RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
*
422476.jpg

Click to View Image92 View(s)

THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
'Twas ever thus. People of influence making money. I'm shocked!
HockeyDad
21 years ago
Since you posted the picture, I assume you believe everything it says so I'll ask you to support it.

The men pictured are all either employees or board members. It is not clear whether any are actual stakeholders in the Carlyle Group. Please provide their percentage stakeholder positions in Carlyle Group so that we can properly assess whether they have made "billions in the war" or even billions at all.
Since the Carlyle Group states that in has $29.6 billion in assets under its control, it would be hard to believe that the combined salaries of the six pictured individuals would reach into the billions or even remotely close to a billion so they must have made their billions as stakeholders if the story behind the picture is correct.

Is their combined stakeholder position larger or smaller than the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) which owns 5.5% of the Carlyle Group. CalPERS is a $1.6 Billion stakeholder by the way and has the option to increase to 10%.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say that past and present State of California employees are making billions off the war and terrorism if the story behind the picture is correct?
tank71663
21 years ago
Oh good answer...good answer..(said in the style of the family fued game show)


TANK
jim2000man
21 years ago
WOW three world leaders and three and three top political office holders were smart enough to make a good financial investment. Who would have thought ?!!!!!!!
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
maybe Kerry should apply for a job with them instead of living off of rich biatchs

Then maybe he would have enough standing to be a leader
bloody spaniard
21 years ago
IMHO, one would think that these world leaders/power brokers would have the ethics & morals to steer away from industries DIRECTLY profiting from war/conflict.
They should stick to hog bellies...

These men are now enriching themselves from events that neither they nor their family members would have ever been personally involved in when they were faced with the option- the exception being Bush Sr.
rayder1
21 years ago
Better do your homework on this one. Another assumption based post by Rick.

Hockeydad...it will probably go unanswered.

BTW as a PERS member and future retiree...I am proud to have my PERS contributions invested so wisely. I wouldn't be upset if they became the primary shareholder. I might even direct my other retirement accounts to include a percentage of Carlyle stocks.

Thanks for the tip!!
bloody spaniard
21 years ago
EI, the only thing that I want to see of Kerry's is his military and medical records (along w/Slick Willie's medical history).
rayder1
21 years ago
BTW Blood...you have mentioned some things that don't exist...that could never happen.

You mentioned politicians, ethics and morals in the same sentence without using the phrase "lack of".

If you are to climb a major corporate or political ladder, those two qualities have to be abandoned.
bloody spaniard
21 years ago
Rayder, it's enough to make you shake your head.
A few men are beyond corruption but those are usually the ones who impose term limits- on themselves.

Steve Largent comes to mind.
A man of principle who answered to no one except the Man upstairs.
usahog
21 years ago
"(along w/Slick Willie's medical history)."

I think Slick Willy's medical profile would fall under "Pedophile" and should be open to the public knowledge base.. have you checked the website for his location? just add in the name or zipcode (area) he also should come up on every zipcode list because he travels allot...
http://childsafenetwork.org/signup.php?pt=jc4&o=100&i=4183018 

Hog
cgarman
21 years ago
Steve Largent had a great PR manager!!!!
CulleyJC52
21 years ago
Nice reply Hockey Dad, I like Rick, but on his political views unless he can "cut and paste" a question like yours will most certainly be unanswered.

As also you question about Kuiwait
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
these people control the company's destiny.

they have the power to vote on all decisions, including and more importantly their salary's and bonuses from the company.

the question is how much are these men paid? no way to know.

but i did find this article by carlyle's managing director.

In a column posted yesterday on Salon.com, Joe Conason writes: "Preferring to avoid public scrutiny for obvious reasons, executives at the Carlyle Group usually say nothing about their firm's connections with the Bush dynasty. But last April 23, Carlyle managing director David Rubenstein spoke quite frankly about the comfy sinecure he provided to George W. Bush more than a decade ago -- and how useless Bush turned out to be. Whether he knew it or not, Rubenstein's remarks to the Los Angeles County Employees Retirement Association were recorded."

Rubenstein said, "We put [Bush] on the board and [he] spent three years. Came to all the meetings. Told a lot of jokes. Not that many clean ones. And after a while I kind of said to him, after about three years - you know, I'm not sure this is really for you. Maybe you should do something else. Because I don't think you're adding that much value to the board. You don't know
that much about the company.

Rubenstein continued: "He said, well I think I'm getting out of this business anyway. And I don't really like it that much. So I'm probably going to resign from the board. And I said, thanks - didn't think I'd ever see him again. His name is George W. Bush. He became President of the United States. So you know if you said to me, name 25 million people who would maybe be President of the United States, he wouldn't have been in that category. So you never know. Anyway, I haven't
been invited to the White House for any things."
HockeyDad
21 years ago
Rick,

These people in your picture don't control the Carlyle Group's destiny. Read their job titles. They're political hacks in advisor and couselor positions and they surely do not vote all decisions and especially not their own salaries. Private companies don't have employees voting on their own salaries. Only congress does that! Now Carlucci used to be in a position of power but none of the other hacks. Only Darman and Major are even still with the group.

Carlyle Group is controlled by its three remaining founders which are William E. Conway, Jr., Daniel A. D’Aniello and David M. Rubenstein. Carlyle’s Chairman is Louis V. Gerstner. (You might recognize that name....Hint....IBM)

So where this leaves us is that we don't know how much these guys made in salary. We don't know if they have any of their own money invested with the Carlyle Group. We don't know exactly how they were war profiteers except that some of the Carlyle Group's companies are defense related industries and were large enough at one point in time to be the 11th largest defense contractor in the US but not anymore due to liquidations. (Translation: they bought low and sold high)

We do know that we don't like any of these guys for political reasons. We know that the California Public Employees' Retirement System is a 5.5% stakeholder in the Carlyle Group and must share in any war profiteering activities likely to a much larger degree than any of the pictured suspects.

It is clear from the evidence at hand that Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamamics, and Northrop Grumman are all war profiteers since they are much larger defense contractors than the Carlyle Group. This would stand to reason that they are making far more off wars than the Carlyle Group.

I need a Dr Pepper!
Users browsing this topic