gvlagos
  • gvlagos
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Hey everyone, i am looking for some help...
I recieved a new humidor through a trade on the forum (THANKS JAZZMAN), and i got it yesterday. So i took a damp towel (distilled water), and wetted down the interior a little bit, and then i charged the humidifier (distilled water, and prometheus claims it comes charged with 50/50 solution), and then i put a shot glass half full of distilled water. Anyway, it has been sitting overnight, and i was wondering if i can put my cigars in there. The digital hygrometer reads 70%. Should i wait another night, or can i go ahead and put my cigars in?
-George
i was thinking maybe i should take out the shot glass and see if it stays at 70%, but i'm so eager...what do you all think?
turnberry
22 years ago
I'd take the shot glass out and unless the humidity drops a lot go ahead and put those babies in there! It may take a few days to totally stabilize but that will probably happen sooner if it is not empty.
ajeroth
22 years ago
Ummm I suggest putting the cigars in but leave the shot glass... The new cigars will leach the moisture from the cedar and then you have a dry box. So leave the shot glass so the cigars pull from the glass instead of the cedar. Just my 2 cents

ajeroth
arwings
22 years ago
I'd give it maybe 24 hours after taking the shot glass out. Check the humidity reading then. Also remember, when you first put cigars in, depending on their moisture or dryness, the humidity is probably going to vary slightly up or down until the entire interior (including the cigars) stabilizes.

One observation; at first I tried using a moistened cloth to wipe down the interior of a dry humidor, but then found it to be unnecessary. I also noticed that in some cases it would significantly raise the wood fibers in the Spanish cedar lining. Doesn't really cause a problem, I just didn't like the way it looked. Just my thoughts..............
JonR
22 years ago
Yo gvlagos: I say leave the shot glass in until your humidity stabilizes to where you want it then remove the shot glass and see what happens. Hmmmm shot glass in / shot glass out, where have I heard that before sounds familar...LOL JonR
Users browsing this topic