Whistlebritches
6 years ago
Gene363
6 years ago

Last year I did some flood insurance adjusting so I can from experience. In the past FEMA would in fact cover repeated losses to the same dwellings. However, that trend is changing. If a structure repeatedly has losses an audit was required. In addition, if communities don’t enforce building guidelines the premiums will skyrocket. For the first time I’m seeing homes here abandoned because FEMA is making it difficult, or not possible for dwellings with repeated losses to participate.

After the 2016 flood our mayor was adamant about getting our community into a preferred risk class to keep premiums from going to the moon. Every home that filed a FEMA claim was inspected by the city building inspector. Any home considered to have major damage (damages representing more than 50% of the home’s market value) would only be permitted if it’s lowest floor was one foot above the base elevation. If the dwelling could not be permitted it was condemned.

Abrignac wrote:




Hats off to the mayor for doing the right thing, the hard thing, pretty rare these days.

It's pretty easy to sit at my keyboard and condemn the situation, OTOH, if it is the house you own and lived in, it's a complete different matter.

I spent about nine years as a dam operator in the LA Flood Control District, so flooding is always important to me. Even after becoming a migrant radiation worker I've always been picky about where we lived as we moved across the country. Flood probability knowledge isn't new or uncommon, but often ignored by developers and consumers.
Mr. Jones
6 years ago
Ray....

What's the latest?
How is your area doing?

The flooding is all over the national news...
Worst flooding ever...
fishinguitarman
6 years ago
It’s cresting right now at 38’ and more rain 🌧 s coming. Where I live, Only a few miles from the mess, we’re ok.

rfenst
6 years ago
Ray, What's the deal? Your family and home oK?
USNGunner
6 years ago

It’s cresting right now at 38’ and more rain 🌧 s coming. Where I live, Only a few miles from the mess, we’re ok.

fishinguitarman wrote:




Glad to hear you're well.
Gene363
6 years ago

It’s cresting right now at 38’ and more rain 🌧 s coming. Where I live, Only a few miles from the mess, we’re ok.

fishinguitarman wrote:



👍 👍 👍
Speyside
6 years ago
Anthony, a serious question, would it be possible to move the graves to a area that won't flood or would that be a logistical impossibility. What you say has meaning and I haven't thought about it from the perspective you spoke about.
Speyside
6 years ago
Also could houses be rebuilt on cement pillars on cement pads that have proper in ground cement posts? I know cement posts is not the right term, but I can't think of it. Would it make any difference in that the house would be 20 30 feet off the ground. I have seen this in FLORIDA.
Mr. Jones
6 years ago
Spey...

I think your idea is a no brainier...
But as of yet...
Nobody has done it except smart people with more money than the AVG. BeAR....who have experienced flooding first hand..

Everybody Else just buys federal flood insurance...

It is a crying shame...give the claiment $10 k more for
8 foot stilts And no more claims ever again...

It's too logical and efficient...
8trackdisco
6 years ago

More rain M-Th

fishinguitarman wrote:



Yikes. More snow than usual for us and Minnesota. The headwaters of the Sip will be loading up heavy. Hope for a graduaul warm up this spring. If we get a week of 45 degree days out of the blue, you are sunk (literally).
Mr. Jones
6 years ago
Ray, are you still unaffected?

How about low lying neighbors?

God bless...& Good luck!!!

It looks bad on national news video...I mean really bad...
delta1
6 years ago
yah...hope he and his family are not where it is really bad...
fishinguitarman
6 years ago
The river crested lower than first projected. So at this point not as many homes
Were flooded. There is rain moving in however flash flooding is the biggest threat.

I sincerely appreciate y’alls concern!!! We will see what happens with all the rain this week
DrMaddVibe
6 years ago
corey sellers
6 years ago
Keep us updated Ray
USNGunner
6 years ago

Keep us updated Ray

corey sellers wrote:



Please. I would hate to show up at the herf with no rubbers and find out I need them. 🤦
corey sellers
6 years ago
Rubbers hell is there going to be some ladies of the night there.

corey sellers
6 years ago
fishinguitarman
6 years ago
Water is receding BUT 2-3” tonight n tomorrow expected
Users browsing this topic