dstieger
10 years ago
Need to revisit Breaking Bad....watched pilot and second episodes and neither of us saw any reason to watch another.

Finished Wire on Amazon Prime; not Netflix 😞 . Only thing bad that I've got to say about it is that everything I watch from here on will disappoint in comparison

We're working through second season of Graceland....the saving 'grace' for me is the fast pace...if it slows even a little bit, I start picking apart how utterly stupid or far-fetched the plot devices are ....or, worse, start paying even a little attention to the silly drama that keeps the wife interested....I could really not care any less if Page still likes Mike...fn soapy opera-y...but it keeps the wife interested....and at fairly breakneck speed, I can get through it....
DrMaddVibe
10 years ago

Need to revisit Breaking Bad....watched pilot and second episodes and neither of us saw any reason to watch another.

Finished Wire on Amazon Prime; not Netflix 😞 . Only thing bad that I've got to say about it is that everything I watch from here on will disappoint in comparison

dstieger wrote:




We LOVED The Wire too...BUT...

A couple of shows that will deliver the goods...

Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Justified
The Shield
The Blacklist...has it's ups and downs...over all I enjoy it though.

Honorable Mention
Lost
Fringe
The Killing
Deadwood
Hell On Wheels
Longmire
Banshee

You HAVE to go back and watch Breaking Bad...with the wife. I watched them all with mine and we bounced ideas and plots as well as our own takes as to how it's going and where it's going as well. Good to have a co-pilot. She always points out a POV that I wouldn't have thought of...and she tells me the same. Love that woman! 2 episodes? You haven't even met the entire cast at that point.
dstieger
10 years ago
SoA - tried it....turned off by the violence for violence's sake....didn't contribute to the story...just couldn't get into the characters
Shield - watched it start to finish and enjoyed it greatly
Blacklist - Haven't tried it - Spader is one on a short list of 'actors' that ruined something for me just by being in it...like Broderick or Streep or Moranis

On the HM list, only tried Longmire - too episodic and not serial enough....any continuing story was tenuous at best...will look into the others
DrMaddVibe
10 years ago

SoA - tried it....turned off by the violence for violence's sake....didn't contribute to the story...just couldn't get into the characters

dstieger wrote:




It is about a biker gang after all...great character development and plots. Looking forward to the prequel. Supposedly Brad Pitt is playing John Teller...Jax's REAL dad.
dstieger
10 years ago
The older I get, the more disturbed the way violence is portrayed....I'm unsure why. Its rare that I accept graphically depicted violence as suitable.
Yesterday I was in the tv room while my wife was watching some horror tripe that tried to be thriller tripe....I was struck by how easy it would have been to make some of the explicit violence even more powerful by using camera angles, sound and actor expressions....I'm no artist, and certainly no film maker, but I'm sure I could improve an awful lot of the crap out there

When I do find violence acceptable, it generally means that its pretty important to the story...or is shown in a clever or usually off-camera shot. Like in Snatch...great example of lots of violence done in such as way as to not shove it in your face. There's acceptable exceptions and I don't understand why I come out on one side or the other....Pulp Fiction - acceptable; Goodfellas - over the top, too much; In Bruges - over the top, but barely acceptable...as I said, I have no objective standards...but that I get to decide what's too much 🙂
Ruby
10 years ago
Watching on YouTube not Netflex.
The Burns And Allen Show
Amos and Andy
Both histeracal can't get enough. Watching 5 to 6 shows will smoking a cigar.
frankj1
10 years ago
say goodnight, Gracie.
frankj1
10 years ago
wife just finished The Night Of, (I think that's the name) and I sat in on most of the last couple of hours.
Director created an atmosphere that mixed tension and depressing griminess (MACS might be able to school me here) and elicited what I felt was great acting.

Probably won't go back to catch up but sure looked like good stuff.
MACS
10 years ago
Say what? How can I school you?

Are you insulting me? Not that I mind, I'm just not sure. 🤔
dkeage
10 years ago

Say what? How can I school you?

Are you insulting me? Not that I mind, I'm just not sure. 🤔

MACS wrote:


He said you are depressing and grimy. I read it... ✋
frankj1
10 years ago

Say what? How can I school you?

Are you insulting me? Not that I mind, I'm just not sure. 🤔

MACS wrote:


didn't know if I fell for a director's vision of prison and the carry over he painted in the courtroom scenes. Certainly much different than the big splashy trials usually seen on entertainment TV.

Was calling on your expertise...nothing but respect.
frankj1
10 years ago
AH! I see the problem. I never mentioned that it's a show built around criminal accusation, court appearances, and jail...
Whistlebritches
10 years ago
Finished season 6 of Shameless........looking forward to season 7,October 2nd on Showtime.

Now on to Narcos season 2

Then maybe the British version of Shameless........supposedly better than the US version
DrMaddVibe
10 years ago
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Now, when you watch the original you'll see how close to the vest they're playing with the script from overseas.

Just finished Narcos...man...I knew Escobar was a demon. I had forgotten how big a demon he was.
Stinkdyr
10 years ago
Fleabag on Amazon.
Funniest show I have ever seen. If you liked Peep Show, you will love this.
Only 6 episodes in Season 1.
Hope they do more.

=d>
DrMaddVibe
10 years ago

Fleabag on Amazon.
Funniest show I have ever seen. If you liked Peep Show, you will love this.
Only 6 episodes in Season 1.
Hope they do more.

=d>

Stinkdyr wrote:




LOVED Peep Show...I'll check it out.
8trackdisco
10 years ago
Four part documentary on Auscwitz.
therrm
10 years ago
The wife and I watched bloodline and enjoyed it but we don't have much to compare to because we haven't had regular TV for about 3 yrs. The last series I watched regularly before that was Entourage, Dexter, and Nip Tuck.
DrMaddVibe
10 years ago
Watched the 1st couple of episodes of "Fleabag"...it's in my wheelhouse.

Showed the trailer to wifey...now I get to go back and watch them with her.

We both love Olivia Colman...stellar actress...whom was in "Peep Show" too!
ajerrils
10 years ago
Hulu- Rick and Morty for some reason I just can't stop watching. Dumb but funny as hell.
Users browsing this topic