jetblasted
14 years ago
Interesting read, if you like aircraft development.

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b47_10.html 
1280px-Boeing_XB-47D_propjet (600 x 383).jpg

Click to View Image216 View(s)

xibbumbero
14 years ago
Are those props I see?
BTW,This medium bomber had the Soviets shaking in their boots. X
jetblasted
14 years ago
This is one of only 2 'D' variants built to see the feasibility of high speed flight with props on swept wing aircraft. The program was dropped.

In the late 40's, the Soviets were too busy building copies of the B-29's they stole from us, and turning 900 of them out as the TU-4.

They didn't catch up to us with jet bombers until the mid-50's with the TU-16 & TU-95
NJ Navy Chief
14 years ago

This is one of only 2 'D' variants built to see the feasibility of high speed flight with props on swept wing aircraft. The program was dropped.

In the late 40's, the Soviets were too busy building copies of the B-29's they stole from us, and turning 900 of them out as the TU-4.

They didn't catch up to us with jet bombers until the mid-50's with the TU-16 & TU-95

jetblasted wrote:




That Bear D (TU-95) was one big F'n aircraft. Spent 21+ years in the Navy in the electronics intel/warfare community and I have seen this aircraft close up and in flight when it used to fly it's route from the Kola Peninsula to Cuba/Uganda back in the late 70's/early 80's. Of course that always had a "courtesy" escort by our fighters.

*Note TU-16 was a subsonic jet and TU-95s were prop, no jet engines. You may be confusing the TU-116 (Bear) Bomber (with passenger seating).
xibbumbero
14 years ago
The TU-95 is one loud aircraft. The counter-rotating props continously break the sound barrier.
The B-47 had the Soviets shaking in thier boots,the B-58 Hustler,a Mach-2 medium bomber had them crapping their pants. X
jetblasted
14 years ago

That Bear D (TU-95) was one big F'n aircraft. Spent 21+ years in the Navy in the electronics intel/warfare community and I have seen this aircraft close up and in flight when it used to fly it's route from the Kola Peninsula to Cuba/Uganda back in the late 70's/early 80's. Of course that always had a "courtesy" escort by our fighters.

*Note TU-16 was a subsonic jet and TU-95s were prop, no jet engines. You may be confusing the TU-116 (Bear) Bomber (with passenger seating).

NJ Navy Chief wrote:



Cool story about the TU-95's, but I was referring to them. I might be somewhat off, but the Soviets were too busy turning out the TU-4, or the exact copy of the 3 B-29's that they stole, to have a jet bomber in the late 40's. I "think" the TU-16 was their answer to the B-47, and the TU-95 was a follow-up. The TU-95 was an impressing aircraft with it's double props, payload, speed & range. I've never heard one before, but I bet they 'are' loud as hell.
jackconrad
14 years ago
Nice Landing Gear..
Users browsing this topic