sloth
  • sloth
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
This here is my flagship painting from my senior art show in 2002. Its on a 30x22 inch sheet of printing paper. I used oil pastels, oil paint and lots of turpenoid (An odorless turpentine substitute). The photo is a little dull... it was done by an amateur.

Namely me...

The painting is called "Untitled 01"... creative huh?
417321.jpg

Click to View Image120 View(s)

Que
  • Que
  • Aficionado
21 years ago
I am not into art at all, but when I look at it I kind of see a wilderness scene with a lake in the middle. Maybe I just need more sleep. I do know this though, I do like it.

Que
RDC
  • RDC
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
yup, I saw a forrest too. A second look revealed to me a "man" or some figure on the far left. He looks angry. You can see where is mouth curls downward giving him a frown of sorts.

Nice painting. I like it.
tank71663
21 years ago
Hey...

Is there susposed to be a car somewhere in here ?




I only wish I was this artistic..


TANK
Charlie
21 years ago
Sloth

Great work!

One question>>>>>"Where is the cigar"?

Charlie
pabloescabar
21 years ago
I have nothing nice ta say...
PMoreno349
21 years ago
I like it. When was the painting done? Are you studying art, or is this a personal passion?
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
sloth

i'm not too much into impressionism but your painting did catch my eye as it was suppossed to do.

plase don't put down your work. the painting is a lot better then many i have seen considered that are offered for sale by gallaries.

http://1tiny.com/1R1 

http://1tiny.com/1R2 

enjoy yourself and stand a little taller, you have earned it.
johnfs
21 years ago
Well that's really something.
DrMaddVibe
21 years ago
You're supposed to clean the brushes with turpentine not drink it!!!!!



All kidding aside, I like it.
lofty1
21 years ago
something . . . but what? am i the only uncultured swine that doesn't know what the hell i'm looking at? help me out here, sloth. what is it?
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
lofty1

don't study the picture. glance at it and close your eyes. what do you think of? what comes to mind?

write it down and should have written, what your eyes and mind have seen.
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
lofty1

don't study the picture. glance at it and close your eyes. what do you think of? what comes to mind?

write it down and should have written, what your eyes and mind have seen.
xibbumbero
21 years ago
I happen to like impressionist paintings and I like yours,very creative. Please more pics. X
pabloescabar
21 years ago
Im sorry Rick, I just don't get it...


keep trying sloth, maybe some day
Charlie
21 years ago
Think about it as you look....titties and Beer!!!!
LMAO, only joking!

Charlie
strider32
21 years ago
I like it. Reminds me of script on cave walls. What did your instructor think? Let's see some of your other works.
coda
21 years ago
A coming storm.
TrannyMk
21 years ago
I like it. My first thought of it is a forest as others said. Let's see another one!
sloth
  • sloth
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Is there supposed to be a car somewhere in here? No, but there could be.

"Where is the cigar"? The cigar is in the smurf’s hand. (LOL) Actually I haven’t gone back into painting for a while and in that time is when I started smoking cigars.

When was the painting done? It was painted in the, I think, fall of 2002.

Are you studying art, or is this a personal passion? I did, but not actively at the moment. And yes.

Something . . . but what? It is a painting.

Am I the only uncultured swine that doesn't know what the hell I’m looking at? I don’t know.

Help me out here, sloth. What is it? It is a photo of a painting.

What do you think of? What comes to mind? Questions for Lofty, don’t answer.

What do you think of? What comes to mind? Questions for Lofty, don’t answer.

What did your instructor think? If it wasn’t for my instructor I wouldn’t of made that painting.

OK, I got those out of the way… Let me explain the painting. Rick is on the mark at how to look at the painting. It is what ever you want it to be. A forest, a person, or where Lofty is concerned… an enigma. I once joked in front of people that the painting looks as if a bunch of smurfs were partying in the woods. As a result, it ended up being what everyone saw… smurfs. So, I ended up naming the paintings "Untitled" and when people asked, “what is it?” I would reply, “A painting,” and then ask them what they see. Also, it wasn’t meant to be a finished work. One night I was desperately trying to finish some paintings for my final critique that was on the next day. The last painting (btw, this is not about the painting in the image) I was working on a recreation of someone else’s work. Things were not going great so I just started slapping paint around. The next day, the day of the critique, I was a little worried about what was going to be said. The professor just ignored all of my other paintings and went straight to the paint-slapped painting. He told me I was on to something and went on to suggest working like that, but on a much larger scale. So, I did… but a problem came up. I can stretch a mean 4’ by 4’ canvas, but it sure did take me awhile to do it. In fact, it took longer than me actually painting on it. So he made a new suggestion… to buy a ream of print making paper and just paint on that. The idea was to paint fast… once I moved from it to another it was done. No touching up… no rendering. The painting you see above is just one of those very paintings. If you need a meaning, it was part of an exploration. This painting was just one of the many stops. And hopefully a gleam of what is to come.


BTW FYI comments:

I dig Pablo’s comments really… it is honest. I’ve looked at many paintings myself and have said things along those lines. Also, when I had my first solo art show… everyone had nothing but positive things to say. The only thing is… is that all of those paintings were on sale. Not one sold.

Don’t worry about me Rick… I like my art. I’m just a really humble guy.
Users browsing this topic