bassdude
21 years ago
What ILM said.
cgbgjr
21 years ago


I didn't vote even though I am very politically active in other ways.

Here is why.

My state is overwhelmingly Democrat and I am not. Kerry, the incumbent U. S. Senator, incumbent Congressmen, are all Democrats who don't share my values. They all won by landslides which everyone knew they would.

Everyone is this liberal state is always whining about "vote vote vote" almost as much as they complain about smokers.

I refuse to do anything they say as a protest.

Oh, yeah, and I lie to everyone about it because I have no interest in having a two hour debate with everyone I meet. I even take the time to make sure that I know where the polling place is so my lie is convincing.

I suspect I am not alone.

SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
cgbgjr ... I take it you're a MA resident ... I'm across the continent in CA, but other than the fact that I DID vote (because I wanted to contribute to the overall total and had at least a passing interest in some local issues) our experience sounds similar ...
Wagner
21 years ago
Yes it's over, but I will not give up. There are important virtues in being a "liberal" as well as being a "conservative." Anyone who resorts to name calling or pinning labels on people is not thinking through the issues but rather just ranting and raving.

Personally, I see nothing especially moral about George Bush. He lies and misleads like 99% of other politicians. It's just made worse by the fact he pretends to be of high moral character. Does opposing abortion make you moral? What if you oppose abortion and kill someone? Are you then still moral?

No, I will still fight for the democratic ideals. I believe in helping my neighbor and those less fortunate. Most republicans I know believe that it's not their responsibility to do so and proudly tell you so. I don't see any Christian value in that frame of thought.

Kerry was the wrong candidate, I said that from the beginning, but it doesn't mean liberal is a bad word or a bad person. Yes, we have different values, but please respect that, afterall we still have free thought and free speech don't we?

Wagner
usahog
21 years ago
cgbgjr, Number 1 I wouldn't put myself in a place where I would have to lie.. I wouldn't lie to anyone and if the truth hurts and causes complaints or even fists and feet then so be it.. I wouldn't allow anyone including family members detour my given right as an American and if these individuals didn't like my outcome as to who my prefrences were.. well they can Kiss my A$$....

my sister has not spoke to nor returned my email or phone calls since the election, but she herself was a ABB and we would have long discussions on the issues pryor to the elections... am I dis owned?? if so her loss not mine.. I'll still love her and keep her in my prayers and time heals all wounds...

Hog
SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Hog, while I tend toward your view, my wife feels it best to take the less argumentive path and allow whomever she's speaking with to assume she agrees with them ... she doesn't actually lie so much as just give the sort of feedback that allows them to make wrong assumptions ... says she knows how she voted, so who the hell cares if someone else thought different as long as it saved an argument ... her point is, in some ways well taken in at least one case ... our oldest son has taken a 180 turn in his views as he's grown into adulthood ... he and his old man have had a hard word or two on the subject and his mom just doesn't want to go down that path ... so, she lets him think she agrees with him, even though she doesn't ... I just don't have that in me and couldn't play-act that way ...
Gunflintwoodshop
21 years ago
Hog - Keep standing tall you'll never regret it. Gunflint
cgbgjr
21 years ago
I should have made it clear. I have taken the time to explain my views to all family members, even distant relatives who express an interest, because I don't mind spending the time with them to have a discussion. Interestingly, they all take it rather well and accept that different folks can have different opinions. However, I will not waste my time arguing with people at work or more casual acquaintances when it is none of their business whether I vote or not or what my political views are. There are several busybodies at work who I lie to regularly because they are asking questions about my personal life that are none of their business. Here in the Northeast there are a lot of those "in your face" individuals. When I lived in Southern California or Texas years ago it was never a problem. Folks there had a lot more common sense about giving people space.
cgbgjr
21 years ago
usehog--I love to argue with people and stand up for my views--but at a time and place of my choosing, not theirs.

When I fight I fight to win--but I always want to choose the territory. (Lao Tzu 😉 )
usahog
21 years ago
cgbgjr, I understand what your saying now about the busy body's.. I just tell them kinds to FO... or smile and say wouldn't you really like to know ;0)

Hog
Users browsing this topic