pcreager
22 years ago
Probably a question asked a hundred times in the past, but before I started with cigars....leave the plastic wrappers on or take off so they can breathe? Does taking them off with a mixed bunch cause "crossover" or whatever of flavors? ( not withstanding the obvious if one through in one of the "herb" flavored/scented like Nautrals or Acid)

Thanks!
cmuzz
22 years ago
the cellofane basically protects the cigar wrapper from cracking or getting harmed......if you want to age them well in your humi take the cellofane off
al'Thor
22 years ago
every time i try to take the wrapper off, the filler and binder fall apart.

Heres a HUGE help that will give you more info than you could ever want:

see that "search" box in the top right corner? type in "cello" and see what you find (it works for a lot of other stuff too)

or just listen to cmuzz, because he basicall just summed up about 10,000 words of discussion on this topic...

welcome aboard...
al'Thor
22 years ago
oh, also, if you're a newbie - you should check out the newbie trades on the trades boards - lots of fun!
Thom
22 years ago
I love this question.

The answer is....









yes.
arwings
22 years ago
There is NO answer..........
pcreager
22 years ago
Thanks for the info.....i think.

Oh yeah...I guess I didn't mean wrapper...I meant Cellophone.
CWFoster
22 years ago
puskarich
22 years ago
Leave them on.
gorob23
22 years ago
I still have trouble lighting them with the cello on 😞
bassdude
22 years ago
if you trade a lot or plan on it leave em on.

See the other hundred posts, ala search like the LODIT said.
grond
22 years ago
pcreager wrote,
"Does taking them off with a mixed bunch cause "crossover" or whatever of flavors? ( not withstanding the obvious if one through in one of the "herb" flavored/scented like Nautrals or Acid)"

First off, cellophane on will not stop permeation of scents/flavorings from cigars as strong as Acids, Ambrosias or Naturals. Cellophane is porous and air gets through the cello wrapper.

Second, I've never had a problem of flavour crossover between standard, non-scented cigars (although I do keep my ISOM's in a different humidor for greedy reasons).

I'm not sure whether aging is assisted by the sticks being naked or not. I've got lots of maduro sticks in my humidor which are loaded with plume and some have wrappers on and some don't. I personally like the wrapper off but the wrapper is not going to inhibit or assist the proper aging of a cigar. As stated, cellophane has an insulating effect on the cigar... but if you're careful with your sticks (like I am), you'll likely have no problem, either way.

Cheers,

grond
contendertotes
22 years ago
hey grond....... you've did this before huh?
eleltea
22 years ago
I was hoping someone would finally get around to asking this question.
sketcha
22 years ago
I see that CW already posted that link. Good work!
AJ_CHICAGO
22 years ago
LMAO @ eleltea's facetiousness! Love it! Pcreager, you're a little off on the number of times asked, I think. If they are just going to "rest" awhile and not be disturbed much...your choice. If you're going to play with them alot (rearrange, count, switch humis, etc. like newbies are inclined to do), leave the cello on. Some are more delicate (or less well made) than others and the wrapper may come unglued. 'Course, that only happens with the ones that didn't come with cello. Can the cello act as a beetle retardant? Damn retarded beetles! Yes, and fungus retardant, too. Do they age better/quicker "nude"? Yes, they swell better in a too-humid humidor, too! That, too, can cause a wrapper to come undone. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.....so keep 50% in in 50% out. Then switch.
eleltea
22 years ago
My favorite cigars that I buy by the box I store in the nude in an all-cedar box/cabinet. I love the smell of a cigar well-aged in spanish cedar and I don't want anything, however porous, to come betwen the cedar and the tobacco. Some of my favorite cigars, such as Brazilia and LFD 2M #4 come in cardboard boxes, so I take them out, disrobe them, and put them in a cedar cigar box. Most of the singles or 5-packs I buy go into the humi the way I got them. That's the way I do it.

BTW, The GOL! I had tonight was so good I almost got depressed when it was gone. Had it with a few sips of the Lemoncello I keep in the freezer, viscous and delicious. I still have time for another, after dinner.
pcreager
22 years ago
OK, AJ_CHicago.Very helplful info....but now I'm paranoid.....you got a "Spy cam" in my den? How did you know I have been admiring, shuffling, rearranging, moving, and for all practical purposes playing with my cigars? (That includes the part about switching them to different humidors. I only have two and I want my stogies to experience both)

I guess I better leave the cello on for awhile..I did notice a few of my favorites looking a little "worn".
Users browsing this topic