calavera
21 years ago
I am looking for an Alvey fishing rod. If one of you fishermen has one to trade, I have several good sticks to trade. In general these are not terribly expensive rods, so this could be a quick, sweet deal.

I have a PAM 26, an Opus X No 5, VSG's, ISOMs (including the RyJ EL robusto and the HdM EL pyramid), a Davidoff Millenium PC and many others.

If no one has an Alvey rod to trade, but would like to help a brother out, maybe we could work a different deal. The baby has tapped out my fun fund, but I know where the Alvey rod I want is available for 43.00. We could maybe work a deal where you buy the rod and I send sticks.

I also have pipe tobacco and pipes that I might be willing to trade.

birdhunter73 at hotmail dot com


J
countryboy83
21 years ago
There's a dude on here that likes bass.

Country
John hay Cigars
21 years ago
Can't help you with the alvey but you have smokes that I have only heard of and been wanting to try. I have a lot of other fishing gear. I used to tournement fish for bass. Can you use any Shimano reels or rods? I have a calcutta that is barely used. It was around $150 new.
John hay Cigars
21 years ago
As a matter of fact, as much as I get to fish any more I may as well email you my inventory. I have better luck finding time for a smoke than to take the boat out.
calavera
21 years ago
I really need that Alvey rod because it is one of the few set up for the Alvey reel that I got for xmas.

Email me yor inventory though, I might as well take a look.

J
andytv
21 years ago
Alvey rods are specifically designed for Alvey reels; the whole unit being designed for surfcasting.

If you can picture a giant spinning reel spool, oriented like a fly reel, then you can picture an Alvey. To cast, you relase a lock and rotate the whole thing 90 degrees, the line FLYS off the big stationary spool. Then you put it back for cranking.

Calavera; Send me the model # of the rod requested and your mailing address. I'll look into helping you out for a few of those super premiums.

andyt at msicorporation dot com





John hay Cigars
21 years ago
Ooohhhh, your deling with ocean equipment??? That could be why I never heard of that one. I thought I knew them all but like I said, I have been out of touch for the last couple of years.
calavera
21 years ago
Andy: email sent.
John Hay: email sent.

Yes, Alveys are made in Australia for ocean fishing. People have been asking me why I am going to use ocean equipment in North Dakota.

The reason is that I fish from the shore on some big lakes and reservoirs where I need to be able to really launch my bait. An Alvey was used to set a record 671 foot cast using a two ounce weight.

Plus, I fish for big pike and big carp, two species that you can never have too much rod or line for.
Before the Alvey, I used a couple of Penn 209's with 330 yards of 17 pound test on some stout seven foot rods.

J
John hay Cigars
21 years ago
Sounds like your doing some specialized fishing. But also, you know what you want and what your doing and how to get there. That is half the battle. That is why I spent the money on the Calcutta, it is made to cast straight into the wind .......and it works. Nothing like a bait caster that won't "bird's nest " on ya.
bassdude
21 years ago
never heard of Alvey. I am an Abu Garcia man. Rods I mix and match - Wizard, Berkley, Falcon.
andytv
21 years ago
Starting fishing gear thread on PIC post for those interested.
wilberdew
21 years ago
ever try calcutta reels the 700 series on st croix hand crafted is my favrite for site casting and jigging.I have over 40 big rigs this is the best.small rods G Lumis is the man.
calavera
21 years ago
When I graduated from college in 2000, my wife gave me a calcutta fishing reel. It is the 1998 Special Stogie Edition Calcutta 250. It came in a humidor looking box, and is anodized a mottled brown color that is meant to imitate a tobacco leaf. It is a beautiful real that is light and incredibly smooth. I have never even fished with it because I do not want to take a chance of anything happening to it.

I will try to take a picture and post it soon.

J
MnRon
21 years ago
John Hay Cigars hey id love for you to send me your inventory of fishing gear Id like to take a look. Maybe we can work a trade or two out. Thanks Ron.

Cspot987 At Aol dot com
andytv
21 years ago
Calavera

Enjoy your rod.

If you catch anything nice, post a pic for us here.
John hay Cigars
21 years ago
MnRon, I will try to get out to the shed tonight or tomorrow and get back to you. I'm getting ready to move so this is perfect timing.
calavera
21 years ago
Andy;

check your email.

J
wilberdew
21 years ago
If you want any more Penn reels let me know I have a bunch, anything from 309 to 6/0 and damn neer everything in between.
calavera
21 years ago
wilberdew;

What were you thinking in regards to those Penn reels?

I might be interested.

Shoot me an email.

Address above.

J
wilberdew
21 years ago
Users browsing this topic