Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
It's bubbling a little less now. Hope to have in the keg by this Wednesday (3-16-05)
365208.GIF

Click to View Image81 View(s)

rayder1
21 years ago
I'm glad you cleared that up...I thought it was a bong.
RDC
  • RDC
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
I shared your photo with a friend that brews...

"this one is about to makes a mess, the beer has fermented vigorously enough to infiltrate the air lock It happens, but it needs watched I have blown an air lock like this if the foam clogs up the two little holes on the top cover of the lock, it will spew

nasty mess, and a potential loss of the batch"


If it the batch lives I'll bring pizza!
Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
My friend is keeping an eye on it. He thought that it had settled down enough to put the smaller one on instead of using the big jar. Thanks for the advice, I'll pass it along.
Homebrew
21 years ago
If that is a current photo,
I agree with the above post. Change the water in that airlock. Also, forget about kegging that batch on the 16th. too early. I would rack it into secondary, for another week, then keg it with some priming sugar.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Homebrew
21 years ago
You may also want to steralize that airlock. You wouldn't want anybacteria that could have migrated into the polluted airlock to migrate into your beer.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
andytv
21 years ago
I would get a 6 gallon plastic fermentor for the primary fermentation. Easier to clean, and head space is less of an issue.
elchupaman
21 years ago
You know, I always used 151 in my airlocks. Did double duty . . .
ahhhh homebrewing . . .i miss it. Used to do a BUNCH of it but sold it off as i have way to many hobbies. I had a 10 gallon converted keg recirculating system going. A couple things I always wanted to try was a true Rauchbeir and a true Icebock . . .

J
(someday I'll get around to changing my sig)
teedubbya
21 years ago
Geez I miss brewing. Just wish I still had the time.
Don Johnson
21 years ago
Yes you shouldn't keg untill the krousen is compleatly gone. But if you look at the airlock I don't think that it is wort but Iodafor that is in the airlock. There isn't any foam in it.
I wouldn't use a plastic bucket. Iv'e had to many bad contamination problems with them. Glass or stainless is the only way to go.
I'll try to post a picture of the system we used on Saturday. It is the new brew system that is going to Homer, Alaska. My friend made it and had to try it out to make sure everything worked.

Don
Homebrew
21 years ago
If it is Idaphor, food grade Iodine, it would not be a problem, but it looks just like some of the beer blew in and mixed with the water in the airlock. It would not be foaming, unless there was very vigerous fermentation, as the yeast will deplete the available sugars, very quickly in the watered down Wort.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
I just got a call from by friend and he just rafted it off into the secondary container and will be putting it in a keg very soon. Ready to drink by this weekend.

He had to call and tell me that he HAD to taste it to see if it was "green" and he says it tastes like a hearty, dense, slightly sweet bread. "Oh, it's good Thom. -slurp- Oh, yeah, that's good beer Thom."
Users browsing this topic