streetrod
9 years ago
For the guys who still use a brush & soap when shaving.
I finally got tired of the high priced razor blades & went back to my old Gillette double edged razor that I used somewhere around 1965 & saved. It still feels great & gives a great shave.
I also want to go back to a shaving brush & shaving soap. I have a good brush but want some suggestions about good shaving soaps, prefer thick lather.
My beard is not real thick nor is my face sensitive.
Thanks
MACS
9 years ago
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php 

I use Edge gel and Mach 3 razors because I can shave without cutting myself all to pieces. I tried the fancy stuff... I don't like it.

The way to do it properly with the older style equipment takes 5 times as long as if I shave my way. Shaving is not enjoyment for me, it's a chore.
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
^^^ Since "you prefer THICK LATHER"...

I suggest you milk drafter's, jade's and TW's....

then see which one lathers up the best...



(DUDE...YOU KNOW WAY BETTER THAN TO WORD AN O.P....like you just did...come on...)

Don't fall for the "RICK" pawn shop commercial
For straight razors....
Tons of "new shaving club offers" for a whole year on TV
streetrod
9 years ago
Mr. jones, you never disappoint!!! After I posted, I realized it, and just waited.
I really don't mind shaving and find it relaxing now that I have the time. I enjoy using a brush to lather up my face but need some good shaving soap. Never got into the soap aspect.
Rick's stuff is crap. I probably own about 20 razors from the 1940's through the 1970's.along with about 50 straight razors that I have collected.
I also have 3 antique barber chairs from the 1930's & 1940's in my man cave along with 2 child chairs that fit on the top of the chairs.
Gene363
9 years ago
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php 

I use Edge gel and Mach 3 razors because I can shave without cutting myself all to pieces. I tried the fancy stuff... I don't like it.

The way to do it properly with the older style equipment takes 5 times as long as if I shave my way. Shaving is not enjoyment for me, it's a chore.



Excellent source for shaving information

I have a double edge Merker razor for a super close shave, however it is going to draw blood. For routine shaving I have settled on Harry's razors. They work well, are inexpensive and almost never draw blood. Since my beard grows in every direction I must make multiple passes and since I hate shaving and I'm impatient. The Harry's blades can be thrown around your face in a way that a double edge would never tolerate and you would be bleeding profusely.

I usually just use hot water and shave after showering. If I want lather I use Harry's Foaming Shaving Gel. For a really close shave I prefer Caswell Massey almond or Aramis shaving soap applied with an ancient Arimis badger brush.
madspackler
9 years ago
I shave daily with a brush and shave soap and a Schick Hydro razor. Yes it is old school but that is what works for me.
There is a three pack of different shave soaps available at Duluth Trading from Edward Jagger. They are nice soaps and very long lasting as well as reasonably priced. There is also a store chain called The Art of Shaving that has a nice selection of great products but they are more pricey. Caswell Massey also has a nice selection of shave soaps and accessories.

I find a nice warm shave a quiet and relaxing part of starting my day. Use hot water and a quality brush. I have a small plastic container for the shave soap that works well and does not break if I drop it, nor does it deteriorate when it gets wet. Find what works for you. I have a travel brush and a small tube of shave creme for going on trips and getting thru the airport. The soaps last a long time so I do not mind spending a few dollars on what works well for me.

Enjoy
Abrignac
9 years ago
As far as advice about saving, I'd caution against using anything less than a safety razor. There are some serious arteries just below the skin near your taint. Though you'd be dead, dying with a junk full of lather is not the way I'd want to be remembered.
jjanecka
9 years ago
There's some italian **** that my buddy uses. He's all straight razor and strop. Might be good but I can't remember the name.

Personally, I use creme o creme which does a pretty good job but doesn't lather on thick.
MACS
9 years ago
Gene, I hear you. I go with the grain, against the grain, and then across where necessary (jawline). Even if you're using a good safety razor with one blade, such as the Merkur, you best go slowly and not use much pressure or you will get cut.

I shower first, splash hot water on my face, then lather before each pass (with, against). With the gel and Mach 3 I very rarely even nick myself and I can be done with the whole shave in 5 minutes.
streetrod
9 years ago

As far as advice about saving, I'd caution against using anything less than a safety razor. There are some serious arteries just below the skin near your taint. Though you'd be dead, dying with a junk full of lather is not the way I'd want to be remembered.

Abrignac wrote:




AnthonyThanks for the advise, that's not the area I was talking about!!! I usually have that area done for me by my female massage therapist.

Gene: thanks, will try the Aramis soap. I also use a badger brush.

Madspackler: will check them out!!!
grmcooper
9 years ago
Shaved door handles are cool
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
I have a buddy that is hardcore into the old school shaving stuff. He waid to check out Sterling Soaps, Barrister and Mann, Dr. Jon's and RazoRock.

He said if you are willing to do a cream, Taylor of Old Bond Street is the best on the market.

He also said you can get samplers from Sterling Soaps and Maggard Razors.
streetrod
9 years ago

Shaved door handles are cool

grmcooper wrote:


Don't forget to do the the hoods & trunks also!!!

Hank; thanks for the info.
frankj1
9 years ago
better than any cream, gel, soap et al is good old Noxema in the blue tub.

Provides a much better glide than all the others...then use any blade you like.
Whistlebritches
9 years ago



Provides a much better glide than all the others

frankj1 wrote:



Frank.......can I be your back door man?
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

For the guys who still use a brush & soap when shaving.
I finally got tired of the high priced razor blades & went back to my old Gillette double edged razor that I used somewhere around 1965 & saved. It still feels great & gives a great shave.
I also want to go back to a shaving brush & shaving soap. I have a good brush but want some suggestions about good shaving soaps, prefer thick lather.
My beard is not real thick nor is my face sensitive.
Thanks

streetrod wrote:




Been using Feather Hi-Stainless DE blades for a long time.I collect vintage Gillette DE razors,Fatboys and Super Speeds along with a couple UK made Gillette Rocket's.I also use a Parker 45R DE.............As for shave creams and soaps my daily soap is Arko.......best value out there and it provides a helluva shave.I also love Proraso Green......it has eucalyptus that feels great on the skin.My Sunday go to meeting creme is Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Creme........the soap is ok but the creme is outstanding.I also collect Old Spice shave mugs.......the 60-64 models are my favorites.A couple badger hair brushes and you're in business.

BTW those Arko sticks will press perfectly into a half pint jar.......just warm them about 5 seconds in the microwave and press into the bottom of the jar.
frankj1
9 years ago

Frank.......can I be your back door man?

Whistlebritches wrote:


I should have known that an adult response to question seeking earnest advice from knowledgeable participants would be met with mockery and derision from an immature viewer...

so grow up you poopy head.

Oh, and yes, you can.
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
I use $1.00 cans of BARBESOL shave cream with aloe and cheap AZZ Dollar tree double bladed razors, sometimes cheapies from Wal-Mart, green Wilkinson double disposables..
Believe it or not...those old single bladed white disposable razors with the yellow coverguard
Made by BOX ARE REALLY GOOD...GO SLOW
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
Made by BIC ^^
ZRX1200
9 years ago
I buy bulk packs of good disposables at Costco, and use Cremo Cooling shave cream. I also have a nice set up of shampoo, oils and balm for my beard.

I like to use hair conditioner when shaving my balls. Ron can attest to their smoothness.
Users browsing this topic