Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
4 years ago
"Our puddingheaded president bailed out people who took out expensive student loans they were never going to be able to pay back. Yes, he's screwing over the middle class now that Democrats are a regional party of upper-income, coastal elitists. Yes, this amounts to a big payoff to his supporters and using questionable rationale to do so. All of that is terrible. But it also reminded me of the bigger problem, and this video Mike Rowe shared in 2019.

Mr. Dirty Jobs took to Facebook and asked his supporters to share the following video about the scam of college costs and student loan debt. Watch and think to yourself how much worse things have gotten."

I work hard on this page, (not as hard as I could, perhaps, but pretty hard), to avoid the politics of the moment, and comment only on topics that impact the foundation I’m proud to run – a foundation that awards work-ethic scholarships to individuals who choose to forego an expensive, four-year education in favor of a skilled trade. When I do weigh in, I try to acknowledge both sides of the argument, and make my points with as much respect as I can muster. Today, however, I can see only one side. Today, I can find nothing to respect in the President’s decision to transfer billions of dollars in outstanding student loans onto the backs of those people my foundation tries to assist - the same people I’ve spent the last twenty years profiling on Dirty Jobs.

With that in mind, I’m not going to write the piece I just sat down to write. Instead, I’m going to share the attached article from Charlie Cooke, who writes better than I do, and shares my disdain for what just happened. If you share our disdain, then please, share this post as well. This decision is without question, the biggest pre-Labor Day slap in the face to working people I've ever seen.


BIDEN'S STUDENT-DEBT BONFIRE IS A CLASSIST MESSAGE TO THE UNCREDENTIALED: SCREW 'EM

By Charlie Cooke

A few moments before I sat down to write this piece, I opened the door to six guys in blue shirts who had come to my house to replace our air-conditioning units. The Florida weather being what it is, I’ve seen some of these guys work on our air conditioners before, and they’re as skilled and knowledgeable and conscientious and hard-working as you might expect. The company they work for, which is local to North Florida, was started by a guy who chose to forgo college in favor of taking out a small-business loan to strike out on his own. Most of the technicians who work for him didn’t go to college, either. They took a different path. And, well . . . what absolute chumps the president has just made of them for that!

Squirm if you like, but that’s the truth of the matter: As of today, the six air-conditioning technicians in my house are on the hook for college loans that were signed for, spent, and enjoyed by other people. Confirming the measure today, President Biden announced that any American who has both college debt they vowed to repay and an individual yearly income under $125,000 (or a family yearly income under $250,000) will be given up to $20,000 by the Treasury — which means by you, and by me, and by everyone else who pays taxes in America.
Why? Well, that’s the question.

The answer can’t be, “because that’s what the relevant law anticipates or requires.” As of yet, Congress has provided no authorization for the executive branch to arbitrarily write off some of the money that borrowers owe to taxpayers. As of yet, Congress has passed no rules that allow down-on-their-luck presidents to throw money at people for political gain. As of yet, Congress has given no instruction that if the president’s friends might like a little more cash, he can raid the Treasury to give it to them. Certainly, Congress has set up a loan program. But the deal there is rather simple, all told: First you borrow, and then you pay back what you borrowed. There is no mention of “forgiveness” days or of “help” or of rolling Chekhovian jubilees, and by pretending otherwise, President Biden is making a mockery of his oath to uphold the Constitution.

Another answer that won’t fly is, “To lower the cost of education.” As President Biden made clear today, this is a one-time deal, a lottery, a lightning strike. People who paid off their loans last week aren’t covered. People who will take out new loans after the policy has run its course aren’t covered. The problems in the system aren’t addressed. The colleges, and their endowments, are left unmolested. American culture’s increasingly credentialist presumptions aren’t altered. Within four years, overall debt will return to its present level. With the stroke of a pen, the already-fake deficit savings within the Inflation Reduction Act will be wiped out. This isn’t a reform. It’s not even pretending to be reform. It’s a contemptuous, abusive, unbelievably expensive shot in the dark — the net effect of which will be that fewer people correctly calibrate whether college is worth it, fewer colleges change their offerings to meet market demand, and, because this sort of executive giveaway will now loom large as a possibility, fewer people feel the need to save for college.

It seems so arbitrary. Why does Biden not want to do the same thing for loans on trucks owned by plumbers? Why not for mortgages — which, given how heavily it subsidizes them, the federal government clearly thinks are worthwhile? Why not for credit cards or auto payments or mom-and-pop credit lines? The answer, I’m afraid to say, is disgustingly classist: Because Joe Biden and his party believe that college students are better than everyone else. Because Joe Biden and his party believe that college students are of a finer cut. Because Joe Biden and his party prefer college students to you, and they think that those students ought to be rewarded for that by being handed enormous gobs of your money.
Electricians, store managers, deli workers, landscapers, waitresses, mechanics, entrepreneurs? Screw ’em. Sure, college graduates make more money than non-graduates, and their unemployment rate is lower, too. But non-graduates don’t have access to the president, so they don’t matter. They’re tradesmen, the riff-raff, the great unwashed. They’re background noise, dirty-handed types, second-classers. They don’t deserve $10,000 in debt reduction. What would they even do with it? Go hunting? Give it to their church? Their role is to subsidize the superior people, and the superior people go to college.

