HockeyDad
22 years ago
Here is your chance.

As already discussed on this board, troops coming home on R&R leave are being flown at government expense to Germany or Baltimore. Any further travel is at their own expense. A number of airlines have already stepped up with seriously reduced fares. Now there is a way for you to help even further.

Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger (Democrat-Maryland) has started a program to allow people to donate frequent flyer miles to a fund that will be used to purchase tickets for troops on R&R to destinations beyond Baltimore. He got Delta Airlines to start it and now Southwest Airlines and Alaska Airlines are on board as well with comparable programs. There should be others coming because the congressman is pushing hard for all the airlines to step up to the plate. The tickets will start being purchased November 1 and frequent flyer miles donations are now being accepted.

For information about the program including how to donate and on-line forms:

http://www.heromiles.org/ 

For information about Delta's specific program:

http://www.delta.com/home/press/tacindex.jsp?file=8013e0a7_content.html&tactype=Current&tacitem=Release&title=Delta%27s%20%22SkyMiles%20for%20Heroes%22%20Support%27s%20U.S.%20Military%20Rest%20%26%20Relaxation%20Program 

If you are a frequent business traveler like myself, you now have an opportunity to put those accumulated miles to good use. Everybody likes to say they support the troops, here's your chance.....

I've purged my Delta SkyMiles account of all 26K miles.....anybody care to match??? Let's buy some airline tickets.
E-Chick
22 years ago
Thanks for the info! I don't belong to a frequent flyer club, but will pass this along to others that do...

Marla
Homebrew
22 years ago
Damn,
A Democrat, doing what is right. May wonders never cease.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
usahog
22 years ago
LOL @ Homebrew...

Hey HockeyDad... I don't fly enough "Civilian Airlines" to collect FFM's... so I emailed this to my Sis who works for AA to see if their also in on a deal like this....

Thanks for sharing
Hog
buffallo
22 years ago
usahog, what do you fly.. mac flights?
usahog
22 years ago
Usually Yes Buffallo...

Hog
HockeyDad
22 years ago
Hog, you're missing out by not flying commercial airlines....The tremendous legroom, awesome food, overly friendly flight attendants, and so on. Actually, it probably is about the same as a jump seat on a C-17 but at least if you try to stretch your legs into the aisle, you won't kick a Humvee.
buffallo
22 years ago
Hockey, I took a flight to Hawaii via cali from dallas on a c-5. The plane had airliner seating in it. More room than I ever had in commercial. Of course there is that pesky lack of heating and cabin noise. (They issue you a sack lunch, a blanket, and a pair of ear plugs.)

Ezell
usahog
22 years ago
Yea Buf.. but them C-5s your feet freeze and your sweating from your bellbutton on up LMAO!!!! and your riding backwards!!!!!

141 or KC 135 for me Please!!!!!...

Hockydad I always unstrap and sprawl out on top of a pallet!!! LOL

Hog
HockeyDad
22 years ago
Update:

United Airlines and Pan Am Airlines have started programs as well. Pan Am will provide free tickets to troops on R&R on a space available basis and United has established a fund for miles donations. United started the fund will 10 million miles just like Delta and in addition will match 1 for 1 the first 5 million miles donated by frequent flyers.

As of Nov 8, 18.2 million frequent flyer miles have been donated from individuals through the www.heromiles.org website.

In addition, the Iraq Supplemental Spending Bill originally did not have funding for R&R flights but does now have some funding for R&R flights so once it takes affect, there will be another means for getting the troops home without out of pocket costs for airline tickets. Congress does listen sometimes.

Keep those donations coming!
jdrabinski
22 years ago
hog is freeloading off the government?
usahog
22 years ago
Somebody tell the Professor, all my Free Loads were in Conjunction to TDY destinations to Protect his A$$ and the Sovernty of the United States.. the Country in Which His Truely cannot Stand!!!!

Hog
jdrabinski
22 years ago
Smooch!

I was just kidding around, for god's sake!
HockeyDad
22 years ago
Wait a minute....Hog's freeloading off the government?
I am absolutely shocked..

Hog, I didn't realize you were a college professor at a public university!

Hey John, kick in some miles!

Smooch!
jdrabinski
22 years ago
I am not a professor at a public university, bro. Old information! LOL! We actually work pretty damn hard to educate your children for little pay. But I'm sure you know SO much about what professors do...more than I, no doubt...

I just liked the image of usahog as a welfare 'queen,' as Reagan put it in '80.
HockeyDad
22 years ago
Smooch!

I was just kidding around, for god's sake!
HockeyDad
22 years ago
Update:

American Airlines and AirTran Airways have now
started programs for miles or flight credit donations.

Airlines with donation programs now are:

AirTran
Alaska
American
Delta
Pan Am
Southwest
United
usahog
22 years ago
Hmmmmmm I wonder if sending the Info you posted at the top to my Sister helped out with American getting on Board??? LoL

Hog
HockeyDad
22 years ago
83 million frequent flyer miles donated so far.

Troops on emergency leave can also take advantage of the program.
HockeyDad
22 years ago
137 million miles donated so far! Enough for 5,500 round trip airline tickets.
Users browsing this topic