TrannyMk
21 years ago

This picture is of my 1970 Mustang back in 1977. I bought it during my senior year in high school in 1977. I scanned this pic from a photo taken back then.

It had a 351 Cleveland motor and C6 transmission. It had the rear luvers on the back window from the factory. It had the shaker scoop with real ram air from the factory, racing style flip release gas cap & hood releases from the factory. The rear seat could be hidden and the car turned into a 2 seater. And it was clean looking when you did that. You really couldnt tell there was a back seat.

Back in those days cars like this werent lowered like they are now. This was set up for drag racing, and that was the style then.

I totaled out this car and will always regret it. It was fun to drive. If I can find it I'll post the totaled out picture. I'm lucky to be alive!
353933.jpg

Click to View Image128 View(s)

TrannyMk
mydsooner
21 years ago
That's a sweeeet ass car my friend!



sshhhh......dont tell Mrs. Mydsooner but im buying her a 60's convertible Mustang this spring.

I have my eye on a '66 candy-apple red with a 289 i think.

She bought my a bike so i thought i would return the favor. She told me when the new Mustangs came out that she had always wanted an old Mustang convertible.
wvwa34
21 years ago
AWESOME !!!!!!! THAT THING LOOKS LIKE ITS FLYING JUST SITTIN THERE!!!!!!!!! VEEEEEEEEERY NICE!!!!
Jdllizard
21 years ago
Very nice ride. Saw a 2005 driving around yesterday in a horrible green color, and it still looked schweeeet.
John L
bullwinkle
21 years ago
That is a beautiful machine! There is currently a 89 Mach I in indian fire red, with a 351W sitting in my garage..


Andrew
TrannyMk
21 years ago
Thanks guys... it was quite a ride...

I bought this from the original owner. He was a salesman at the local Ford dealership in Santa Barbara CA. So this car had all the options you could get.

When I bought it it was Ford 'sky blue' with black trim and stock wheels. That looked pretty nice but my dream car had to be red. Believe it or not, but this is 'Fiat 850' red. The brightest red available at the time. I paid $1300 in 1978 to have it painted. It needed no body work. In those days that was an expensive paint job. The wheels were 'Kragers'. Some of you old timers probably remember those...


This ride was definately a 'Chick Magnet'...

Mike



TrannyMk
21 years ago


PS: The current chick was in the background... ;>)
THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Beautiful! I think the '70 Mustang was the high water mark. The Boss 302 was the one I dreamed of, and still do. The Mach 1 had better colors and interior packages available, though. I love these cars.!
THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
And all of the REAL muscle cars had Crager SS mags. Not the **** Keystone imitations or even the Magnum 500 which was Ford's deluxe sport wheel at the time.
You see the Magnums on most of the restored Mustangs. Back then guys would take off the Magnums and mount Cragers the 2nd day they had the car.
TrannyMk
21 years ago
THL...

You got it right! 'Crager', I knew something didnt look right when I wrote'Krager'... THL, thanks, but you are showing your age like me, hehe!...

Mike
THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
1970 was the year I turned 16 and got my license. These cars were literally in my dreams. When I think of all the drunken drag racing and crazy stuff we did, I'm amazed that any of us survived.

Do you remember the funny car "Blue Max"? That was one beautiful Mach 1.
TrannyMk
21 years ago
THL...

Yes, I do remember the car called 'Blue Max', but to be honest with you I cant recall the drivers name. I love Drag Racing.

I went to the 'Winternationals' in Pomona CA in 1977 with my friends. we got pit passes and got to meet and talk to Don Garlits (Big Daddy)& other guys. He was really cool & showed us his car & spare motors... he was really down to earth too... at least then...

Mike
TrannyMk
21 years ago

Drag Racing Story of the Day!

Funny Car Jeopardy

By Pat Foster

I experienced real "funny car jeopardy" once during a match race. It was Richard Tharp in the Blue Max and me in the Barry Setzer car somewhere in the Midwest. We leave the starting line and at just about the 1000-ft. mark, it's raining sideways -- a real gully washer. Lift? I think not, that's Richard over there and I'm still going straight! We run as deep as we dare and then pull the chutes and try to stop. Good luck... both cars ended up in the mud off the end. Richard said "Man, Harry is gonna be pissed!" As the crew got there it was so bitchin'; they all stood around and gave us both the thumbs up and were applauding like kids. Now that's JEOPARDY!

One of the neat things about Funny Cars is, you can have fog on the window as you stage and it gets better the farther you go...Whew!

Foster
THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Actually, there were 10 or so different Blue Max cars. Seems to me the builder's name was Beadle or something like that. In '69 and '70 he ran some gorgeous Mach 1s.

At a "Funny Car Nationals" event at Capitol Drag Raceway,(between Baltimore and D.C.) he launched his blower and the car exploded into a shower of fiberglass and plastic. Amazingly, no one was hurt. They were offering $10 for every piece of the car returned.
jgjam
21 years ago
My 69 Mach 1 was a sweet ride too... even with the 351W... traveled in disguse... it had been repainted in Chevy white (sacraligious I know) and detailed with the Boss 302 decals... it scared most of them just starting it up... the Windsor engine was nothing special but reliable... my brother had a Torino with the 351C and had nothing but problems...
jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Wow! Nice Mike.
Brings back memories. Mine was a midnight blue painted over that same blue you mentioned. Didn't have the louvers. I had Kellys on Cragar S/S mags just like those.
I still miss that car, but really like the way they did the new 05s.
goodwrench
21 years ago
I went to school in st. loius mo. Went to funny car show in Alton Ill. Eight cars on a wedesday nite. Ramchargers, Stones Woods and Cook, Arnie the farmer Beswick, the Blue Max, Chitown Hustler. Nothing better than nitro cars at night. Forgot to tell year summer of 1967.
glen
TrannyMk
21 years ago
For newbies...
mr.harten
21 years ago
Nice! I really love cars from this era.
Users browsing this topic