critter2
18 years ago
bought a double ligero at a shop in west palm to try. it was labeled double ligero but the wrapper was not the same as posted in ci, and had a red band with "premium line" (if i remember correctly). was not as i expected-sort of flat, strong but with only a lucky strike type flavor. is this the la flor dominicana i have read so much about here or should i continue to try and pick up a 5er to try. this was a lot more like a te-amo.
Thunder.Gerbil
18 years ago
That wasn't an LFD Double Ligero that you bought. It was an LFD Premium Line.

All the LFD cigars that I've seen say the name of the cigar line on a second band under the LFD band.

The Premium Line uses a red band, the Ligero, Double Ligero, Limatado all use black bands.

Never tried the Premium line, but I've heard that they are pretty bland, and AFAIK, they do come in two different wrappers.
SteveR@CigarBid
18 years ago
I just wrote a review on La Flor Double Ligero. I was far from impressed. Strength...yeah, any maker can create a strong cigar. But there was no real flavor to keep me wanting to puff on it.
critter2
18 years ago
that was my experience-thanx for the response
qmechanics
18 years ago
Hi
I enjoy the double ligero quite a bit. I do not think it is for everyone.It is more complex to my palate then some here would indicate.
Q
critter2
18 years ago
i will try them again and i am not sure that this was a double ligero, as in #2 it was the premium line. for a stronger smoke i like camacho 62 or an antano. if i am full and can remain immobile for a period - make it a coyolar.
qmechanics
18 years ago
Hi
^I understand.I was responding to Steve's comments. I enjoy strong smokes. If you do as well, give the double ligero a try. I think you might enjoy them.
Q
PS The ligero is a good smoke as well.
Thunder.Gerbil
18 years ago
RE #6-

Go to La Flor Dominicana's website and you can see the different bands.

I would put the LFD Ligero strength at something more than the Camacho 1962 but less than the Coyolar. About equal to the Corojo. (to me, the Coyolar's always seemed stronger than the Corojo) I'd put the Double Ligero at equal to the Coyolar or maybe even a bit stronger.

I think the Ligero has better flavors than the Double Ligero personally.
andytv
18 years ago
SteveR........can you confirm that the LFD Double Ligero chisels were offered with two different wrappers?
Thunder.Gerbil
18 years ago
^
Andy, go to LFD's website and look at the Double Ligero lineup. The Chisel and Chiselito both come in a maduro and natural wrapper.
andytv
18 years ago
^that's how I remember it.

the maduro has a MUCH better flavor.
Thunder.Gerbil
18 years ago
Just checked Perelman's, yup.

The Double Ligero Chisel and Chiselito are both available with either an Ecuadorian (colorado) USA/Connecticut Broadleaf maduro.

All of the La Flor Ligero's appear to be available in either a natural (Ecuadorian) wrapper or a Mexican broadleaf maduro.
Whistlebritches
18 years ago
Have not had a bad LFD but I have not tried the premium line.The Ligero L-250 cabinet oscuro is one of my faves.I also enjoy the L-400 oscuro when time permits.That oscuro wrapper just brings out the best in these IMNSHO.Give one of these the nose test.....anything that smells that good can't be bad.

Ron

teedubbya
18 years ago
Ligero L-250 cabinet

one of my favorites too
Torpedo1
18 years ago
Yes, the maduro is a much more flavorfull smoke.
davey
18 years ago
ditto on Torps last post.





Thunder....how the HELL do you know so much on SO many lines, brother. In earnest, that is why several months back when I posted that thread about someone cdalling me an aficionado, I luaghed!! Remember?
qmech
8 years ago
You see how well folks on cbid got along, more than a decade ago? There I am a little qmechanics posting about LFD Double Ligero, just a little guy in a big puffing world...It brings tears to my eyes thinking about how grown up I've become...well sort of .. I guess....who really knows....just shut up already.... Sorry that was rude....I have to find my special place now...bye...
Q
Pudding Mittens
8 years ago

I just wrote a review on La Flor Double Ligero. I was far from impressed. Strength...yeah, any maker can create a strong cigar. But there was no real flavor to keep me wanting to puff on it.

SteveR@CigarBid wrote:


A few years ago an LFD rep asked me what I thought of their cigars. I honestly answered, "Overall usually not spectacular but usually pretty good, however to me they're overpriced for what they are."

He thanked me for the opinion, and was really nice about it.

My main problem with LFD, like with a lot of other brands (the Avo Nicaraguans, Davidoff Nicaraguans, many others), is that I can get any of several AJ Fernandez-made cigars that equal or outperform it for half the price and often significantly less than that. So... why would I pay much more?
.
tonygraz
8 years ago
Q, you are digging up old posts - at least this one's only 10 years old. Just smoked a LFD Alcalde premium line last week- didn't care for it, but I fondly remember the douible ligeros I smoked.
Users browsing this topic