puskarich
21 years ago
I wanted to stream music to anywhere in the house, but didnt want to spend the $$$ to buy a music server/jukebox. I had some spare computer parts around the house so I decided to build one myself.

The server has been up and running since December. I can now send music to any computer on my home network (or over the Internet if I wanted). The first thing I wanted to do was send the tunes to the 'movie room/rec room'.

I gutted a broken DVD player (top left), painted it to match the other stereo components (top right), and replaced the guts with computer parts (bottom left). The last photo is the jukebox interface on a 55-inch big screen TV.

Extra bonus: Now while I'm watching TV, I can check out CBID during the commercials.

383922.jpg

Click to View Image58 View(s)

Mo'sMan
21 years ago
sweet rigging
Thom
21 years ago
Nicely done. What software are you using?
chipslave
21 years ago
Nicely done Rich!

Now... can you help me get an IP on the coffee maker at work? I am trying to figure out a way to have it page me when the coffee is done... (c:
puskarich
21 years ago
Thom: The server is running Linux with jukebox software called "Globecom Jukebox". It is open source, so if you can program, you can customize it. However, the thing is loaded with features so most people wont need to. The server can stream the music to any pc/device that can play streaming media. If you want to access the jukebox software to select songs, all you need is a web browser. The server is an old Pentium 400 that I had hanging around the house. It has 192 MB RAM and hasnt been rebooted once since January.

The DVD-computer is running Win 2000 with 256 MB RAM. The motherboard is a mini-itx board. Those things are amazingly small (which is how I got it to fit in the DVD case). They are 17cm x 17cm - about slightly larger in size than the hard drive.
puskarich
21 years ago
Chip: You dont need no stinkin IP. You need this:

http://articles.pimprig.com/featured_pimprig/the_caffeine_machine.php?page=print 

You'll be the envy of the office.....or they will snicker at you behind your back.

Pimp yo rig, brutha. Pimp yo rig. LOL!!!
lukin
21 years ago
I would like my toaster to imprint the latest stock quotes...could you rig something up for me?

Seriously awesome rig you have there....I have always had above average intelligence, but this kind of thing comepletely blows my mind.
ajeroth
21 years ago
Nice... I guess I took the easy way out. I built another computer to use as a server for music and movies. It's hooked up to my new 42" Plasma. I'm lovin that!

ajeroth
puskarich
21 years ago
^ Topped for 00camper
Users browsing this topic