gvlagos
  • gvlagos
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
I was wondering, how long does it take to get rid of the cigar/smoke smell when using the Csonka Smoker Cloaker? I am really interested in something like this because my roomates aren't big on the cigar smell, and its waaayyy too cold to smoke outside now.
Any thoughts??
-George
ilovecigars29
22 years ago
i'm in the same boat.
does this thing work?
and like gvlagos said. how long before the smell goes away?
plabonte
22 years ago
I have one for my car and found that it doesn't eliminate the smell. It just covers it with its own smell which is quite unique and not much better.
sketcha
22 years ago
Great! Thanks, Steve.

I just won one last week. It should be here Fri. I guess I can still use it when the smoking room is unoccupied for a time and then open windows before reoccupation. From the article, it does look like it works on smoke as in fire damage.
gvlagos
  • gvlagos
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Anyone have any first hand experience that can let me know how long before the cigar smell is gone? Is it immidiatley after i'm done that the smell is gone, or does it take a few hours?
-George
docrks
22 years ago
George -
we have 2 Pro Model Csonkas going 24/7 in a house of 6000 sq feet - and unless somebody walks in within minutes of our finishing smoking - no one has ever made a negative comment about offensive cigar smells. Some have even been surprised that there is daily cigar smoking going on in the premises. These units are expensive - but they do a great job..... the ozone comment is a fair one - but the Pro Model has a regulator for how much ozone you are putting out --- sometimes it does "smell" like there was just a lightning and hard rain storm in our middle and upper level rooms......
W2VQY
22 years ago
After reading that acticle I am not too sure about using mine. I guess its out to the garage for me. 😞

W2VQY
plabonte
22 years ago
Again these do not eliminate the smell they only cover it. If I smoke a cigar in my car and then run the purifer I can't smell the cigar only the purifier smell. If I unplug the purifer (even after a 24 hour period) the smell of the cigar is still there.
JonR
22 years ago
Yo plabonte: I have a csonka pro and it works great in the house as I leave it on 24/7. The reason you have a cigar odor in your car is most likely you have been smoking cigars in your car for sometime before you purchased the purifier and the odor is imbedded in your car upholstery. JMHO JonR
plabonte
22 years ago
That is not the case JonR. I did not start smoking in my car until I had the purifier.

Also, if you have yours running 24/7 then you always have the purifier smell going. Therefore you can't tell if the smoke smell is being eliminated or covered.

If you plan on running it 24/7 it is true that you can't smell cigar smoke while its going. But for me personally I found that the chemicalish stink of the ozone purifier was worse then the cigar smell. Maybe it was more overpowering for me because its in a car and in tight quarters. But I can't stand to be in the car when its been running for awhile and when I unplug the unit the cigar smell returns.
gvlagos
  • gvlagos
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
JonR...
does it leave it's own chemical smell in your home??
i dont want to replace one smell with another.
-George
Slimboli
22 years ago
Hasn't everyone gone outsite after a thunderstorm (or rain storm) and smelled the air?

That's what it smells like when you use an 'ozone' purifier in your car or home ...

What it does, is it draws contaminated air into its discharge chamber, where impurities are destroyed naturally. Then, purified air (similar to the clean, fresh air created by a thunderstorm) then streams silently upward at about 100 feet per minute (about the same flow as human breathing) to your mouth, nose, and eyes.

This is the same technology (far more effective than ionization) that has been used by the military and industry for years.
Slimboli
22 years ago
plabonte --- ozone purifiers do not cover odors, they destroy them ...

I just read an artilce that stated in clinical trials at the UCLA school of microbiology, the ozone purifier has been shown to eliminate more than 90% of airborne bacteria ... including germs, pollutants, smoke, and allergens.
docrks
22 years ago
Slim is dead on target here !!!!!!

Also, there is a strong correlation of lingering odors in homes with carpet and those with mainly hard wood floors --- those carpets really trap and HOLD the offending odour.
Steve*R
22 years ago
People should, of course, make their own decisions on whether to use ozone generating air cleaners, but I think it's important to look at all the information available. The EPA studies, cited above, should, at least, be read by those who have family members with air quality issues.
JonR
22 years ago
Yo gvlagos: Once again Slim has hit the nail directly on the head. I agree with Slim. I intend to buy a second Csonka Pro after the holidays for my upstairs TV room. OBTW I did a Google search and CI and C-Bid are the cheapest place to buy a Csonka. JonR
plabonte
22 years ago
I'm only telling you of my personal experience. Perhaps my unit isn't working correctly.

gvlagos in answer to your question the Ozone doesn't leave a lingering sent in your house. Once you unplug it the smell goes away.

I had a friend in my car last night and he said, "Do you smoke in the car". To me that means the smell is NOT being eliminated. Now I didn't have the unit running at the time but did have it running for 24 hours after I smoked.

To me the smell is not like after a rain storm smell. It is very chemically (not like anything I can describe though). But that could be because a car is such a small area. In a home the smell might not be as overpowering as there is more area for it to dissipate. If I could tone down the smell it might work well. Maybe I'll have to leave a window cracked open or something.
Kazama
22 years ago
George
I have a Pro model and an ozone unit for my car. I am a relatively new cigar fan and worried about lingering smoke odors in my home and the negative effects of smoke odors on the resale value of luxury automobiles.
First issue, speed. The smoke odor does not disappear instantly. A lot depends on the size of the room and the size of the Cloaker, but it does take a while for the smell to go away. The ozone molecules need time to interact with every smoke particle in the room.
Second issue, smell. The ozone has a scent. To me it is not really a chemical smell but more like when you are doing laundry in the washer with a tiny amount of bleach in a big room crossed with the smell of a recent rain storm. I do not find it at all offensive. In fact after a while I can no longer smell it.
Third issue, does it work. I used to smoke outside, then only in one bathroom with a good exhaust fan. Even with the fan on the smoke would hang on the towels, shower curtain, etc. With the Pro model Cloaker on while I am smoking and for 30 minutes or so after, the smell is completely gone. The next morning with a "fresh nose" there is absolutely no smell in the room or even a hint in the towels. The smoke is not masked by another smell, it seems to truly vanish. The Cloaker is working well enough that I bid and won another for my business/office (or whatever I can get away with) and I will be smoking in other rooms in my home as well. In the car I use it the same as home, that is I only run it when I smoke and afterwards. I usually vent the sunroof or crack a window while smoking but using the auto ozone, the next morning there is no smoke odor at all. Again, I am a relatively new smoker and I have NEVER smoked in my car and I believe this is relavent. As another post stated, if you have smoked in your car previously, there are buildups in the seats, door panels, ceiling, etc that will make the smell come back. Since my car is a true "virgin" and I don't allow the smoke to linger inside, giving it a chance to adhere to things, so far there is no odor of smoke in it at all.
Lare
sketcha
22 years ago
Thanks, Kazama.

I feel better. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out! = )
Users browsing this topic