eye2
12 years ago
I've got a question along these same lines as well. Got a 5 Vegas humidor and another 50-count humidor which is pretty good. But the Caliber IV digital hygrometer is almost always showing 80% or above humidity. It appears that this is close because two "calibrated" analog hygrometers also usually show 80-85%. I'm not adding beads or anything. Just using the included humidifier that came with the humidors and distilled water in them the sponge material inside.

When the Caliber IV hygrometer is removed from the humidor and put on the desk, it settles to around 50%.

What's the deal here? What should be done? From time to time I'll open the humidors for an hour or so to reduce the humidity. But 30 minutes after closing back up, the hygrometer climbs back to 80%

I'll be in Japan for a month starting next week and don't want the 100+ cigars to get ruined. Any ideas of what to do (except smoke them all before leaving) ?

Thanks.
Roaster Dude
12 years ago
Get 65%beads and 65% or 69% bovida packs depending on where you want you RH
then throw away the humidifier that came with the humidor.
Then once your humidor stabilizes you can check your hygrometers with this setup.
When the bovida packs start to loose moisture and gets thin and feels crunchy the you add water.
End of problem...

My 2$
RD
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

Get 65%beads and 65% or 69% bovida packs depending on where you want you RH
then throw away the humidifier that came with the humidor.
Then once your humidor stabilizes you can check your hygrometers with this setup.
When the bovida packs start to loose moisture and gets thin and feels crunchy the you add water.
End of problem...

My 2$
RD

Roaster Dude wrote:


Bovida packs are more accurate than your hygrometers
eye2
12 years ago
Thanks Roaster Dude. Looks like a reasonable solution after visiting the Amazon.com pricing pages. I'll need either a holder for the Bovida components or a bigger container.

Thanks again.
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

Bovida packs are more accurate than your hygrometers

Roaster Dude wrote:


You have to remember that wooden humidors run around 4RH points lower than than the set point of your beads or Bovida packs. so if you want 65% then buy 69% packs
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

Thanks Roaster Dude. Looks like a reasonable solution after visiting the Amazon.com pricing pages. I'll need either a holder for the Bovida components or a bigger container.

Thanks again.

eye2 wrote:


Sure

just throw them in... no holder
eye2
12 years ago
Amazon does sell 69% and 72% for good prices on 4-packs. Some will be purchased.

And you just place them in with the cigars? Under? Over? Some of the cigars didn't come with a wrapper. Is OK to set the Boveda pack directly on or under the unwrapped cigars? Or maybe put the packs on the shelf and the cigars under the shelf?

Sorry... pretty new to this and want to do it correctly without destroying good stuff. Thanks for your help and advice.
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

Amazon does sell 69% and 72% for good prices on 4-packs. Some will be purchased.

And you just place them in with the cigars? Under? Over? Some of the cigars didn't come with a wrapper. Is OK to set the Boveda pack directly on or under the unwrapped cigars? Or maybe put the packs on the shelf and the cigars under the shelf?

Sorry... pretty new to this and want to do it correctly without destroying good stuff. Thanks for your help and advice.

eye2 wrote:


yep just put them where they fit, I would rotate them occasionally if they are touching smokes.
I would be more careful with the 72's they can make the wrappers feel damp.
ZRX1200
12 years ago
Charles?!!!!
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

Charles?!!!!

ZRX1200 wrote:


WTF!! where did he come from?
ZRX1200
12 years ago
His momma *****y!
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

His momma *****y!

ZRX1200 wrote:


LOL She told me I was hatched... now I'm confused???
Roaster Dude
12 years ago
What the He!! is going on? I don't go south anymore...
ZRX1200
12 years ago
eye2
12 years ago
Where? Just show me the way to the Japanese girls.
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

Party?

ZRX1200 wrote:


I like to party...
ZRX1200
12 years ago
It's ok ZRX is a prick.
Roaster Dude
12 years ago

It's ok ZRX is a prick.

ZRX1200 wrote:


I heard that too
Bluedevil
12 years ago

No. I actually graduated without having to bribe instructors with Persian rugs.



How you doin' Randall? Long time no talk buddy...

Thunder.Gerbil wrote:





Thunder, you know too much!! lol


ronco
12 years ago
+1 on the Boveda packs!
been using them for over a year in 3 sepperate Humi's and no problems, no hassles, very worry free.
Users browsing this topic