but i wanted to comment on the IT Fire. i received a few in a (great) trade and tried out what was, i think, a robusto. might have been a toro. the rest are in bed right now. anyway, this one jumped RIGHT up to the top part of my "loved it" list. not overwhelmingly spicy, but it does deliver loads of flavor (and smoke) and enough spice to definitely keep my interest. good call!

i haven't tried the others you mentioned, but i'll be on the look out now.

antonio
redsquid
22 years ago
It depends on what you mean by 'pepper'. Like black pepper, or like hot cinnamon/chile peppar. I like the first, but seems to be hit and miss in the same cigar whether I'll get it. I'm not much for the latter, and have found it distinctly in Flor de Copan (Dom), and Cacique Miami.
tdbama01
22 years ago
My vote goes to the La Flor Dominicana Ligero line.
Users browsing this topic