Why did Joe Biden do all this? That’s why. Why was this what Joe Biden chose to break his oath to achieve? That’s why. When it came down to it, good ol’ Scranton Joe sent cash from the sort of people he cynically pretends to care about to the sort of people he actually cares about: the privileged, accredited, self-dealing clerisy that his ever-dwindling political party now calls its base.


frankj1
4 years ago
Trump University rejected me...
bgz
  • bgz
  • Herf-A-Holic
4 years ago
As millions across the land at once say... you mean I could have actually went to colladge?
frankj1
4 years ago
Gene!
Is that a typo in the OP?
Very funny, even if intentional.
Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
4 years ago

Gene!
Is that a typo in the OP?
Very funny, even if intentional.

frankj1 wrote:



It was funny, but had to be corrected.
frankj1
4 years ago

It was funny, but had to be corrected.

Gene363 wrote:


I understand, but thanks for the laff.
Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
4 years ago

I understand, but thanks for the laff.

frankj1 wrote:



We could all use a little humor on this issue.
frankj1
4 years ago
Sunoverbeach
4 years ago
I got ya

What sits at the bottom of the sea and twitches?
A nervous wreck
RayR
4 years ago

Any idea why Frank and Ben have no original thoughts on the article? 🤔
Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
4 years ago

Any idea why Frank and Ben have no original thoughts on the article? 🤔

RayR wrote:



Humor is original.
RayR
4 years ago

Humor is original.

Gene363 wrote:



Silly me, I thought the humor was being used to skirt the subject. 😕
That's not really original.
Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
4 years ago

Silly me, I thought the humor was being used to skirt the subject. 😕
That's not really original.

RayR wrote:



Perpetual arguing isn't original either.
MACS
4 years ago

Trump University rejected me...

frankj1 wrote:



How do you feel about spending tax dollars on loans that people took out, of their own volition? I disagree with it for a myriad of reasons. If you support it, I would like to understand why.
RayR
4 years ago
Expect 🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗
DrMaddVibe
4 years ago

How do you feel about spending tax dollars on loans that people took out, of their own volition? I disagree with it for a myriad of reasons. If you support it, I would like to understand why.

MACS wrote:



I mean like paying taxes, you can always pay more if you want to. You coupd always pay for someone else to get a sweet degree studying Taylor Swifts lyrics or gender pronouns. Why make everyone else though? Sure there are doctors, lawyers and accountants that need to pay back their loans. Despite high paying jobs that come with those degrees for 2000.00 a piece you too are now able to pay down their debts.
frankj1
4 years ago

How do you feel about spending tax dollars on loans that people took out, of their own volition? I disagree with it for a myriad of reasons. If you support it, I would like to understand why.

MACS wrote:


In general, I don't support it. Definitely not this particular action anyway.

I don't have a clear suggestion on what can or should be done but I would listen to any proposed.

Seems to me that costs to attend college have been rising waaaaay beyond the cost of living in any other area, probably even health care and medicine, for decades. Most of that has not gone toward the actual education itself of students.
Things considered upper management, just for a general term, have been sucking up the increases.
How can this be addressed?

This has led to a couple of overlooked problems in my opinion..

It has made higher education less of a smaht investment for people of most income classes.

And, more tragically, it has widened the earnings gap as it creates much more of a two class society. I say "class", not "race" because it is not structured to limit any specific people purposely. But it has affectively lowered the great American Opportunity Promise and odds of living somewhat comfortably in the middle class that we all support...except for a few anarchists who want it all to crash anyway.

We paid our loans, including masters plus for Caren, but it was likely 5% or maybe 10% of our monthly expenses back then.
Both of us found employment related to our degrees. Today it may have been 50% of our incomes in the same fields. Where would we have been forced to live in able to also pay for heat and food?

As it happens, after a while and a kid (eventually 3) I switched to a career with less restrictions on earnings potential, but I would never say that anyone could do it. Self employed straight commission! Scary. It was very stressful but was mostly worth the downside of the deal (often missing dinner, working lots of weekends, never having a guaranteed paycheck). But it afforded us more comforts, our first home (half a duplex) and then our second/current home, cars for all, COLLEGE for 3 kids with them owing very little, etc. etc. After 20 years of that I was offered and accepted a chance from a friend to help grow his business and return to normal hours in time to enjoy full family life but still never made as much money. Luckily I had put plenty aside to not have to step down in our life style.

I was talking to a friend of our kids the other day at the memorial golf tournament/fund raiser for our Danny. He's in his late 30's and owes a half million dollars from becoming a doctor. He's also the type who sincerely wants to improve the quality of life for his fellow human beings so it was only natural that he entered some kind of program in which he gives x amount of years toward some horrible situation on Earth in exchange for tons of loan forgiveness...

I applaud people like him, but let's face it, he's a rare breed.
frankj1
4 years ago

Perpetual arguing isn't original either.

Gene363 wrote:


well said, old man.
well said.

I will try to avoid perpetuating it
HockeyDad
4 years ago
Considering 283 million people just took on a $1100 student loan, I’m hearing a lot of talkee talkee and seeing less workee workee. You people got new debts to pay! Get at it.

A child born today starts with $1100 student loan debt. Nice!
Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
4 years ago
IMO, high schools stressing the need for all students to go to college and the easy availability of student loans incentivized colleges and universities to increase tuition costs and to offer a plethora of feel-good and useless degrees.
Users browsing this topic