Homebrew
22 years ago
Hey Guys,
Since the first birthday bomb, last April, my taste in cigars have changed Dramatically. I have let many of my old "go to" cigars, languish in the bottom, of my coolers, in favor of CAO, A.Fuentes, Padron, Bucanero, etc. But today, I was feeling cheap, my medical bills from last month started hitting this morning. So for my morning smoke, instead of reaching for a CAO Brazilia Samba, I dug down past that box, to the box of "The Cigar" by Perdomo, in the double corona vitola. I last tasted this smoke, in March, so this box has over 7 months, of age on it. As I toasted the foot, preparing myself to be disappointed, I noticed a very pleasent prelight aroma.Though the burn is a little uneven, the flavors have exploded, all over my palate. I taste touches of anise, leather, and just a touch of cinnimon. All mingling, in a very creamy base of pure pleasure. What a difference some age makes, on this cigar. Yummy changes have taken place. I will not overlook this smoke again. With age these are some of the best cheap smokes out there.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
remington850
22 years ago
Thanks Dave for that review. It reminds me that I have a few sitting in the bottom of my dor. Maybe I will try one tonight.

Remington
xibbumbero
22 years ago
This cigar got a lot of bad reviews when they first come out. I got a box of the torps in a trade and after trying one,I agreed. Not a very good cigar. After a year napping they were transformed into a very good smoke. X
xrundog
22 years ago
A lot of Nics are like that! Ignore them for awhile and they really improve!
smithbw
22 years ago
Dave - Thanks for the review...Awesome!

I agree with your assesment that these are good smokes "With Time"... I would add to the list of good inexpensive cigars:

Honduran Embassy - I discovered these this week and boy for the money they are very good.

Mayorga
Consuegra
Don Juan Platinum Maduro

Of course I have a few more up my sleeve but I wanna keep em cheap...

In closing, I hope that I have not hijacked your thread, just wanted to add a few more good gars to the list.

Regards,


B




remington850
22 years ago
Billy I would have to disagree with the Mayorga. They are horrible awefull smokes so everyone just stay away from them. Also if you have any you should send them all to me for proper disposal.

Remington
smithbw
22 years ago
LMAO - I burned the one that you sent me Sunday watching the Game! Thanks Bro!

Regards,


B
turnberry
22 years ago
I had this exact experience about a month ago. Did not like these initially when I got them about a year ago. Seemed pretty bland. But after the time in the humi these are now a very nice smoke. I actually ordered a few more recently.
lenny4z
22 years ago
I have some that are about a year old and I just had one recently and thought the same thing. They were not bad to start with but they certainly got better with age.

-Lenny
gorob23
22 years ago
Careful the High Octane Tor's are just really really bad , cough cough
Homebrew
22 years ago
Yeah Rob,
I must agree, especially since someone outbid me for those this morning. WAS THAT YOU??
They're Aweful
It was you wasn't it?
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
Thanks for the warning on the Mayorgas I have several High Octanes that have been in the Humi since last Dec. will just give to my brother in law.
jgjam
22 years ago
My "go to" seems to change with the seasons. At times it is a full-bodied smoke like JDNs then other times of the year it would be something light like a AVO. Eventually the season cycles around and I'm back to the full-bodied for a while.

John
remington850
22 years ago
Hey rdk if you are serious we might be able to ahh uhum do a trade?
arwings
22 years ago
Still have "The Cigar" torps resting in the humi. About six months now. Lit one up about a month ago (five months resting) and still got an uneven burn and slightly "green" taste. This post is encouraging as I had about given up on them. Will try one in a few more months and see if there is more improvement.
remington850
22 years ago
Well Dave you got me to thinking tonight about cigars that are buried in the bottom so I went searching for something that I haven't tried in awhile. Found a Jose Bartolo that I had bought a bundle of a long time ago in my beginnings as a hand rolled cigar smoker.

As far as I can remember these were not that great but they have had a little while to rest so what the heck. At first light not much flavor or smoke but after about a quarter inch or so it started to perk up some, then about half way it kind of died, bad burn problems and the flavor turned in to harshness. Oh well there is only a few left maybe some more time will help.

Remington
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
remington 850 just kidding about the high octanes they just keep getting better. wish I had more with a little age.
remington850
22 years ago
Figured you were but never hurts to try LOL

Remington
Homebrew
22 years ago
Well,
That Perdomo, got me started. This has turned into the weekend, to try all the old cigars, that have been out of my rotation, for 8 months or more. Started the day, with a Not So Fresh Rolled Wheel, by Perdomo, 14 months, in the bottom of the Coolerdor. I actually, liked these, when I first got them, and was extremely happy with the one today, though I will have to smoke another, when I am not at work, and have time to enjoy it, enough to review it. La Hoya Selecta, was the big surprise today. I smoked a Maduro, not sure but it appears to be a lonsdale. Slightly veiny, medium Maduro, wrapper. Prelight aroma, nice but nothing special. Blazed up nicely producing volumes of rich creamy smoke. Slightly uneven burn, but it was selfcorrecting, I love it when that happens. The flavor had hints of spice, anise, and leather, a medium body, good strength, but not overpowering, on an empty stomach. Smoked it down to a nub, even though I usually don't smoke the smaller ring guages down, this burned nice and cool, to the nub. I Like em.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Users browsing this topic