E-Chick
21 years ago
I think you're all wrong...

I think that a majority of the people that may have called to complain have more of a problem with the black/white thing...

But that's just me...

Marla
Seth Gekko
21 years ago
Marla beat me to it. . . . .
SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
I've heard countless comments on sports talk radio, seen a fair number online and in the newspaper, and read all of the above posts ...

That was the first mention, implicit or implied, that racism was a factor ...
SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
(a too quick trigger-finger, there) ....

Based on what I've heard so far, I simply don't believe the notion that same-race would have made 1¢ worth of difference ...
lofty1
21 years ago
marla,
you may be right, but that certainly is not my motivation for deeming the event inappropriate. is that what bothered you most?
dapperdan
21 years ago
I'm sure I would laugh at a lot of these shows, that's why I don't watch them. The point is a lot of people, single mom's etc. don't have the time to supervise there kid's or don't care. But they are our future and in 20 years from now I hate to see what the media has created in the minds of our young. Quite frankly I see Sodom and Gomorra and that's not the world I want my grand kids living in. We all make our choices in life but as for me, Me and my house will serve the Lord.Dan
Homebrew
21 years ago
I must say,
I enjoyed the lead in. Remember these networks must compete with cable and satilite for audience. I myself think we need to quit legislating morality. Teach your kids right from wrong, and quit telling others what to do. If the moral majority would quit trying to control what everyone else see's, and worry about teaching their own children this country would be great again.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
lofty1
21 years ago
dave,
i have no problem with that. i just think we, as an audience, should know what to expect from whatever it is that we are viewing. i expect football from MNF. i wouldn't have expected what everyone got in the intro. i can't control what my kids see if i don't know what the TV is about to show them. i don't let my kids watch the show being promoted by the intro because i know what to expect. as long as the networks don't throw curveballs at us, i have no problem with their programming. that, in my opinion, was a bit of a curveball.
nfldraftman
21 years ago
Tony Dungy came out today saying he thought this was racially offensive to him as an African-American male. However his comments that it portrayed the football player as a sexual predator seemed way off to me. She dropped the towel, she was in control of the situation.

As to the right/wrong/offensive issue, I can understand not wanting kids under a certain age to see it. What I want to know is, did parents who got caught off guard by this use it as a chance to explain the nature of love between a man or a woman and the differences between real life and what you see on TV or just get mad and call somebody.
tailgater
21 years ago
I saw the lead-in.
It's aired at 9:00 PM on the East Coast, so the time was OK to see the "nudity".
I was not offended, nor do I think it was truly offensive in any sense.
But it was indeed inappropriate.
Let's not confuse the two.

As for the race issue, until I heard imbecile Tony Dungee cry about it, I didn't give that one thought.
ABC used the NFL to promote their new program, Desperate Housewives. It's working.

As for some comments regarding television in general, I feel that there is a time and a place for everything. TV should not be censored, but they have a vast power and must use common sense so this doesn't become a government control issue.

Cexshun implies that prudent judgement yields unsophisticated adults. That is pure nonsense. My wife and I don't allow our young children to watch certain "kids" programs and cartoons. My kids obey these rules. And they know why.
The fact that adults don't "know why" certain things aren't appropriate is the only thing "offensive" in this whole debate.



usahog
21 years ago
I missed the whole dang thing.. so I will not comment accept to say... we can't even watch football anymore without someone dropping trowl... WTF.. I'm going back to watchin WWF!!!!!!! LOL

Hog
bud451
21 years ago
I agree Tail.

If it was so offensive why are all the "news" and "entertainment" shows showing it 4 times, everyday this week? MNF only showed it once.

IMFO, I find many cartoons and "kids shows" much worse.
jackconrad
21 years ago
I see alot worse on 1/2 the Shows out there. I thought it was funny as hell!!Alot cleaner than our add a caption post.
Liz62803
21 years ago
LOL Hog, WWE is WORSE than dropping towels at time lol they got it all the oopsie daisy of exposure of boobage, the language the sexual connotations but then again they are saying they are sports ENTERTAINMENT.

In regards to the stuff on tv - it's been said before...you don't like what's on....turn the channel, find something else to do other than watching tv. If you and your son like football why don't you go out in the backyard in the late afternoon/early evening and get a game going with some of the neighbors or just the two of you...don't have to worry about anyone dropping a towel or hearing anything sexual being said. And as for single moms not being able to monitor what their children watch....there is such a thing as not having the tv on - or watching video tapes or dvds or God forbid having the children do something like READ omg did I say the R werd! What am I thinking. When I was a kid I loved to read - granted we only had one channel on the tv and the shows were pretty much harmless back then compared to what is shown now. But there is so much other stuff to do than watch tv - what about game nights - where the family gets together and plays games - woooo novel idea there. If you come down to it - if you play your cards right you won't need to have the offensive tv on at all because you'll have other wonderful things to do than have it on. I can think of these things and I don't even have kids...wow....
barryneedleman
21 years ago
In my opinion this was funny as hell and it probably was far less inappropriate than most of the Coors beer commercials that are shown during football games. I have an eleven year old son and would not be upset about him seeing this at all. Just would have given me a chance to discuss the difference between fantasy and reality at a more adult level. In my experience, the younger children look away from this kind of stuff and go "ewwwwww.' The pre-teens and younger teens are the ones that may interpret this stuff badly but in my opinion, it is better that they be exposed to it with you to explain it. They will be exposed to this kind of stuff with their friends anyway (I know I was and that was 40 years ago). The older teens have seen it before. Just my 2 cents.
barryneedleman
21 years ago
Regarding Will and Grace - I found this show funny too. Again, would let my son watch and use the opportunity to explain certain things to him. I seriously doubt he would watch it though as he wouldn't understand the humor. Queer eye for the straight man, I have never watched and won't comment on.
tornado
21 years ago
Cexshun:
The older, more conservative is loosing a grip on society to the younger, more liberal crowd.

I think the election a few weeks ago stated the exact opposite is true. The majority of Americans want to see some moral values imposed accross the board, TV and the Internet are good places to start. My kids are only 1 and 3 right now, but if they were older, there is no way I'd let them roam the net freely. You can't even let a kid have a hotmail account to email his friends without worrying about all the hardcore porn that'll show up in it. Should a 9 year old boy be exposed to that? How could that possibly be a positive experience?
Homebrew
21 years ago
To be honest.
If you don't like the programming change the channel. Most cable boxes, and dish recievers have parental locks. Use them. I don't have kids, and really enjoyed the MNF lead-in. I thought it was great. I think that stations should be allowed to broadcast whatever programing without restraint. If there is no market for it, then they will change the programing. I promise.
As for raising your kids, you can decide what they watch. The TV is not a babysitter, don't try and use it as one.
Have a great day, now back to softcore porn during primetime. LOL
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
P.S. I'd like to see "Clockwerk Orange", during prime time myself.
Users browsing this topic